Missing Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Gods

What it says on the tin. Gods that we want to see show up later.

I'm glad the Loa are promised. The Baron was particularly missed.

For the Theoi four stand out. Hercules, who had more temples in ancient Greece/Hellas than several of the standard twelve and was a major deity in ancient times. Hecate, again a major figure. Iris, also a messenger of the gods. And the Roman god Mars, who is nothing like Ares. In fact Ares was rarely worshiped in Greece and Mars was a major figure in Rome. Ares was the god of battle lust and Mars was the god of adult male social roles. For early Rome these were Farmer, Solider, Priest, and husband/lover. The Solider role got overemphasized in the later empire.

For the Tuatha, certain figured associated with their pantheon like Oberon and Mab who aren't true members but connected would be good.

More as I think of them.

Who do you want to show up later?

Yeah it seemed odd to me that Heracles arguably the most well known Greek God (Well him or Zeus) is absent in the core.
    But agree with your sentiments
    I would like Eos Goddess of the Dawn and Pan included. As well I would like Morpheus and Eros (I forgot it again if he was added yet), and I think they treated Thanatos and Hypnos as titans but they would be interesting.
    Kratos, Nike, Bia and Zelus would be interesting parents.

Was Bragi included yet with the Aesir? I know in 1st ed they added him later. Maybe have rules for being the Child of a Valkyrie, and thus being in name and possibly in blood a grandchild of Odin.
    It would be interesting to introduce the two other brothers of Odin, Vili and Ve, and Hoenir. We have so little to go on so they could be interesting maybe instead as NPCs, I've toyed with the idea of fleshing out Vili and Ve as lost gods.

I would be curious adding Santeria and Voudoun. And comparing relationships with say Papa Ghede and Baron Samedi and the other Baron Loa like Baron Cimetiere.

The 8 Immortals though maybe they would adopt and uplift mortals into Heroes.

And maybe now Weyland the Smith and Daedalus the inventor are Gods able to take Scions, because it would be hella cool to be a Scion of one of them. Didn't they mention something about Zhuge Liang being made into a god, or did I just imagine that.

The Seven gods of Fortune for the Kami. They Added Inari already right?

Rudra father of the Maruts, maybe as an aspect of Shiva or separate.

And maybe treat Oberon, Titania and Queen Mab as Minor Gods of Elves, as in maybe Sidhe and Alfar mixing into a general European elf population.
    Mine as well toss in Morgan le fay into this, maybe as a Demigod if you don't want her a full god.

I would treat the 4 Divine beasts as another cross Pantheon set of asian gods, the Vermilion Sparrow, the Blue Dragon, the Black Tortoise, and the White Tiger.
    Before in 1st ed I had a subgroup of divine Beasts/Pets taking human scions, so Sleipnir, Garm, Huninn, Muninn, Freki, Geri, and Cerberus but that is not for everyone.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Oberon and Mab aren't Irish. They're from a Shakespeare play. A Shakespeare play about a bunch of silly mortals that actually took place in Greece. If you want to add Tuatha there's a bunch of other figures who'd be so much more appropriate.

Last I heard, Hecate's going to be in the Companion. Each Core Pantheon is gonna get a new Patron written up for the Companion.

Hercules, I think, is going to be in Demigod. As will, last I heard, Weyland the Smith.

It may be a good idea to try and separate Ares and Mars into very different Mantles, given the connotations to the two of them, yeah. Give Ares the Chaos, Passion, and War Purviews while Mars can have the Fertility, Prosperity, and War Purview, maybe with Passion (Valor).

And of course if you're willing to put in some research, writing a God that you think got overlooked is pretty easy. I do get the "The reason I pay for these books is so that I don't have to do research" thing, but if further books come out and they don't have your favorite Kami you can hit up some sources, pick some Callings, and some Purviews.

As for which Gods I hope to see... Fuck, I'unno. I'm always happy with more. My blind spots are such that I don't even know how much I don't know.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I know they are from Shakespeare I'm proposing the likely origins of them. Just like how they had the Danish Prince a Scion of Vidar. I know they aren't Irish, I mentioned them in the same breath I was mentioning an Arthurian character like Morgan Lefay. I was incorporating nonmythological figures using mythology as a background because it seemed appropriate.

Edit

And I don't know if I would give Ares Chaos. He doesn't have the Order of Athena but he is more about merciless slaughter then chaos.
        Last edited by Eldagusto; 04-02-2020, 10:20 PM. Reason: added ares stuff

Comment

I mean if they don't have a mythic backing, why give them one? Sometimes a Being can... BE without needing to be in a Pantheon or be called a God when they're not a God.

Like, let's not do a 1e Yankee Pantheon here.

Morgan Lefay also, I'd make a Sorcerer tentatively, rather than a God. Probably Demigod tier, but I'm just guessing.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Really your comparing Oberon to Johnny Appleseed?
            Beowulf isn't mythology but we include that story in Scion with Beowulf as a Scion, and they talk about Caine's get but they put asterisks in it.

If its not your cup of tea then ignore that bit of my post, but I just tossed it in there as suggestions. Do I need like a Scion club ticket to have an opinion?

I'm a fan of how they made Hamleth a Scion, and they made the Earl King a Trollish being.

Morgan LeFay probably wouldn't be God level she would be tied to faeries. Oberon and Titania would be immortal Royalty so they wouldn't need to be gods either.

Comment

You don't need anything to have an opinion, just like I don't need anything to have an opinion of "I'd rather allocate the wordcount to other things like these-"

But yeah, Morgan I'd probably do something as a Sorcerer who learned mystic secrets from the Fae, assuming that there'll be mechanics for "I have learned Secret Magics from something that is Not A God"

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                You don't need anything to have an opinion, just like I don't need anything to have an opinion of "I'd rather allocate the wordcount to other things like these-"

But yeah, Morgan I'd probably do something as a Sorcerer who learned mystic secrets from the Fae, assuming that there'll be mechanics for "I have learned Secret Magics from something that is Not A God"
                How totalitarian.

But the implication in the stories Merlin and Morgan both have magics from faery lineage. I would justify her magics the same way I would justify the various Faery beings already presented. I don't need to spoonfed a line explaining faeries give you this, this and this but not that. I could treat her as a less Divine Circes and I would be in a decent ballpark.

Comment

I’d like to see the monotheistic ‘pantheons’ brought into the game. Obviously, not ‘God’ or ‘Allah’ directly, but the Angels and Demons.

Comment

Well, the Orishas are a Monotheist pantheon, and the Orishas themselves are not gods but spirits that are closer to god than we are, like angels and demons.

A real Monotheist pantheon (a monotheon? Or would it be a Theo?) should be one god with a lot of purviews, and possibly a bunch of demigods (as the Middle Earth Pantheon, with Valar as Demigods and Maiar as Heroes, or Valar as gods and Maiar as Demigods following the Orisha naming).

When you talk about angels and demons, you are automatically talking about Abrahanic god (God, Jave, Allah, etc), because they are part of that myth.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
                    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product.../Fists-of-Flux

Comment

If I was more up on my Shakespeare, I'd be tempted to try and write an adventure set in 16th century England involving the Bard and a trio of Scion Hero npcs who are clearly meant to be Oberon, Titania, and Puck, trying to reach Demigod status.

As it is, the Theoi and Aesir are the ones I'm most familiar with, and there are a number of minor Greek and Roman ones I'd enjoy seeing in a modern context. Nike and Hebe spring immediately to mind.
                      I'm very eager to see the new Loa, not just because they are another one I am more familiar with, but also they are the major example of an existing pantheon (the Orisha) shifting into something different from historical/cultural/geographic shifts, and I'm curious to learn how this works in the game and how I might possibly be able to apply it to the Theoi if I decided I wanted to do a full on Roman shift to them.

I'm also really hoping that theoretical Welsh pantheon/King Arthur book becomes a real thing, because it sounds really cool, with a lot of potential for historical and modern games.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                        Oberon and Mab aren't Irish. They're from a Shakespeare play. A Shakespeare play about a bunch of silly mortals that actually took place in Greece. If you want to add Tuatha there's a bunch of other figures who'd be so much more appropriate.

Last I heard, Hecate's going to be in the Companion. Each Core Pantheon is gonna get a new Patron written up for the Companion.

Hercules, I think, is going to be in Demigod. As will, last I heard, Weyland the Smith.

It may be a good idea to try and separate Ares and Mars into very different Mantles, given the connotations to the two of them, yeah. Give Ares the Chaos, Passion, and War Purviews while Mars can have the Fertility, Prosperity, and War Purview, maybe with Passion (Valor).

And of course if you're willing to put in some research, writing a God that you think got overlooked is pretty easy. I do get the "The reason I pay for these books is so that I don't have to do research" thing, but if further books come out and they don't have your favorite Kami you can hit up some sources, pick some Callings, and some Purviews.

As for which Gods I hope to see... Fuck, I'unno. I'm always happy with more. My blind spots are such that I don't even know how much I don't know.
                        Both Oberon and Mab predate Shakespeare by centuries. Mab is a form of Meave (sic) and is Irish. There is debate about Oberon. And I did say they were associated not part of the Tautha.

As for Hercules. The ancient Greeks and Romans worshiped him more widely than they worshiped Hera, Ares, or Hephaestus.

Comment

Eldagusto, I strongly agree about adding Baron Cimetiere, Pan (the traditional one), Eos, Morpheus, and Eos. The Roman gods Janus, Neptune (a god of springs and subterranean waters), Flora, Minerva (a goddess of skill and crafts), and Mercury (a god of markets and transit as opposed to comunication and travel, certainly Mercury was never a guide of dead souls).

Comment

With Herakles, I suspect the fact that he is one of Western mythology's most famous examples of a "mortal" hero ascending to divine status may have led to the design decision to wait until Demigod to detail him so that he could be more fully explored in the game's concept of crossing that threshold without any risk of possibly contradicting what might have been said in Hero.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
                              I know they are from Shakespeare I'm proposing the likely origins of them. Just like how they had the Danish Prince a Scion of Vidar. I know they aren't Irish, I mentioned them in the same breath I was mentioning an Arthurian character like Morgan Lefay. I was incorporating nonmythological figures using mythology as a background because it seemed appropriate.

Edit

And I don't know if I would give Ares Chaos. He doesn't have the Order of Athena but he is more about merciless slaughter then chaos.
                              Both Morgan le Fay and Merlin were described by Medieval authors as being "Worshiped as Gods by simple folk back then." More than a few Arthurian scholars assume they're both gods that have been changed to mortals in legends. Some, far fewer, say this of Arthur. Certainly Joseph Campbell wasn't the only one who thought Arthur's tale was blended with that of old gods.

Comment

Working...
                              X