Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give me some inspiration for a Scion character!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give me some inspiration for a Scion character!

Buoyed on by lots of upcoming releases for Scion, and also finding some extra time on my hands (like many of us), I decided to sit down and crack out a few characters for Scion and get to grips with the system. Being a long time World of Darkness player, this ought to be not too difficult, but the Storypath system is not the same as the Storyteller system and so I do have to work through the differences.

Anywhere, without other players around me currently, I’m struggling to get inspiration for a character to build and possibly a chronicle in the future. I need some inspiration! So, what characters have you built? What characters might be cool to build? What tales can you tell from chronicles? What pointers do you have in the character generation process to look out for?

My only tip is: 1 enhancement is better than 3 dice, so one Scale is better than 6 dice. Pick wisely your legendary name, callings and purviews, they turn a bad roll into an huge success.

The rest is pretty straightforward from WoD and CoD systems.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
      My only tip is: 1 enhancement is better than 3 dice, so one Scale is better than 6 dice. Pick wisely your legendary name, callings and purviews, they turn a bad roll into an huge success.

The rest is pretty straightforward from WoD and CoD systems.
      OK, that’s just confused me some......

At the moment, I’m just going to start with a Pre-Visitation Scion (and then, maybe build it up to Hero level). Explain Enhancements and Scale to me?

Comment

Originally posted by Trippy View Post

At the moment, I’m just going to start with a Pre-Visitation Scion (and then, maybe build it up to Hero level). Explain Enhancements and Scale to me?
        Enhancement is Automatic Successes that apply if you get a success on the initial dice roll. Mortal sources only stack up to 3 Enhancement, Magic sources stack up to 5

Scale is a big source of Enhancement that can break the cap, applying in cases of overwhelming power difference. For instance, a baseline human sprinter (Scale 0) versus someone riding a motorcycle (Scale 2), the motorcycle is going to have 4 Enhancement on the related movement rolls due to the difference in Scale.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Sorry about that.

As Kyman201 explained, I will jump to reasons why I say that.

in WoD and CoD the best thing you can do is gaining a lot of dices to roll, so you pick lots of skill dots in the skills you are planning to use, lots of dots in the attributes you are planning to use and maximize your chances of success. It’s not the case in Storypath, as the target number is 8, your chances of a good roll are lower than CoD and pretty tough for WoD.

The number of successes is the one thing that matter when doing actions, they beat difficulty, buy out complications and add stunts to the action, much like CoD. But in CoD you usually gain extra dice, while in Storypath you gain successes that you can only use when you have at least one success in the dice roll. So, any characteristic (in Scion case Knacks, Purviews and Legendary names, the last 2 starting from Heroic level) that grants enhancements is better than having extra dices in your pool (skills and attributes).

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

So, Knacks are important then?

Comment

My very first character I got to play in 1st ed was Stacy Barnes, cornfed All American cowgirl, rodeo queen and scion of Poseidon. I really need to try updating her to 2nd ed as she was fun.
              A lot of my character concepts are either adaptions of characters from other media I think would work well in the setting or are part of subcultures I think would work well with a pantheon.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

My first character was a human Incarnation of Durga's Lion 🙂 Incarnated as an Uber driver in Washington DC.

They are your most basic and frequently used powers, so yup (not to mention pretty much your only powers at Origin).

Comment

A basic Creator Knack can let you pull a hot iron ingot from a furnace and beat it into a sword blade with your bare hand. A basic Warrior Knack can let you punch someone a range band away. A basic Sage Knack can let you easily learn any language. A basic Liminal Knack can let you punch someone three seconds into the future. Boons may be flashy and impressive visually, but really, Knacks are your bread and butter and are definitely not to be underestimated.

As for some of my Concepts... Hm...
                  • Amanda Jane "AJ" Smith, a Farmgirl whose Origin Path is "Grew up on an ordinary farm" and had one of the highest Occult scores in the party. Identifies corn fields as liminal spaces, knows various kinds of fae, has good contacts with the dryad on her family farm... Y'know. Perfectly ordinary.
                  • Ash de Amaya is a Scion of Xochipilli. A DJ who views the dance club as her sanctuary, Ash's Visitation came when she was high as a fucking kite, and her divine father came to her on the trip.
                  • Xiu Ling is a second-generation Chinese-American, and later became a Chosen of Erlang. But the biggest influence on her came from her grandfather, who would take her out into the Cascade Mountains regularly to teach her Wudang Kung Fu.
                  • Anne-Marie (not her birth name but it's one she uses now) is a Scion of Loki, and a wanted con artist. She goes after white collar jackasses with too much money, burns through it all on spontaneous acts of charity and indulgence, and then finds another target. Her Ragnarok Plan is to A. Find sanctuary with any other Pantheon, or failing that, B. Wait out everything going to shit on some tropical beach, sipping a fruity drink because fuck the Aesir and their Doom And Gloom.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

When the Origin and Hero books came out i build one "main" scion per featured pantheons.And who knows one day i may even get to play one of them. But as i am the storyguide it is more likely i'd use them as NPCs.
                    I wrote them up in the "what are your character concepts" thread here. http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...oncepts/page22 (starts on post 321)

Other concept i've fiddled with are
                    - The Weak Son of Thor. Essentially i'm curious on the interaction between having one dot of might but also the Epic Strength purview.
                    - A scion of Quetzalcoatl that is a teacher meant to serve as guide and teacher for the next iteration of humanity. A fate the scion is very ambivalent on to say the least. In the meantime he intend to revolutionize education in the World.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 1 year old son.

Comment

Working...
                    X