No announcement yet.

The God of Halloween

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm now sort of wondering what Pantheons various gods of other major Western holidays might be from. I guess Christmas would fit with the Aesir, maybe. Not sure about New Years. Valentine's Day would be the Theoi, I'm guessing. Other than Easter and All Fools Day, I'm not sure what the others would be, as I'm trying to avoid specific national ones (like Independence Day, and the various National Days of European nations) or ones that are different dates in different countries (Thanksgiving, Mother's Day, etc.). Maybe Carnival season/Fat Tuesday and Armistice Day. Maybe Earth Day as the newest one.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I tie Halloween with Day of the Dead and give it the Mictlantecuhtli!

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

That would be La Catrina, Lady of the Dead and daughter of Michtecacihuatl, who encompasses All Hallows Eve, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day, acting as a psychopomp, guardian of the dead, and protector against violence and witchcraft.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

One thing I really like about Mexican culture is the way they are Catholics but still have so much from the Aztecs in their culture.

Here in Brazil the Portuguese erased as much as they could from the native culture (probably easier as there was no pyramids or a big empire, but still...)

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
            I tie Halloween with Day of the Dead and give it the Mictlantecuhtli!
            I mean I'd let Dia de los Muertos be Dia de los Muertos, instead of rolling it together with Halloween. But yes, Dia de los Muertos in the World must be fucking wild.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

In "Christianity: the Origins of a Pagan Religion" Philippe Walter argues that there is "an archaic memory of traditions, superstitions, and legends that form an authentic mythology and possesses no biblical justification." He identifies this middle age mythology as Carnival and claims that it is named after Carna the Roman goddess of pork and beans. Not sure how much I believe him but the book is fun to read.

Comment

Carne is Latin for meat/flesh. Carnival or Carnaval is sometimes translated as "farewell to the flesh", as the final day of Carnaval season, Fat Tuesday, is followed by Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent, when people would traditionally give up eating meat until Easter.

Comment

How do Callings limit or aid a PC?

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                    How do Callings limit or aid a PC?
                    are you asking what they do mechanically?

A God’s set of Callings slightly impacts their Scions’ Callings. All PCs must share at least one Calling with their patron deity. But they only need the one to match. So a daughter of Thor must have have Guardian, Leader, OR Warrior as one of her three Callings. A Chosen of Artemis must have Hunter, Guardian, OR Healer as one of her three Callings.

Callings and their ratings are what allow PCs to wield Knacks. Each Calling dot lets you wield a Heroic Knack of that variety, or you can assign 2 dots to wield the more powerful Immortal Knacks.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

So a god of Halloween is definitely going to have Trickster and Liminal.

it sounds from your description like Guardian is the most likely third Calling, if he’s about actually protecting children from the real threats in the night.

Other options include Judge if he’s about things like rewarding hospitality and punishing cruelty.

There is also the Monster Calling in the forthcoming Titanomachy book, but we haven’t seen it yet to know malicious it requires one be or not.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Trickster and Liminal are probably indispensable. As the character teaches people to learn about themselves, Sage seems right. Although Guardian has a real claim too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                          Passion (Fear) or some variant of that is probably likely, yeah.

Motif from the Purview: Life's No Fun Without A Good Scare

Probably Passion(Hope, Fear)

Comment

Or Passion (Sugar rush)

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
                            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                            https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                              Or Passion (Sugar rush)
                              Good one. But the candy is mainly a symbol of generousity and a abundance.

Comment

So clearly it must be Fortune (CANDY)

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X