Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can somebody explain the limit on active Knacks to me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody explain the limit on active Knacks to me?

The book says that your dots in Calling limits how many knacks you could have active. How does this work exactly?

Let's say I have one dot in Trickster and the Knack "In Sheep’s Clothing" that let's me disguise myself without a roll and the Knack "Light Fingered" that lets me steal things from others without needing a roll. I disguise myself with In Sheep's Clothing to get close to a person and decide I need an object of their's which I must steal. If I were to use Light Fingered, must I first drop my use of In Sheep's Clothing before I can do so, showing everyone my true face?
    Last edited by Aristarkos; 05-10-2020, 09:01 AM.

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
    I don't think Kyman meant "permanent" Legend. I don't have my books to hand but I think Kyman meant temporary Legend. I may have my terms wrong, but I know that Permanent Legend gives you temporary points to activate your Purviews etc.
    I never recommended spending Legend to hot-swap your Knacks. My alternate Ruleset was "Spend MOMENTUM to hot-swap your Knacks on the spot". My comment of "Wow that's expensive" is because, as Mateus noted, spending a point of Legend just to swap your Knacks is really not worth it considering the Marvels or Boons you could use that Legend for.

Of course above that I recommend the recommended ruleset suggested in the book. Namely, your Knack slots start empty and you can just Declare your Knacks as needed.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    The problem of spending Legend to change Purviews is that Legend costs a fatebinding or a sacrifice. It means you may take a session just to swap a knack that you may swap in the end of it.

While I agree moving from “you can’t” to “it’s very expensive” is a thing, it’s too expensive to worth, so it’s basically useless to set this rule as no one would use it.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    I don't think Kyman meant "permanent" Legend. I don't have my books to hand but I think Kyman meant temporary Legend. I may have my terms wrong, but I know that Permanent Legend gives you temporary points to activate your Purviews etc.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    According to the books, a Hero can have a number of active knacks equal to their total of Calling dots. In Origin, under Tweaks, it says you can swap out an active knack for an inactive knack in between sessions. So, if you have 5 dots of Callings and 7 knacks, you can only have 5 active at a time, and in between sessions, you can swap out one active one for one of the two extra knacks you have.

Charging a point of Legend to swap knacks means an Origin character could never swap knacks.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Vulcan7200 View Post
    I've actually started to use the House Rule that if they want to change their Knacks, they have to spend a point of Legend. This makes it flexible enough that they don't feel like it's useless having extra Knacks, but gives it enough of a cost that it's a decision they have to think about.
    A point of LEGEND? Wow, that's fucking pricy.

Leave a comment:

• Vulcan7200
    replied
    I've actually started to use the House Rule that if they want to change their Knacks, they have to spend a point of Legend. This makes it flexible enough that they don't feel like it's useless having extra Knacks, but gives it enough of a cost that it's a decision they have to think about.

Leave a comment:

• Ganruy
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    There's a suggested alternate rule for assigning your Knacks that I prefer to use. Your Knack Slots start each session 'Open', but once you declare a Knack, it's 'locked in' until the end of the session.

Your Example: Your Trickster Knack Slot starts open, and for the moment you don't have any Knacks. But then you declare that you're going to Disguise yourself, and thus you're using In Sheep's Clothing. Thus, "In Sheep's Clothing" is declared and is now 'taking up' your Trickster Knack Slot. It will remain that way for the rest of the Session.

And if Players REALLY want to swap out on the fly due to an emergency situation (as a GM I advise against springing a trick to 'catch' your players when they're not specced with their Asskicking Knacks due to it being a Dick Move) then consider allowing them to, if they've filled their slots, spend a point of Momentum for an emergency respec.
    Going to use this rule too as soon as my group does the upgrade to 2e (still in the middle of a 1e story)

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post

I like this version a lot, I'm going to use it.

In that case if a player spends momentum to switch Knacks, would you have the effects of the original Knack end instantly?
    Yes, that's what i'd do. Unless in the respec they choose to keep the Knack, of course

Leave a comment:

• Aristarkos
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    There's a suggested alternate rule for assigning your Knacks that I prefer to use. Your Knack Slots start each session 'Open', but once you declare a Knack, it's 'locked in' until the end of the session.

Your Example: Your Trickster Knack Slot starts open, and for the moment you don't have any Knacks. But then you declare that you're going to Disguise yourself, and thus you're using In Sheep's Clothing. Thus, "In Sheep's Clothing" is declared and is now 'taking up' your Trickster Knack Slot. It will remain that way for the rest of the Session.

And if Players REALLY want to swap out on the fly due to an emergency situation (as a GM I advise against springing a trick to 'catch' your players when they're not specced with their Asskicking Knacks due to it being a Dick Move) then consider allowing them to, if they've filled their slots, spend a point of Momentum for an emergency respec.

I like this version a lot, I'm going to use it.

In that case if a player spends momentum to switch Knacks, would you have the effects of the original Knack end instantly?

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by CassieCataria View Post
    Or hard mode, go with boon rules and only switch them out on a legend up (As I briefly thought was the case ).
    In that case, it is useless to have more Knacks than calling dots (what, to me, kind of make sense).

The problem here is, already too many of the horizontal differences between characters are essentially linked to legend (the vertical aspect of evolution). If you are planning to go a entire campaign without going above Hero, you have characters that have a narrow space to evolve (only skills and attributes).

(what brings me back to... Edges)

Leave a comment:

• CassieCataria
    replied
    As I understand it you can have as many knacks active as you have dots in the appropriate Calling, with Immortal knacks counting for 2 dots. Being able to switch them out at will feels like it makes that limit kind of arbitrary so I'd go with per session. Or hard mode, go with boon rules and only switch them out on a legend up (As I briefly thought was the case ).

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    The number of Active Knack is the number of Knacks you can use in a session.

You can use the same knack multiple times in the session, but, if you have more knacks than calling dots, you can’t use all callings in the same session.

In my table, we pick the knacks as we run, so if you have 3 dots in a calling, and 5 knacks from the same calling, you pick 1 in the first scene, and one Immortal in the second scene, you can’t use any other knack for the rest of the session (but can still use the ones you picked before). But, if I am not wrong, by the rules you pick them in the beginning of the session, and is limited to them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X