[2E] Theros Scion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [2E] Theros Scion?

So, I recently got interested in Magic The Gathering's Theros - Beyond Death set, the eponymous plane being heavily inspired by ancient greece and greek mythology. How would I go about doing a campaign that took place in this setting? What would the pantheon be like? What would their PSP Be? Something to do with the Nyx?

I can already think of what a couple of the gods' purviews would be. The prime gods of Theros are few, only coming in at six backed up by just shy of a dozen minor deities, but because they are based off of the mana colors in that game, they tend to have a lot under their domain.

The Prime Gods__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

Heliod, The Sun-Crowned - Heliod is the god of the sun, law, justice, family, and retribution, presiding over judicial and political matters as well as morning meals, self sacrifice and marriage. While he styles himself as the ruler and most powerful god of Theros' pantheon, this matter is up for debate and has lead to a schism between him and Purphoros, not helped by Heliod's personality. Heliod is arrogant, borderline narcissistic, to a fault, demanding regular praise from both mortals and other gods. He also has a track record of reacting very poorly when he feels the people of Theros adore someone else more than himself. This arrogance came to a peak when he murdered Elspeth, a planeswalker that had been his champion, because he felt she was more adored by the populace than himself, even going so far as to pettily taunt her during this betrayal in front of her longtime friend and ally, fellow planeswalker Ajani. Despite being a god of Justice, Heliod can also be very underhanded and deceptive, trying to burn Elspeth alive with sun rays when first meeting her merely to obtain the sword she was carrying, before lying about it and deciding to make her his champion, turning her sword (Itself a powerful relic of Purphoros' she had retrieved in a previous visit to Theros) into a spear known as Godsend.

Many deities in Theros believe Heliod's mental state is rapidly declining into megalomania, the most recent example of this being his turning Elspeth's former lover, Daxos, into his demigod, making him more powerful but enslaving him to do the god's bidding... namely (and secretly), to eradicate every other deity on Theros and crown himself the supreme god.

Easily the most iconic of Heliod's possessions is Khrusor, the Sun Spear, a powerful weapon he is said to be able to cast anywhere on Theros, that carries enough force behind it to smash an island into the sea, at least if the rumors are to be believed. Some other rumors spread by a resurrected Elspeth have claimed something altogether different, however, saying that the true Khrusor is a weapon wielded by herself called the Shadow Spear, which she obtained in the underworld.
    Callings: Judge, Leader, Trickster.
    Purviews: Deception, Epic Strength, Fertility, Health, Order, Prosperity, Sun, Stars, [Undecided PSP].

Purphoros, The Bronze-Blooded- Purphoros is the god of fire, the forge, invention, energy, labor, artisans, passion and obsession. Worshipped by artists and craftsmen, namely those that are human or satyr, Purphoros is said to have gifted bronze to mortals, and his most fervent worshippers even have small amounts of iron. Purphoros is credited with sewing ore into the deep places of the earth, as he constantly reshapes the earth in a cycle of destruction and recreation. Despite his passionately obsessive tendencies, Purphoros is known as being “Reasonable, yet unrestricted,” being good-hearted but prone to bouts of mania when in the throes of invention, during which he tends to not consider the consequences of his actions and creations. This is best evidenced with his most recent demigod and favored mortal, Anax. In a battle with a worshipper of Mogis called Rhordon the Rageblood, Anax was impaled through the stomach. Anax survived but was crippled, until recently when Purphoros took him and reforged him, turning him into a demigod with a body like metal, but also warping his mind so that all he can think of is victory. It is said that once, Purphoros was in love with the goddess of nature, Nylea, and that during this period he created some of his most beautiful works of art.

Purphoros famously has a strained relationship with Heliod, god of the sun, and the two have come to blows on at least one occasion. During this time, Purphoros made one of his most powerful weapons, The Sword Of Chaos, a weapon so powerful that it was capable of damaging the makeup of Nyx, which accidentally freed the hydra known as Polukranos, the World Eater. At the height of their conflict, Purphoros lost the sword and it ended up on the mortal realm, where it was found by the planeswalker Elspeth, who promptly left the plane afterwards. When Elspeth returned to Theros ten years later, Heliod took her under his wing and reforged the sword, turning it into a sword-spear known as Godsend. Unfortunately, when he betrayed Elspeth, Heliod stabbed her through the back with the spear, where it promptly shattered. Purphoros’ second most well-known artifact and primary weapon is Akmon, a massive bronze hammer he uses both for forging and for war. Reportedly, his forge is located in the heart of a volcano called Mount Velus.
    Callings: Creator, Guardian, Warrior.
    Purviews: Artistry, Earth, Epic Strength, Epic Stamina, Fire, Forge, Passion, Prosperity, Stars, War, [Undecided PSP].

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

I admit to a lack of real experience with scion 2e so any help is appreciated. Please post ideas, discussions, suggestions, corrections and the like below.

P.S. Does anyone know a 2e sheet anywhere that is a bit more... Complete? Mechanically the game aint bad but I think they forgot a few things on the sheet, there's no equipment, armor, or birthrights section for origins or hero. Hell there's no combat section at all on the sheet other than the little health section at the bottom right.
    Last edited by Storyteller323; 02-11-2020, 12:45 AM.

I am working on a character sheet that will be around 4 pages. I find it best for most storyX system games. With expanded information for boons or what not and relics and so on. My computer died so Once my tax return hits I can get going on it again. I’d google around a bit as I know a lot of people make their own.

So, Theros is 1 of the 2 magic worlds I absolutely love. So I can easily see the desire to play in that world. The best pet with Scion 2e is you could even say they are a lost pantheon that created their own gigantic Terra incognita(maybe bad spelling) so you can have modern day scions if you wish find an access into that world.

I would suggest taking the hero book and sitting down with a Theros wiki and just checking out each god. Thankfully deciding on previews and callings is pretty easy.

I wish ya luck and please give us updates on how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzykuma View Post
      I am working on a character sheet that will be around 4 pages. I find it best for most storyX system games. With expanded information for boons or what not and relics and so on. My computer died so Once my tax return hits I can get going on it again. I’d google around a bit as I know a lot of people make their own.
      Awesome, good luck to you making it and please share it with me when you finish. Sorry to hear about your computer, tough break. I know from personal experience how much plans can get royally borked by a computer suddenly deciding to fry itself

So, Theros is 1 of the 2 magic worlds I absolutely love. So I can easily see the desire to play in that world. The best pet with Scion 2e is you could even say they are a lost pantheon that created their own gigantic Terra incognita(maybe bad spelling) so you can have modern day scions if you wish find an access into that world.
      I was actually planning on this just being for some campaign in the future that takes place only on Theros, but that is a good idea if I wanted to make it take place in modern times, kudos.

I would suggest taking the hero book and sitting down with a Theros wiki and just checking out each god. Thankfully deciding on previews and callings is pretty easy.

I wish ya luck and please give us updates on how it goes!
      That's what I did, but I showed it to a buddy of mine who knows theros like the back of his hand and he was flabbergasted by how wrong it was. Getting info from him rn. Thank you for the luck and I will indeed update this in the future.

Comment

I have a couple of character sheets. They're both two-page, not big enough for detailed notes but enough for basic play notes.

Here's a standard 2-page sheet.

And here's my character folder design. It's a little quirky, as it's set up for my pick-up game, but I find it to be a solid design with room for both background info and rules notes, which is handy in a game where people can be pulling new characters out of the pile every week.

Comment

Thanks! Also quick updated, Added Helion's purviews. Tell me what you think, just take into account I have the big dumb and probably fucked up somewhere.

Comment

So, while I work on Purphoros, how would we handle Nyxborn creatures in this? Maybe a template to be applied to certain creatures?

Comment

Ok, looking at the lore a bit and I think I may have something of a beginning to a PSP: Enchantment. Apparently in Theros the gods are basically giant living enchantments born from Nyx, and enchantment as a magical discipline is apparently a gift from the gods.

Comment

UPDATE: Finished Purphoros.
                Last edited by Storyteller323; 02-11-2020, 12:50 AM. Reason: Misspelled Purphoros.

Comment

Enchantment/ Nyx should 100% be the PSP. Powers should range from enhancing allies, creating Eidolons and other Nyx born to (However the rules work for God/ Demigod) blessing other people with the power of Nyx (See Daxos on T:BD)

Key thing I think it should do:
                  Motif should be based on Devotion to the character, the more people think that character or that characters God can do something, the more it should be done.
                  Innate power: This could also be connected to Devotion. Maybe gaining an Enhancement when in the presence of people who believe in your ability!
                  Boons:
                  I can think of 2 boons that make sense. 1, create a Nyx Born creature. Investing legend to create a create of equal dot rating - something like that. 2, share the power of a Purview with another character, pretty much bless them with your power. At Demigod/ God level this would make a Demigod ala Daxos. But at hero level it could just give another character access to one of your purviews and a point of Legend to "do something" with.
                  That’s my general idea.
                  Other things that make sense as a Theros Flavour fit: Nyxborn are creatures, great examples of Birthrights, but also could be marked by a Flair or Knack to just make a normal antagonist Nyxian.
                  Becoming a Scion shouldn’t be dependent on one of the gods – See Xenagos. Players should probably be able to, at Origin level, discover their own path to Godhood as they develop cults, followers and general devotion. Sometimes like Tymaret, Anax or Daxos the gods will directly bless a person to inherit great power, but the journey to become a god from mortal should also be an option without being Heliods missing daughter (Ideally no “born” scions in theros imo)

Find my Homebrew so far here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
                  So far its Demon Merits, Vampire 1e to 2e ports and a Knowledge collection mechanic for the Ordo Dracul!

Comment

Working...
                  X