Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A highly political sci fi idea ( not controversial)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A highly political sci fi idea ( not controversial)

The idea is a game of politics and manipulation in a Sci Fi setting. A Titan or Primordial of endings and finality has fatally wounded the sun. Lucky for humanity it's at the start of the 22nd century and humanity has space travel ( steal any tech ideas needed from Aeon) as a routine thing. Catch, escape to extrasolar colonies can only work for a limited number of people. Most people are going to be left behind because there isn't anyplace for them to go, it's that simple and brutal. The colonies have grown very well but only so many people can be supported until the colonies grow. And there is no time left.

Pantheons are struggling for the survival of their people and ideals.

If your people aren't part of the exodus to the stars, then your as dead as continental Celtic pantheon. If your people and those they influence aren't in large enough groups to maintain their cultures, it's just as bad.

How is your pantheon standing up for its people and/or itself?
    Last edited by Astromancer; 03-29-2020, 08:52 PM.

I mean I'd imagine step one, both from the perspective of running such a game and an in game perspective, would be finding out how its being decided who's going on this bloody thing. Like obviously people uninterested or against the prospect of leaving and volunteering to stay behind are fine in the equation. After that though I'd imagine the gods and their scions are interested in making sure there's a fair shake on this, maybe seeing if it can be tilted in their favor, as it be one thing to lose good followers and people because being "that dang sexy" wasn't deemed a necessary skill when compared to being an expert at hunting and making preparing food even if it isn't normally edible. I'd imagine fewer are the gods who'd be interested in finding out followers of their are dying because someone else just had the ability to write a check for an exorbitant amount of money and has no other skills which would be useful once arrival on the new world has happened.*

*I've seen one or two stories that try spinning that as "Well we needed this person's obscenely large check to pay for the stuff needed to make the ship" and it just never sat well with me since I feel like most forms of currency would kind of devalue fast and hard when faced against the immanent end of the world and the thing that is the only hope of the continuity of humanity, but that's just me.

Comment

I agree that money would lose value fast in an "End of the World" set up. But seed money early on might still matter.

However, if I was deciding who goes to the extrasolar colonies, with those not going dying, big finance types would seem useless. Heck most economists are trained and focused on situations so alien to what they'd go into that they'd be as useless as hunters on a world with no wild animals. An accountant or two could be very useful, keeping tact of resources would be a survival trait. But making vast amounts of money with little or no work requires a big economy to skim off of.

Comment

The Catch of the premise doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would it be difficult for the Deva to just go "Oh yeah sure we can move all of you to another planet, no big"? With the presence of Heroes, Demigods, and Gods that grant access to the Forge, Stars, Sun, and Journeys Purviews, there's basically no reason for why there'd be limits for which cultures could get off the planet.

Even if this does happen, loss of a culture doesn't mean that the Gods will vanish. In the cosmologies of many of the Pantheons, they've survived all of humanity vanishing before. Like whenever Shiva unmade everything for Brahma to start it all up again, of the times that the Star Demons descended from on high whenever the Teotl let the sun gutter out.

But, assuming there's a limited number because shut up, then we have the selfish assholes ensuring that they get onto the colonies. Then back home... The Teotl pick a new Tezcatlipoca, their worshippers make some offerings to jump-start the new sun. A new Ra takes the place of the old one. Vishnu or Brahma check with Shiva, confirm that no, it's NOT time for the sun to gutter out, so they fix it.

The Tuatha de Danann stick their heads out of their mounds and go "Hey did something happen?", find out most of Ireland's mortal population is gone, and go "OURS AGAIN".

And for the cultures that survived after the Gods rekindle the sun and for the ones that made it to a colony, the Gods will find themselves called to both their worshippers on Earth, and those on their Colonies.

Thus we expand from a Trolley Problem to a full on Space Opera Shard, where Netjer Heroes sail the cosmos in elaborate golden barges, the Teotl use massive temple-ships that use a ritual diaz in the heart of the ship to revitalize a dying star with one offered heart, and Theoi Scions leap from the hulls of massive ships to do battle with the monsters that lurk among the stars.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

Thus we expand from a Trolley Problem to a full on Space Opera Shard, where Netjer Heroes sail the cosmos in elaborate golden barges, the Teotl use massive temple-ships that use a ritual diaz in the heart of the ship to revitalize a dying star with one offered heart, and Theoi Scions leap from the hulls of massive ships to do battle with the monsters that lurk among the stars.
          Please write this up. Sooner is better.
          Last edited by Astromancer; 03-29-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

Please write this up. Sooner is better.
            Alas, I'm occupied with a different homebrew project.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

There actually was some discussion on a Scions in Space shard on Page 3 & 4 of this : http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...476-scion-eras , which you can mine for ideas if it appeals to you.

Comment

Working...
              X