Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythos

Hello all.

I was reading some tales from Lovecraft, and suddenly I noticed a little issue on the kind of story I was thinking about when thinking about Masks of Mythos.

When I think about Mythos, I usually think from a very human perspective, the view from characters that are investigating or facing somehow the truth that they are no more than dust in front of the old ones (or even some of the "not so powerful" other terrors).

But if we are supposed to be Heros (or even more) against the old ones, we are probably going to have a much stronger position, maybe cutting Deep Ones as butter before reaching Dagon and Hydra, maybe even capable of facing somehow Hastur in the end of the story.

I see no problem on that, but it's not how I (personally) would handle my Cosmic Horror story. I would probably work on a more horizontal development version of Storypath (TC in the case), and keep my characters pretty mortal.

What are your plans on that? Do you think you would go on a Hero/Demigod grow or keep mortal?

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

If you read the Randolph Carter stories I think you could see him as becoming a Scion of Yog-Sothoth. The danger to those self-chosen to become Mythos Scions is insanity.

Comment

One thing I am doing is the old ones, are what theAztec gods are fighting against. They are ancient foes of the gods, and there are sorcerers who call on them, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
        If you read the Randolph Carter stories I think you could see him as becoming a Scion of Yog-Sothoth. The danger to those self-chosen to become Mythos Scions is insanity.
        That's one kind of story to tell, for sure, and one that may be very interesting to deal with. Dealing with a Hero while becoming less human in both appearance and mentality must be a very interesting way to deal with it. The most interesting part is, some of the characters would not care about this taint, and will see it as good as becoming a Hero of other pantheons.

Also, if you keep the game on Hero, and treat them as prophets or powerful cultists of the old ones (what is pretty evil by the way... but ok) you have the same feeling of loosing humanity.

But, as I said, it would lose a bit of the Cosmic Horror feeling, as you are the horror or at least see it as positive...

Well that's the game I was planning for Mythos, one with investigation or at least diving into cosmic horror from the human perspective, not the only one that can be played on Lovecraft Country.

Anyway, there is this new series Lovecraft Country that is coming on HBO or Amazon, can't remember, and I am a bit anxious for some horror in my soul lasting for more than a few hour since the 6th season of American Horror Story (the last one that brought this feeling).

Comment

Masks of the Mythos is meant to be a Shard... it is set in a version of the World where the other Pantheons do not exist, so it would not be surprising if the basic assumptions of Heroes (if they're even called that) and what they can do are significantly different as well.

Comment

I can’t wait for Masks of the Mythos, but why can’t I use the Mythos in conjunction with the other pantheons? They don’t really contradict each other.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

They kind of do, in much the same way that true monotheism contradicts Scion. Specifically, the Mythos makes assumptions about the nature of the universe that conflict with the assumptions that the rest of the Pantheons are based on.

Comment

As I see, rulewise they must work together with no issue, or at least be coherent.

Settingwise, they are almost completely contradictory.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                  I can’t wait for Masks of the Mythos, but why can’t I use the Mythos in conjunction with the other pantheons? They don’t really contradict each other.
                  I'm sure with enough tweaking (which could be no tweaking at all, I don't know how the mechanics work) you could use them together in your games... but setting wise the Mythos 'deities' don't really fit... they're utterly unconcerned with Humanity, which is one of the prime hallmarks of Godhood in base Scion, and are harmful enough to Humanity (deliberately or not) that any Pantheon that even vaguely cares about people (which is pretty much all of them, but especially ones like the Teotl Deva or Orisha) would have wiped them out ages ago.

Comment

Samudra maybe they’re too powerful to wipe out. The Old Ones have been imprisoned for thousands of years. Maybe the human pantheons were the ones who imprisoned them.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

I am interested in seeing if I can use Mythos to show me how I could create Titan based Scions and not just Titanspawn. This would make the war even worse or better.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                        Samudra The Old Ones have been imprisoned for thousands of years
                        And if you listen to the Deva that wasn't even a previous age of humanity. According to the Deva, they've been around since the dawn of the universe, if not longer. And they're not the only ones who say "We were around in an age before this lost echo of times past".

I personally will be keeping the Mythos very separate from the mainline games because truth be told? Compared to the Gods of humanity, the Elder Gods of the Mythos are kinda chumps. Yeah, Azathoth can potentially unmake all of everything. Shiva sometimes tries that when he wakes up from a bender until his sister slaps him upside the head and tells him "Not TODAY, you idiot"

Ancient malevolent demons from the stars above? The Teotl fight those every night, and they've been holding them at bay THIS long.

Now granted I'm one of those killjoys who finds the Elder Gods to be really boring, so I admit I may not be giving them enough credit, but from what I know of their source material and the build-up since then... Yeah, they're powerful. To a human. But are they really that impressive when they're not bullies picking on small humans?

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Does anyone know The Bifrost Incident by The Mechanisms? I think they did the mix of mythology and Lovecraft rather well. Even though I'm not really that fond of doing it in Scion to be honest.

Comment

I'm not sure what the point is with Masks of the Mythos they are NOT crossing over with human mythology. That's like losing the entire unique selling point, might as well just play Call of Cthulhu in that case.

I'm also not sure why the Mythos would be contradictory in any way to mythology. To me the big horrible monsters of the mythos are basically a modern version of the Titans of ancient mythologies.
                            Last edited by Aristarkos; 05-15-2020, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

And if you listen to the Deva that wasn't even a previous age of humanity. According to the Deva, they've been around since the dawn of the universe, if not longer. And they're not the only ones who say "We were around in an age before this lost echo of times past".

I personally will be keeping the Mythos very separate from the mainline games because truth be told? Compared to the Gods of humanity, the Elder Gods of the Mythos are kinda chumps. Yeah, Azathoth can potentially unmake all of everything. Shiva sometimes tries that when he wakes up from a bender until his sister slaps him upside the head and tells him "Not TODAY, you idiot"

Ancient malevolent demons from the stars above? The Teotl fight those every night, and they've been holding them at bay THIS long.

Now granted I'm one of those killjoys who finds the Elder Gods to be really boring, so I admit I may not be giving them enough credit, but from what I know of their source material and the build-up since then... Yeah, they're powerful. To a human. But are they really that impressive when they're not bullies picking on small humans?
                              Yes, but the Deva could be wrong. Just cause a god says it doesn’t mean it’s true.

The part about Shiva is kind of funny, but I still disagree with you. The Old Ones of the Mythos are more like Titans or even Primordials than gods.

Exactly! That totally fits. Why couldn’t the Old Ones be the “ancient malevolent demons from the stars” that the Teotl banished thousands of years ago?

Anyway, I basically agree with Aristarkos. I mean, in the end I’m gonna do what I want (or at least I’ll get whoever runs the game to do it if it’s that important to me) and you’re gonna do what you want, but I still think combining the Mythos with the pantheons is a valid idea.

Sorry. I’m half asleep, so this might seem a little disjointed lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X