Mythos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I imagine they were added much the same way that Dagon was 'added' to the Mythos, in that the writer just took the name of a God and said "They're part of this too" and not having a lot of connection with the actual deity.

If that came up at my table I'd probably flat-out say "They have the same name, but they're not THOSE Bast and Nuada"

Edit: Though I've no real objection to Atlas's take on "These identities were assumed by other Scions who achieved Apotheosis", save for my basic objection of finding the Lovecraft Entities really boring.
    Nodens is in stories by HPL as is Bast. Both are in multiple editions of Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu. As Lovecraft adored cats, Bast was a shooin. Nodens, whose worship was accepted and respected by the Romans, was a respectable British god in HPL's anglophile eyes.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 06-26-2020, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

Nodens is in stories by HPL as is Bast. Both are in multiple editions of Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu. As Lovecraft adored cats, Bast was a shooin. Nodens, whose worship was accepted and respected by the Romans, was a respectable British god in HPL's anglophile eyes.
      So Lovecraft threw them in and probably in ways that would make the Gods in question go "Wait what?"

Yeah, bout what I though. I'll stick with my stance of "They have the same names but they're not the same Gods"

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

I would make them crazy mantles of the respective gods. I don’t know how the gods can switch mantles, but if they work as multiple personalities, they could be a mechanism of defense against the alien minds or something similar.

Nodens, if I my memory don’t fail, is a hunter of old ones, with those weird hounds working for him. It sounds like a god that went crazy on revenge or just to show how powerful he is.
        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 06-27-2020, 01:03 PM.

The proper answer to “Hello There” is, obviously, “General Kenobi”.
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I imagine they were added much the same way that Dagon was 'added' to the Mythos, in that the writer just took the name of a God and said "They're part of this too" and not having a lot of connection with the actual deity.

If that came up at my table I'd probably flat-out say "They have the same name, but they're not THOSE Bast and Nuada"

Edit: Though I've no real objection to Atlas's take on "These identities were assumed by other Scions who achieved Apotheosis", save for my basic objection of finding the Lovecraft Entities really boring.
          I agree with both Kyman201 and AtlasSniperman about the Mantles and identities of the Elder Gods, but I don’t agree that the Cthulhu Mythos is “really boring.” I would love to see a more direct crossover between “regular” Scion and Masks of the Mythos (a world in which the pantheons and the Mythos exist in the same universe and possibly compete for worshippers).

I’m also REALLY looking forward to Mysteries of the World coming out on DTRPG.

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Mateus Luz is “crazy mantle” an actual gaming term or are you just using it as an adjective like as in “She’s crazy hot?”

“It is a far far better thing I do than I have ever done...” Sidney Carton’s last line before going to the guillotine to save his True Love and her husband

Comment

Crazy more like Insane... definitely not a gaming term.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

I agree with both Kyman201 and AtlasSniperman about the Mantles and identities of the Elder Gods, but I don’t agree that the Cthulhu Mythos is “really boring.” I would love to see a more direct crossover between “regular” Scion and Masks of the Mythos (a world in which the pantheons and the Mythos exist in the same universe and possibly compete for worshippers).

I’m also REALLY looking forward to Mysteries of the World coming out on DTRPG.
                ... I mean like, what's there to compete with?

On one hand you have the Theoi or the Teotl or the Deva who keep the world running, bless their champions, ensure the proper way of things, may give you an afterlife...

On the OTHER hand you have the Lovecraft Gods, who are big, scary, and at best see you as insects beneath their notice or at worst actively hate you.

Who would worship the Outer Gods? These guys fucking suck from the perspective of a mortal. Like, how would that pitch meeting go between worshippers?

Theoi Worshipper: Zeus guarantees law and order and ensures oaths are kept.

Teotl Worshipper: Our gods give of their blood and flesh to provide water and food and keep the sun ablaze. They ask for offerings, yes, but they do not ask for that which they are not willing to give. It's a divine pact.

Deva Worshipper: So I danced for the entire day until my feet were numb but after Kali blessed me and helped my partner and I have a child together, it's a literal miracle!

Mythos Worshipper: My God actively hates me and the only benefit I get from this is that when they try to kill everyone I'll get eaten first. Or ignored.

Anunna Worshipper: Bruh my pantheon only recently started calling humanity their subjects instead of their slaves and I think that you gotta get out.

Disclaimer: I'll huff, grump, and defend my position, but if you're having fun I'll never say you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Kyman201 OMG 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Okay you made your point 😊. But that still doesn’t mean the Mythos and their worshippers can’t exist as antagonists in the same universe as Scions of the pantheons. Or what about a Begotten Scion of Yog-Sothoth who is just now realizing how bad her divine parent sucks and needs the Band’s help in stopping the rise of the Mythos?

Comment

... I mean like, what's there to compete with?

On one hand you have the Theoi or the Teotl or the Deva who keep the world running, bless their champions, ensure the proper way of things, may give you an afterlife...

On the OTHER hand you have the Lovecraft Gods, who are big, scary, and at best see you as insects beneath their notice or at worst actively hate you.

Who would worship the Outer Gods? These guys fucking suck from the perspective of a mortal. Like, how would that pitch meeting go between worshippers?

Theoi Worshipper: Zeus guarantees law and order and ensures oaths are kept.

Teotl Worshipper: Our gods give of their blood and flesh to provide water and food and keep the sun ablaze. They ask for offerings, yes, but they do not ask for that which they are not willing to give. It's a divine pact.

Deva Worshipper: So I danced for the entire day until my feet were numb but after Kali blessed me and helped my partner and I have a child together, it's a literal miracle!

Mythos Worshipper: My God actively hates me and the only benefit I get from this is that when they try to kill everyone I'll get eaten first. Or ignored.

Anunna Worshipper: Bruh my pantheon only recently started calling humanity their subjects instead of their slaves and I think that you gotta get out.
                    Yeah, worshiping the Outer Gods would be like worshiping the Titans. In fact exactly the same, and we know that there are cults that worship the Titans and are about exactly like the cults worshiping Cthulhu in Lovecraft's tales. The Mythos are simply another group of Titans. With admittedly strange bells and whistles.

Comment

I've typed out and deleted like five different responses but ultimately... I don't see the point in putting in Cthulhu for the sake of Cthulhu, and I don't see the point in using the Mythos if you're putting it in a setting that they don't suit, thematically.

Because then you're just putting them in for the meme value. Which yeah, I was in high school when Cthulhu started being a meme, that was like 15 years ago, so I guess I initially knew Cthulhu as nothing more than a joke, and then later I knew about the Mythos, academically, as a cosmic horror series.

Like I'm working off and on on a setting hack that borrows elements from The Magnus Archive, a podcast I'm quite fond of that features Ancient Entities that are the fears of humanity, and Weird Stuff is the result of them brushing a bit too close to our world so that they can Feed. Would recommend.

HOWEVER! I'm also making this hack with the assumption that there are no other Gods in this World, because their very thematic core doesn't work if they're defanged. Yes, the Slaughter represents the fear of senseless violence happening to you, but next to someone like Ares or Tyr, who could be that violence happening or protect you from it, then the entity of the Slaughter either gets crowded out by a more interesting being or it's not as scary when it's not being a bully.

But really we're just spinning wheels again and again and again so I'm going to bow out. I'm definitely not gonna dispatch the Canon Ninjas if someone tries to put Cthulhu in their Scion games but I will never understand the appeal, because it seems to be taking the Mythos and using it in a way that removes its primary appeal: The horror aspect.

Comment

I agree with you. I know there are options and all, but much of what Mythos represent is terror and insanity if what’s beyond possible for the characters.
                        If you limit to cultists and maybe sorcerers (hero level) it still makes sense as their power is far beyond (scales above) your reach and even your little power would drive you insane. It is not what Scion was made for, I mean, your character is locked to legend in all that is not Skills and Attributes, knacks, purview, birthrights (mainly when dealing with Origin).

Yet, I like the concept, I will buy it (back it if KS happens) just for whatever they are bringing. It’s not usual to play the other side of Mythos (the non mortal side) and, in the worst situation, I can adapt some to TC and play an investigative game with a system that fits better my taste (in opposition to CoC that is quite overwhelming to me)

Comment

Kyman201, Mateus Luz you both make some very good points. Ultimately I’m gonna buy Masks of the Mythos when it comes out, read it carefully from cover to cover (or at least the important parts), and only then decide what (if anything) I want to do about combining Scion with the Cthulhu Mythos or creating a character for that setting.

Comment

The best answer I've ever seen to that question was Victor LaValle's The Ballad of Black Tom.

Basically, revenge. You hate someone or something - even the entire state of the world and its power structure - so much that you don't care what it takes to destroy it. And my impression from Lovecraft's original stories is that they kind of presume that human gods - including God - don't really exist. So if you want something to actually answer your heartfelt prayers for vengeance, the Mythos is probably your best bet.
                            How this would actually work in Scion, I have no idea. I'm guessing that it would have to presume the Theocentric dial being turned down to almost Zero/Hard Iron, with the Mythos the only game in town. And also probably that most of the Mythos's "gods" are classified as Titans.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

Basically, revenge. You hate someone or something - even the entire state of the world and its power structure - so much that you don't care what it takes to destroy it. And my impression from Lovecraft's original stories is that they kind of presume that human gods - including God - don't really exist. So if you want something to actually answer your heartfelt prayers for vengeance, the Mythos is probably your best bet.
                              How this would actually work in Scion, I have no idea. I'm guessing that it would have to presume the Theocentric dial being turned down to almost Zero/Hard Iron, with the Mythos the only game in town. And also probably that most of the Mythos's "gods" are classified as Titans.

Eyep. Nobody would worship the Mythos Powers if there's literally any other option.

Comment

I still think "Thor, Durga, and Sun Wukong team up to punch Cthulhu in the face" would make a fun campaign.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                                X