[Homebrew] The Phi, the Spirits of the Tai People

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Homebrew] The Phi, the Spirits of the Tai People

So after months of planning and writing, the Phi is almost done. I will be updating the Google Docs link for it to add in Relics and Pantheon Specific Purview (Kho) soon. Here is the link to the pantheon and its members.

The Pantheon introduces the beliefs and worldview of Satsana Phi or Ban Phi, the religion practiced by the Tai people to this day. It runs in harmony (at times and currently) with Buddhism, Christianity, and Hinduism. For Buddhist-majority Tai states like Thailand and Laos, religion became a part of Buddhist lifestyles. In places like Assam, the Ahom Tai revival movement restored the traditions of Ban Phi. So we have a pantheon that has multiple mantles, more local but embraces well-honored and ancient ties between one region and the other.

The Pantheon in its current state stretches from the countries of Thailand and Laos to pockets of independent ethnic polities in India (particularly Assam), China (more specifically Yunnan provinces). If I have time, there will be sub-pantheons for the specific Tai groups in India and China.

For Asia-focused campaigns or ideas, the Phi has ancient rivalries with the Deva and the Shen. To the Shen, they are a group that broke away from their bureaucracy some centuries ago. The Phi led this migration to the south, although they recognize and remember their homeland in many stories. To the Deva, the Phi adopted them and saw them as their own. The new lands and people they interacted with were followers of the Deva. The heroic epic of the Ramayana and Buddhist heroes are well-known among the Phi, who look to them with respect and awe.
    Last edited by Svarogg; 01-06-2021, 03:01 AM. Reason: Adding the updated link

Scion 2e Homebrew Pantheon(s):
    The Nat, the Spirits of Myanmar
    The Phi, the Spirits of the Tai People

Nice! Very nice

Comment

Ooh, this is very nice, I wasn't expecting this to come up so soon. What made you decide to implement this as a single pantheon, instead of separate pantheons for the Thai, Shan, Ahom, etc.? Was there a dearth of material for some or all of these groups?

Also, funny that we get another beheaded titan whose head is passed around between a group of sisters. Is this a fairly widespread motif in Southeast Asia, or something more limited?

Comment

I love it! I just finished reading it. They read like a very fearsome pantheon, which is quite cool, being sandwiched between the carefree Nat and benevolent but pragmatic Than. I imagine that relations with the Than in particular are rather tense. Southeast Asia is looking to be a very interesting part of the world for Scion games. Even with their territory being primarily Buddhist at this point, I imagine the Phi's worshippers were just a bit too afraid of divine retribution to abandon them completely.
        Last edited by Wannabe Demon Lord; 04-27-2020, 10:29 AM.

Comment

These are really cool and interesting, well done! I'm certainly looking forward to the rest. Now I'm very curious about their Virtues and PSP.

Scion 2e Homebrew Pantheon:
          The Thần of Vietnam

Comment

Which spirits take credit for Thai Curry? I need to burn some sandalwood in their honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
              Which spirits take credit for Thai Curry? I need to burn some sandalwood in their honor.
              Probably Mae Phosop since she's the goddess of food.

Comment

A question for Svarogg

I'm sorry for the necromancy but I wonder if you have done / planned on doing a write-up of the PSP and Virtues for this interesting Pantheon?

I'd love to have a Scion campaign in Thailand, but would need to do more research for it.

Comment

I believe Svarogg mentioned elsewhere that development is on hold due to Covid limiting library access.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Not to resurrect a forum after more than six months but the Phi are back. There isn't much change when it comes to the main roster, though there are new additions to the pantheon. The culture of the Phi is primarily around the Thai, Lao, and Shan with some elements of Dai. The Ahom and Dai subpantheons may get a write-up...after COVID vanishes.

Other than that, there is one new Titan with a really fascinating history. Elsewhere, the Phi are focused on the strengths and weaknesses of the physical body, and their boons inspire or punish khwan, an entity that inhabits a part of our human or animal body (some say there are 32 of the khwans). The Tai pantheon has a lot of emphasis on bodily modifications and defense of our physical nature with the inclusion of sak yant tattoos, ritually-purified talismans, and amulets to protect one from different forces. I personally enjoy the final iteration of the Phi, took me a while to do. I'm still a novice when it comes to the PSP but I think this one was alright. I am reworking the Nat's PSP to make it less clunky and more thematic around artistic expression and spirit communing.

Comment

Wonderful news!

Comment

Thank you for the Christmas gift, I like this pantheon a lot!

Comment

Awesome work, Svarogg, as always!

Comment

Which of the the Phi are most upset with the recent ban on blood sacrifices and the replacement of blood with red or pink soft drinks?

The web comic Nordic Brothers did a comic on change over with a very unhappy ghost.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                              Which of the the Phi are most upset with the recent ban on blood sacrifices and the replacement of blood with red or pink soft drinks?

The web comic Nordic Brothers did a comic on change over with a very unhappy ghost.
                              That would be most of the non-Buddhist Phi, there are rather macabre origins for some of the Phi that I will not get into Although, the reason why the Tai use soft drinks instead of blood nowadays is due to the sweetness of the liquid. It may be that the human/animal blood may be sweet for the Phi, but nowadays, Strawberry Fanta is sweeter.

Honestly, Southeast Asia is just a great place to explore urban fantasy tropes because stories are continuing to be told and made. Phosop now gets scared by tractors and pesticides and the Phi presiding over amulets have an online store full of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X