Shields?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shields?

So it seems a bit odd that given it is a game about heroes/demigods and gods that they don't have a section(that I have seen) for dealing with shields.What is peoples take on how to do shields. I was talking to my players and I was thinking of it being able to be a 3 tag armor that gives enhancement on defense roles. However if people want to sacrifice the enhancement and interpose the shield against an incoming attack they know will hit them they could have it be hard armor instead. Kind of best suited for blocking explosions or a giant large enough so their club is an AOE. Just wondering what other people do.

I just copy the Shield Tag from Trinity: it's a 2 ranked weapon tag, that gives you a +1 to your Defense. Simple and quick, works with shields of all types and sizes.

Something significant enough to start counting as Hard armor can just be handled with the Cover rules and having that character carrying around cover with the attendant damage cover can take before it loses it's bonus (see Scion: Origin p. 72). They don't have to completely give up their Defense, but putting cover between themselves and an attack means spending on a defensive Stunt and reducing their overall potential Defense for the round.

Comment

We usually run it as a smaller shield (smaller than say a tower shield, something you can put your whole body behind) counts as a point of Soft armour and adds to Defense. That allows for them to essentially bounce around here and there, with the armour narratively interposing itself between the enemy's attacks but without the Scion having to do anything special. It's on their arm and a part of the way they fight. A defensive stunt, wherein they actively brace themselves to meet an attack shield-first, would allow the shield to instead act as a point of Hard armour indicating the shield taking the worst of the hit. Kind of like in Captain America: Winter Soldier where Cap jumps up with his shield up to take a rocket and is blasted back but largely unharmed.

A larger shield like a tower shield, anything a person can reliably scooch down most of their body behind, functions as Hard armour right off the bat but in that case you're focusing so heavily on protection that you need a stunt to effectively attack. When you can't see reliably because your shield is in the way, and you can't manouver easily because, again, your shield is in the way, you've kind of had to sacrifice your offence for defense.

In both cases my players have been really inventive with using their shields in ways not expected, so I'm often asked to field questions like 'What level stunt am I looking at to do <thing>?' and it's been fun, ranging from simple shield bashing to explosive effects under the shield to propel them, to all kinds of other stuff. My players have had a lot of fun incorporating shields into more than just ways to not get their faces punched in.

Comment

One of my players has death by tea cup and wants to captain American with a shield in the worse way!

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzykuma View Post
          One of my players has death by tea cup and wants to captain American with a shield in the worse way!
          Well a shield is an actual weapon, so Death by Teacup is less useful. Maybe use Master of Arms for some extra weapon tags, and some Boons to boost your ability to use as a thrown object as a weapon-

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Maybe use Master of Arms for some extra weapon tags
            OMG Master of Arms. I love that knack so much. It's so much amazing fun. Adding range for those Manga style sword slashes that tear up a path from you to the bad guy have proven immensely popular in my group. Every battle has turned into an episode of RWBY to the point where I'm pretty sure if I introduced Grimm as some kind of Cthonic monster threat they'd squee excitedly and swear they'll love me forever

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Well a shield is an actual weapon, so Death by Teacup is less useful. Maybe use Master of Arms for some extra weapon tags, and some Boons to boost your ability to use as a thrown object as a weapon-
              Yes, I meant master of arms. Also, we talked and with master of arms can you add the firearms tag to a normal weapon? We joked about him using his magic staff and cocking it like a shot gun. I'd say that's a bit to silly but you are dealing with world bending powers gained by divine blood nature..... so it kind of opens up things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzykuma View Post

Yes, I meant master of arms. Also, we talked and with master of arms can you add the firearms tag to a normal weapon? We joked about him using his magic staff and cocking it like a shot gun. I'd say that's a bit to silly but you are dealing with world bending powers gained by divine blood nature..... so it kind of opens up things.
                ... You're dealing with a setting where you can add Shockwave Punches, and where another Knack lets you grab a red-hot iron ingot and beat it into a sword blade with your bare hands.

And mythology has things far far FAR sillier.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X