Missing Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manbat View Post

Confucius is in the book, and Divus Julius has been announced as a Scion of Venus who became a god, so that is why I choose them as examples of deities who came from mortal ascension.

Actually, as far as I understand, the number of followers you have has nothing to do with your deification. You don't become a god because many believe in you, but by having so much impact in the world that people recognize you (which isn't the same thing). As is said in the book, having millions of followers on twitter don't give you legend, but gaining legend gives you millions of followers.

Confucius effectively redefined the Chinese culture, and Julio Caesar conquered a ridiculous amount of land to Rome, arguably destroyed a culture, and took control of the Roman republic. They were big deals, and people recognize them as big deals. Kardashians are famous but will disappear from the culture in a few decades, so I don't think the gods care about media creating gods. Celebrities have existed since the dawn of the time, but unless they can reshape the culture around them, they will just be forgotten when their fans die out.

People who were a big deal that come into my mind that could have become gods: Alexander the Great, who altered the culture of everything from Macedonia to Pakistan, and reshaped Egyptian rule. Imhotep supposedly created a few staples of the Ancient Egyptian culture, if I am not mistaken. Ghengis Khan, who reshaped Asian political structure. Karl Marx could too, as his Manifesto reshaped the World. Bonaparte sounds more like a failed demigod to me, to be honest.
    A few celebrities might make it to godhood. Author celebrities like Shakespeare or Shelley might make it. Twain, Dickens, Poe, Tolstoy, Zola, and similar authors might make it. Of media celebrities only Charlie Chaplin, Elvis, Humphrey Bogart, John Wayne, the Beatles, Greta Garbo, and Marylin Monroe, have the kind of sustained impact to make it. I could really only see the Beatles, because of their mystical influences making it.

Of the author celebrities, a higher number might make it because of sustained Influence. I could see Ursula Le Guin and Harlan Ellison waking up shocked to see they have a shot at apotheosis. ;-) The lady would have the wittier comment.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 04-04-2020, 10:02 PM.

Comment

It's depends on whether you need to be a demigod before you can be a god. And whether you need to be a hero before you can be a demigod. And whether or not you need some sort of Divine assistance to become a hero.

Comment

It occurs to me that some sort of Heroes of History thing, looking at certain famous dead people1 in the context of them being Scion Hero characters/NPCs would be a really cool Storypath Nexus product.

1I'd never consider using living people as you never know when you might run into the Cosby Effect.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Storypath Nexus
          I'd like to aggressively recommend this. It's great that people have their own ideas on who should and shouldn't be included. But what I'd suggest is that instead of begging other people to do the work for you, make some time, do the research, get as much feedback as you can, and put it out there yourself. That's what the Nexus is for.

The writers for OPP aren't magical special people with exclusive access to knowledge. They might be a little more experienced at doing research and developing academic contacts, but probably not by some wide margin, and it's something you yourself can learn to do. Figure out who knows stuff, get multiple opinions and cross-reference them. Read the original texts yourself as best as you can. Then do up your own take. Support others doing their takes, too.

If you believe in your idea, make it real yourself.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
          An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
          Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

If I was to do one (and for me the biggest issue is probably formatting/layout and art), I'd probably do three people, Miyamoto Musashi, Rani Velu Nachiyar, and Davy Crockett. And if it went over well enough, a second one with Cleopatra, El Santo, and Lord Byron or Leonardo da Vinci.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

No One of Consequence There’s a book called Three Roads to the Alamo, about Davy Crockett (he HATED that name, his political enemies made it up to make fun of him; he preferred to be called David) and two other heroes of the Alamo (Jim Bowie and Colonel William Travis). It’s a really good book (among other things, there’s a two page discussion about whether William Travis really banged 56 girls). Anyway, the final chapter of the book, where it talks about Davy Crockett’s death at the Alamo, is called “Apotheosis.” Not even kidding. He’d make a great Scion.

Rain On Me... Lady Gaga (I went to the same academic summer camp she did) and Ariana Grande. This song actually works really well with the World of Darkness.

Comment

How did that go again? “If you surrender now, I'll put in a good word for you with my friend Sam. I can't guarantee anything, mind you; he's got a bit of a temper. But I'll try.” Or something like that. Almost certainly apocryphal. Also very definitely legendary.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                  It's depends on whether you need to be a demigod before you can be a god. And whether you need to be a hero before you can be a demigod. And whether or not you need some sort of Divine assistance to become a hero.
                  I mean it seems the Celestial Bureaucracy straight picks up ghosts and hands them the Godbadge, do not pass go do not collect two hundred dollars.

So its safe to talk about nongods as god options now?

So would mortals becoming gods due to being influential or revolutionary need pantheon sponsorship, as in they can't become it as a consequence of being S-M-R-T? If that is the case I really see something maybe like a Celestial court of law where they have the best divine debaters and lawspeakers arguing about who gets sign up who into their pantheon. It would be like how sportsteams target college players mixed with patent and copyright lawyers in court.

But unless I have a different idea for a specific game I have Daedalus patronized by Hephaestus and through him trying to recruit revolutionary big brains like Leonardo Da Vinci and Nikola Tesla. I would have them raise through the ranks of Demigod and then Godhood then. How I bet the Celestial Bureaucracy handles it is more like they recruit some in a position of Demigod level immortal (I have it Guanyu had his Oath Brothers of Liu Bei and Zhang Fei raised as Demigods early on as a favor as Guanyu was starting out as a God) and then they shanghaied Confucius and Laotzu into full blown godhood due to cultural importance and their legacy to the World.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

In actual Greek myth a shepherd fishing for his dinner put fish on a patch of grass while he caught some more fish. The fish came back to life and jumped into the sea. The shepherd was dumbfounded and tried tasting the grass. This caused him to jump into the sea as well and the waters of the sea made him into a god. I'll look him up later, but this god goes back to the time of Homer at least.

So people becoming gods just because is a thing in at least classical myth.

The god was Glaucus, he was worshiped by sailors, he was prayed to for protection at sea and seems to have inspired good seamanship.

His callings would be ...

Guardian: He protects Fishermen and sailors.

Sage: He advises Fishermen and sailors and teaches them useful skills and caution.

Lover: His myths revolve around either his love for the nymph Scylla or the God Melicertes.
                    Last edited by Astromancer; 04-05-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

That's true. But this isn't classical myth; it's Scion. And it does some things differently. For instance, there are other Pantheons who remember the Theoi from before they achieved godhood. Yep; in Scion, even Zeus started out as a Hero and worked his way up to divinity. (I suspect that when the Theoi achieved Pantheon status, the history of the World was rewritten so that Zeus was always a god; but that's the World, not the God-realms: the Theoi don't get to rewrite what the Netjer remember.) Scion simply doesn't have “I was born as a god, and was never anything else.”

So the fact that there isn't a “just because” Origin strongly implies that there are no “just because” gods. You are, of course, free to house rule that; but as far as I can tell, that would be a house rule.
                      Last edited by Dataweaver; 04-05-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Dataweaver thanks 😊

Rain On Me... Lady Gaga (I went to the same academic summer camp she did) and Ariana Grande. This song actually works really well with the World of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                          That's true. But this isn't classical myth; it's Scion. And it does some things differently. For instance, there are other Pantheons who remember the Theoi from before they achieved godhood. Yep; in Scion, even Zeus started out as a Hero and worked his way up to divinity. (I suspect that when the Theoi achieved Pantheon status, the history of the World was rewritten so that Zeus was always a god; but that's the World, not the God-realms: the Theoi don't get to rewrite what the Netjer remember.) Scion simply doesn't have “I was born as a god, and was never anything else.”

So the fact that there isn't a “just because” Origin strongly implies that there are no “just because” gods. You are, of course, free to house rule that; but as far as I can tell, that would be a house rule.
                          Actually it's pre-Classical. It is contemporary with Homer because it's referenced in poetry from that time period.

Comment

The point remains the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Samudra View Post

Have one I wrote up ages ago for free

Ganga, Whose Waters Cleanse the Worlds

Aliases: Bhagirathi, Alaknanda, Surtarangini

Praise be to Ganga, Goddess of the sacred waters that flow through the realms of Deva, Human and Asura alike. When Vishnu in his Dwarf Incarnation raised his foot to cover all Heaven, his toe pierced the Primordial Waters, and a stream shot forth, bathing his feet, before being collected by Brahma in his water-pot. This selfsame stream is Ganga, daughter of the Himalaya Mountains and sister to Parvati.

Bhagiratha, Scion of Shiva, born through his blessing to two Queens, sought to bring Ganga down to Earth, as a means of salvation for his cursed ancestors. Pleased with his austerities, Brahma tipped over his water-pot, and Ganga raced towards the World; but in her arrogance, Ganga thought to smash through the ground. Fearing that he had doomed humanity, Bhagiratha invoked Shiva, who answered his call. Shiva stood at the point of impact, and caught Ganga up in his matted locks, before letting her loose in a controlled stream. Bhagiratha then worshipped her and explained his mission, to help all humanity with her waters.

This experience changed Ganga, who took Bhagirath's name as one of her own; she spread her waters out into all realms of existence, existing as a river in Heaven Earth and Hell, and other regions besides, and now dedicates herself to the salvation of Deva, Human and Asura alike. Like Ganesha, she is an advocate of peace, and her many children usually inherit their mother's altruistic streak. With King Santanu, Ganga bore the mightiest of Born Deva Scions, Bheeshma of the Mahabharata. She often takes an active role in her Scions' development, and they likewise spearhead efforts to purify her sacred river. Still, some of them fear that they will never live up to their most famous sibling.

Callings:
                              Healer: Strongly associated with purification and the salvation of souls
                              Liminal: Her flows exist in multiple realms simultaneously, capable of releasing souls and sending them to their next destination
                              Lover: Seduces King Santanu, is often linked to multiple Gods with no clear consensus on a husband

Purviews:
                              Fertility: Mother Goddess prayed to for fertile fields, considered spiritual mother by many along her banks
                              Journeys: Moves between Worlds with ease, her waters allow passage to other Terrae
                              Water: Most famous of the river Goddesses of India
                              Great idea! I think the God of the Himalayas would be interesting Giri-Raj/Himavat! Especially because of its site as a pilgrimage to multiple religions.

Wasn't their mention of the Pali Pantheon in the Core? I want to say it was in the Guanyin Avalokitesvara connection, man I remember having to do papers on that God in Uni.

But this makes me think about the Nature of the personification of Sumeru. Mount Meru is personified to make a child which is the Wife of Himavat. Meru is also unspeakably huge, so it could actually maybe be a Titan/Primordial rather then a god? Thoughts on this? I really would love a book that covers the Devas connection to the Pali pantheon, and the Pre-Vedic Gods. Pre-Shiva Rudra clearly had some aspects, like his title, taken and absorbed by Shiva if Rudra isn't actually an aspect of Shiva. But the Devas seem like they connect to the most Pantheons, well maybe the Greek may have beaten them on spreading farthest, what with the Buddhist Hercules statues to act as a sacred guardian.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Considering I am a New Zealander, I ought to ask if there have been any Polynesian/Maori Pantheons made just yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X