A guide to Creature building?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A guide to Creature building?

I find nothing in the Hero book about how much Defense, Health and Initiative should be given to Creatures outside of a reference to the example antagonists chapter in the book. I have been all but useless at actually helping my players build their own creatures because I can make no sense out of how it's supposed to work.

I'd also like to know what it would cost to apply Scale to something for the Creature. Would it too cost 2 dice just like any other Quality or Flair?

Can someone help me find such guidelines?
    Last edited by Aristarkos; 03-15-2020, 03:35 PM.

For creatures, the idea is to pick the already described creatures or antagonist templetes and make your own creature.

My personal guidelines are:
    Rank 1 = Trivial
    Rank 2 = Foe
    Rank 3 = Rival
    Rank 4 = Nemesis
    Rank 5 = Titanspawn

It will keep the Primary pool close to the rule (3 x rank) and give the other values.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Health - The Creature Rank. I think that's established somewhere.

Defense - Followers get Rank/2, Rounded Up. I'd go with that for Creatures.

Initiative - Eyeballing the Antagonist Rules, go with Primary Pool - 2, which is also what you'd probably do for establishing the Secondary Pool for the Creature.

Scale - Technically Scale is a "Thing that applies when it makes sense thing". Also, as I mentioned in the Relics thread: Scale be scary and I'd be wary of handing it out. At least at Hero level.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Initiative can be equal to Secondary or Desperation Pool, according to the focus of character.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

The Hero Errata states in the FAQ section...

Q) How much Health does a Creature start with?
          A) [Creature Birthright rating] x2. Creatures can also
          concede a confict and be Taken Out without filling all of their Health with Injuries.

Comment

The Errata says Rating x 2, but I think that's slated to be changed because at Creature 3 you have 6 Injury Slots, and that's too damn many IMO. So I go with just Rating for Health Levels.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Neall View Post

It kind of is, unfortunately. I'd prefer to un-errata that and just go by what the book says.
              Based on another thread where Neall chimed in, I would also echo NOT doing rating x2... it's just too much.

Comment

Thank you all for your answers!

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                Scale - Technically Scale is a "Thing that applies when it makes sense thing". Also, as I mentioned in the Relics thread: Scale be scary and I'd be wary of handing it out. At least at Hero level.

I understand that you should be wary of handling scale, but some vague guidelines would be appreciated. How would you handle a player who buys a Creature that should reasonably have scale in at least one aspect? For example if someone gets a nemean cheetah for the express purpose of it being able to run down anything that is not in a vehicle they probably expect their creature to have at least one level of scale in speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post
                  Thank you all for your answers!

I understand that you should be wary of handling scale, but some vague guidelines would be appreciated. How would you handle a player who buys a Creature that should reasonably have scale in at least one aspect? For example if someone gets a nemean cheetah for the express purpose of it being able to run down anything that is not in a vehicle they probably expect their creature to have at least one level of scale in speed.
                  I'd cap any Hero tier Creature Scale at 1 or 2, tops. If the Heroes can't reach it themselves through Boons or Feats of Scale I wouldn't give them somethung that just exceeds that.

So Scale 2 Speed is something I would feel is kind of the max for a Hero.

Comment

Id consider treating a scale increase as a flair.
                    So take 1 in exchange for a few dices.
                    Not sure how id treat an increase in size scale tho.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 2 years old son.

Comment

Working...
                    X