Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Rules Questions

So I am trying to get my head around how a few things work and why:

I am pretty impressed overall at the dice system and the way they put things together. I know that a lot of people felt that 1st ed didn't start to break until Demi-God but even at Hero level Level 3 epic attributes really tilted the scale and I am not seeing that here.

So the Origin Quality "Shroud" allows an antagonist to partially conceal her presence along with other characters in close range. As a result all attacks against those characters suffer a +2 complication to the inflict damage stunt. So if I understand how complications work, this does not make it harder to actually hit the target, but does mean if you don't over come that 2 threshold you can suffer a condition including an injury condition. So what exactly is happening here? I can't see someone that well but I can shoot them fine but may hurt myself or drop my gun or run out of ammo? Help me understand how this is suppose to work, good examples would help. There are a few items like this that seem like they should increase the difficulty but instead add a complication.

Also as far as times go: Series --> Season --> Arc --> Episode --> Act. What are they thinking here? Is the goal to get people to think long term about the game? It seems like a lot of divisions with relatively little pay off.

Yeah there's definitely nowhere near as much ominous creaking with 2e's base mechanics.

As for Shroud, it seems in effect to be similar to adding soft armor, or maybe some kind of penalty. Now there is precedence for Complications that flat-out prevent things if you don't buy them off, such as the Elfshot/Faeshot weaponry having a unique Knack that gives a target a Complication where if they don't pay it off, they can't take any movement actions due to the pain of the shot.

If I wanted to run the Shroud Quality, I would be tempted to make it effectively increase the difficulty by 2 if I were feeling lazy. "This creature's form is indistinct. Hitting it isn't TOO difficult, but hitting it in a place that hurts is tricky." Note that this wouldn't effect the difficulty of other Attack Stunts such as disarming or knocking them flat.

If you want to make it tougher, you could have Shroud represent a sort of fog around it, and if they don't pay the Complication they manage to inflict an injury, but also inflict damage to nearby scenery, or to some nearby people.

And there's some reasons for breaking them up like that, the same way Exalted has Scene, Session, Arc and the like. For instance, in Hero, you can perform Sacrifices to regain Legend. There are two kinds: Minor and Major. Minor Sacrifices are small things, barely more than an inconvenience TBH. But you can only regain Legend from one of them per Story Arc, because Legend is by design a bit tougher to regain. Now you could do a MAJOR Sacrifice, which is usually actually tricky to obtain (magic cattle, an important Relic, some REALLY GOOD booze, people) and there's no time limit on regaining Legend from those.

I think the simpler explanation for why they break it down like that is to stick to the Cinematic Feel of Scion. Think of structuring it like a TV show. The overall adventure is a Series, which consists of multiple Seasons, each of which contains multiple Arcs, with each Arc having multiple Episodes (a Session), and each Episode having a few Acts which have multiple Scenes. That being said you're not gonna lose a lot if you just think of it in terms of Arcs, Sessions, and Scenes.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

There is a simple sequence of thinking that get you the reason for that crazy thing... If you rise the difficulty by 2, it will give the characters a Momentum if fail the attack, but if you hit but can’t cause damage you don’t get the momentum (because you didn’t fail). So it is effectively increasing the soft armor, BUT in Scion, all armor are soft OR hard, there is no way to do both at same time... sooo... you can’t give soft armor as a quality because it would not work with a possible hard armor... crazy...

Said that, the complication not necessarily cause a condition or anything like that, it can make the action not work at all if the complication is not bought off (that’s a valid effect to a complication). So it can be “buy it or not hit”, or, as written, “buy it or don’t hurt the target”.

Honestly it’s a badly planned, as many things happens during the development, I would say it increases the defense of the antagonist by 2.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
        Honestly it’s a badly planned, as many things happens during the development, I would say it increases the defense of the antagonist by 2.
        I wouldn't count Armor as being the same as raising Defense, as there are Attack Stunts that don't interact with Inflicting Injuries, which Soft Armor interacts with. A bulletproof vest doesn't make it more difficult for someone to shoot your gun out of your hand.

Or at least it shouldn't. That's why when I make an Antagonist I track their armor separately.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I wouldn't count Armor as being the same as raising Defense, as there are Attack Stunts that don't interact with Inflicting Injuries, which Soft Armor interacts with. A bulletproof vest doesn't make it more difficult for someone to shoot your gun out of your hand.

Or at least it shouldn't. That's why when I make an Antagonist I track their armor separately.
          That is one thing that bother me a little about antagonists, they should have a Defense and a Soft Armor value separated, but they don’t. When I Guide I make it separated (usually half by half of the antagonist defense), mainly because of how scale and damage works (and I am SGing Aberrant, so... Scale is life, scale is love)

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Working...
          X