Scion hunters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion hunters?

If mythologies are like superhero genre of modern times, maybe we can have 'Scion hunters', like shown in The Boys TV series?

Here is trailer:
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-24-2020, 06:50 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Psh, it wouldn't be at my table. I have a big dislike of Godkillers (and by extension Hero Killers) as a genre. If I wanted to play a story about a bunch of tryhard edgelord Tough Guys Doing Tough Things as an ego-jerk against Greater Beings I wouldn't be playing Scion.

I mean, seriously, that entire trailer felt mean-spirited and cynical in a way that really rubs me the wrong way. Yeah there's something to be said for 'Who Watches the Watchmen' but that trailer is exactly everything I don't want in Scion.

Unfunny jokes that amount to immature prats and "It's funny because he said a swear"? Check.

"Anybody with higher power is going to go mad off of it"? Bleh.

This kind of premise only works on the base assumption that somehow or another, the jackasses playing the Hero Killers are even worse than the Heroes that they're killing. Which that can fuck right off. Because you know what? Most Gods throughout human history are pretty decent on average, or at the very least do good enough things.

Like, let's look at this through the lens of Scion. Why would you want to start killing Heroes?

Because they cause some collateral? Do they all do it without regard for human safety? Sure, some might get reckless, but is it enough of a problem in your cynical setting that some people go "That's it, all Heroes die"?

Is it because they're champions of the Gods? So? Why would I feel threatened about a Scion of Shiva showing up to save me from the giant snake? Or a Scion of Poseidon calming a flood?

Do some Scions go bad? Sure they do. I'm not gonna deny that everyone who becomes a Hero is going to be a moral figure.

But I figure that most don't. Most Scions would, at my table, try to help people. And anybody who tries to spin some kind of "We don't need Gods or Heroes, they're all terrible, man" I'll kick them from my game faster than you can say "Don't cut yourself on that edge, Pizza Cutter"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

The Boys actually worked pretty well (when it’s not indulging it’s worst Garth Ennis hangups around how he feels queer sex is humiliating, and sexual humiliation is good comeuppance for a villain) as it’s actually about the consumer cult of patriotism around the US military industrial complex and its intersection with the media. But I don’t see how you’d translate that to Scion.

There’s of course a coming ANTAGONIST faction with the outlook that divinity is cruel and capricious toward humanity and the Woeld would be better off a mortal material place cut off from all things numinous - but like I said, they’re antagonists.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
        There’s of course a coming ANTAGONIST faction with the outlook that divinity is cruel and capricious toward humanity and the World would be better off a mortal material place cut off from all things numinous - but like I said, they’re antagonists.
        The Keepers of the World? Yeah, and they work because they're antagonists. Maybe some are sympathetic, but still bad guys. And yeah, I wouldn't want to translate something like The Boys to Scion.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
        X