Campaigns With Limited Knowledge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campaigns With Limited Knowledge

My mythological knowledge goes to a fairly limited few pantheons. I know the most about Greek and Norse and I am fairly proficient with Egyptian. However, there are a lot of them out there. Even in the core book, there is a cornucopia to choose from. And some of those may appeal to players. Has anyone tried to do it with only a handful (or less) for starting off with? If so, did you include more as time went on?

Now, one solution is to read up on the Pantheons but that means tons of homework in addition to prepping a game and running the game on top of other things like work/school/responsibilities.

Anyone got any ideas on how to handle this situation?

When I started Scion, I didn't know too many pantheons either. Japanese, Greek and Nordic were those I was most familiar with, the others I learned with time. Usually by preparing story hooks that referenced the appropriate mythology in one way or another. Just because you don't know a lot of some of the myths doesn't mean you cannot use them. :-)

If you feel uncomfortable with giving players access to pantheons you yourself do not understand to the appropriate degree, theres no shame in limiting their choices until more open up. I did this too and the game became even richer for it. Maybe there is an alliance between some pantheons, maybe the players are even all descended from one Pantheon for story reasons. Personally, I would limit my players choices, which doesn't have to be restrictive, until I feel comfortable with more mythologies to give into their hands. Just remember that time is your friend here and you are not running a sprint, but a marathon. Pick up small bits and pieces here and there. Watch a documentary, visit a museum, read a book, but don't try to learn everything there is to learn. The great thing about myths and Scion is that a lot of things are still open for interpretation and can certainly be viewed from a lot of different perspectives. And most of all, enjoy!

Comment

You can always cut some pantheons out of your game, in fact it’s better than portrait them poorly or have a players questioning the way you are portraying a god that they chose to put into your game.

My suggestion is following one of the options Ars Magica gave about historical games:
      - Research as much as possible what ever you are going to put on your game (maybe keep a few Wikipedia entrances ready to go if required)
      - Get only what you can and keep distance from the rest;
      - It’s your game you play however you prefer.

of course they wrote better in the book, but it’s your game, so talk to the players and chose the approach you prefer.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Start off with the pantheons you know really well and use the others when you have time to research them.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

As I do Session Zero - or, rather Month Zero, or even Half Year Zero ( ) - I ask players in the poll about Pantheons. As I prepare 'serious' RPG chronicles for about months, even half year before, I got time. Mostly, before those kind of game, I do private Facebook group or small Discord server - and start there topics for players to easily answer in the free time. Their answer shape game and I have time to research what I need in mean time. Chosen main Pantheons point to general starting location of the game - with pointing cross Pantheons Conflicts Regions.

Note: As I play myself as SG, I also marks my options in poll - I prefer Aesir, Theoi and Bogi - but I still open for learning new Pantheons.

Note 2: I generally run two chronicles at the same time - one 'serious' and one 'light-hearted' - to not go with Game Master burn out. When I'm preparing 'serious', I run 'light-hearted' in meantime, hashing sensible and trustworthy players for future 'serious' one. 'Light' game of my choosing is, most often, Monarchies of Mau.

Here is the simple poll I do from Pantheons from Scion 2E corebooks - I ask players each their 3 favorite or interesting - and we go from then on.

• Aesir - Nordic Gods,
          • Bogi - Slavic Gods, ( I'm Slavic enthusiast )
          • Deva - Gods of India (in Asia),
          • Kami - Japanese gods,
          • Manitou - Gods of the Algonquin People,
          • Netjet - Egyptian gods,
          • Orisha - Gods of Yoruba (Africans),
          • Shen - Chinese Gods,
          • Theoi - Greek-Romanesque Gods,
          • Tuatha De Danann - Gods of the Celts,
          • Teotel - Gods of the Aztecs
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 07-18-2020, 04:25 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Honestly in my case I just told my players I know little more about a number of these pantheons than is written in the book. So, if any of them happen to know more on a subject for one that is likely to come up, and if one of them is a Scion of that pantheon assume good odds it will, and would get offended by me running it as more than just an extrapolation of behavior as explained in the book they should probably fill me in.

Comment

My ultimate dodge is using the Gods as little as I need, TBH. I'm blessed with a group of players who really enjoy character-focused narratives. Bring in themes if you can find them, bring in some motifs, maybe mirror some stories if you want, but ultimately I like to run my sessions where the story is about the Heroes.

That said, if you feel uncomfortable with certain things because you don't feel like you can do them justice, there's no shame at all in admitting it to your players. Session Zero is very important, both to lay some groundwork and to plan out what kinds of stories you want to tell. During this point, it's easy to go "I know fuck all about the Orisha so if you'd like to play an Orisha Scion I may need to do additional research"

Originally posted by wyrdhamster
              Manitou - Gods of the Algonquin Indians
              I admit I'm not from one of those tribes but AFAIK they'd prefer to be called something like "The Algonquin People" or "Algonquin Nations" rather than 'Indians'. Indians is kind of a disrespectful way to refer to them. IIRC you're not from the Americas so I can understand not knowing this, just for future reference.

Tuatha de Danann - Gods of the Celts
              Ireland, specifically. A 'Gods of the Celts' would be smashing like several dozen different tribal groups together and going "They're all the same anyway". Scion refers to the Gods of the various Gaulish tribes as the Nemetondevos, while the Gods of Wales will be the Plant Don. Saying a figure is from 'Celtic Myth' is about as helpful as saying that a word is from 'A Romantic Language', which may not be incorrect persay but isn't really telling the whole thing.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                My ultimate dodge is using the Gods as little as I need, TBH. I'm blessed with a group of players who really enjoy character-focused narratives. Bring in themes if you can find them, bring in some motifs, maybe mirror some stories if you want, but ultimately I like to run my sessions where the story is about the Heroes.

That said, if you feel uncomfortable with certain things because you don't feel like you can do them justice, there's no shame at all in admitting it to your players. Session Zero is very important, both to lay some groundwork and to plan out what kinds of stories you want to tell. During this point, it's easy to go "I know fuck all about the Orisha so if you'd like to play an Orisha Scion I may need to do additional research"

I admit I'm not from one of those tribes but AFAIK they'd prefer to be called something like "The Algonquin People" or "Algonquin Nations" rather than 'Indians'. Indians is kind of a disrespectful way to refer to them. IIRC you're not from the Americas so I can understand not knowing this, just for future reference.

Ireland, specifically. A 'Gods of the Celts' would be smashing like several dozen different tribal groups together and going "They're all the same anyway". Scion refers to the Gods of the various Gaulish tribes as the Nemetondevos, while the Gods of Wales will be the Plant Don. Saying a figure is from 'Celtic Myth' is about as helpful as saying that a word is from 'A Romantic Language', which may not be incorrect persay but isn't really telling the whole thing.
                Will they be doing a Welsh pantheon?

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

Hopefully. They have mentioned it in the Companion, in the Nemtondevos section.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Awesome 😊😊😊

Comment

Originally posted by thedonnie View Post
                      My mythological knowledge goes to a fairly limited few pantheons. I know the most about Greek and Norse and I am fairly proficient with Egyptian. However, there are a lot of them out there. Even in the core book, there is a cornucopia to choose from. And some of those may appeal to players. Has anyone tried to do it with only a handful (or less) for starting off with? If so, did you include more as time went on?

Now, one solution is to read up on the Pantheons but that means tons of homework in addition to prepping a game and running the game on top of other things like work/school/responsibilities.

Anyone got any ideas on how to handle this situation?
                      There is nothing wrong with doing a game with just two or three Pantheons surviving in the modern time. Do what you feel most prepared for and what you think will be the more interesting story. You can always trickle in revelations of a wider world later.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Hopefully. I keep making references to them in the Scion books; they'll eventually have to give in.

Comment

Yeah, to clarify, they haven't OFFICIALLY announced a Welsh Pantheon writeup but I know Geoffrey would love nothing more.

Edit: Also, for the OP, even if you go with All The Pantheons Exist (which I do), nothing stops you from going "But for this story we're going to focus on these five-" for the sake of a campaign.
                          Last edited by Kyman201; 07-18-2020, 03:25 PM.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                            Yeah, to clarify, they haven't OFFICIALLY announced a Welsh Pantheon writeup but I know Geoffrey would love nothing more.

Edit: Also, for the OP, even if you go with All The Pantheons Exist (which I do), nothing stops you from going "But for this story we're going to focus on these five-" for the sake of a campaign.
                            If I ever ran Scion, I would also rule that all the pantheons exist.

Comment

If I ever ran Scion, I would also rule that all the pantheons exist.
                              I mean that's a good deal of the fun, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X