Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion Homebrew - Nemetondevos: Revised

Hello everyone!

I hope you are enjoying Mysteries of the World: Scion Companion, the book has really brought a ton of really exciting material to everyone’s gaming groups. I think the writing team for the project really have got to be applauded for the really amazing work we have seen on the project, and I am excited to see what comes next for Scion.

As you probably expect, I am here to talk about a new Homebrew project I have completed.

Today we have an entirely rewritten version of the Nemetondevos that draws on more historic material than the primarily fictional version of the Pantheon found in the official material. While the official version of the Pantheon is a valid approach, the Nemetondevos have been a long-time favorite of mine and I fortunately have access to a great deal of academic material to engage with the Pantheon in a more historic approach than was possible for the original version. As I don’t intend to use the original version of the Pantheon, I entirely redid the Pantheon for my own games and thought others might like to use it.
    Found in Nemetondevos: Revised you can find:
    • Completely rewritten entries for all of the divine patrons found in the original book with new sets of Callings and Purviews explained with their historic and archeological justifications.
    • Seven new divine patrons, namely: Arduinna, Ataecina, Busseriginos, Brigantia, Ollodius, Mabon, and Sucellos. (My favorite being Mabon, because who doesn’t love one of the Nemetondevos who has served in the court of Uther Pendragon?)
    • A big Cultural Notes section as is always found in Pantheon Projects I work on.
    • A more historical approach to the Underworlds and Overworlds of the Pantheon, framed as theoretical locations that Scions think exist, rather than making any hard and fast calls for your game.
    • An entirely new set of Virtues (Hegemony and Tribalism), as well as an entirely rewritten version of the Nemeton PsP, and a revised version of the Druid Path intended for a more historical take on the Druids.
    What’s next you wonder? Later this week I’ll be putting up Mysteries of the Otherworld, a continued expansion of Túatha Dé material using the new systems found in Mysteries of the World. What’s in it? 25 new Boons, new Cult tags, and more!

If you have any questions at all, feel free to shout for me here, or on the Scion fan Discord which I’m more or less on every day. I hope you’re enjoying Scion 2e, and that you enjoy this revised version of the Nemetondevos!
    Last edited by Watcher; 08-15-2020, 10:49 AM.

Scion 2e Homebrew Projects:
    The Šiuneš, The Enduri, The Sgā’na Qeda’s, The Abosom, Lebor Óe In Dea, The Zemi, Nemetondevos: Revised, and Mysteries of the Otherworld.

I really like this! It’s real good! Can't wait to get the opportunity to use it

Comment

Great work!

@CaryKingdom - Writer and Ne'er-do-well
      Deititian at Scion: Second Edition
      Storyguide of The Demi Dozen, a Hero-level, live-streamed Scion Campaign
      Everything is subject to change; all opinions expressed are solely my own or those of my houseplants.

Comment

Great work!!!

run 3

Comment

Interesting many thanks, I'll add it to my library.

Comment

I am exceptionally glad that people are enjoying it as much as they are! It was a real passion project of mine, and I am totally happy to answer any questions folks have or anything else if anything has come up while people read through.

The Šiuneš, The Enduri, The Sgā’na Qeda’s, The Abosom, Lebor Óe In Dea, The Zemi, Nemetondevos: Revised, and Mysteries of the Otherworld.

Comment

I have a question. It says one of the possible explinations for there return is a mass titan escape. But i was under the impression that this particular part of the lore was dropped.

So what is the status of the titans.

Also, i would love to see the sanctums of the gods.

Comment

Originally posted by evtrax View Post
                I have a question. It says one of the possible explinations for there return is a mass titan escape. But i was under the impression that this particular part of the lore was dropped.

Also, i would love to see the sanctums of the gods.

A single mass break out is not central to the setting lore anymore. But the core does play with the idea that there is a weakening of the separate prisons of many titans resulting in the escalation of the always brewing cold war status of the Titanomachy at the moment. Basically 2E puts it there if you want it, but it does not DEPEND on it the way 1E did.
                Last edited by glamourweaver; 08-20-2020, 05:56 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by evtrax View Post

Yup! As Glamourweaver says and you point out, that aspect of the lore has been dropped. However, I know a lot of people find it to be a very 'comfortable' common idea to come back to for their games, either as something that happens during the events of their game or is the driving force of the plot, so I included it there. I have a small laundry list of things that could cause the Nemetondevos to 'Come Back' that I have used for various games over the years (including: The French Revolution caused the Pillar of the Boatmen figures to become active again, Cernunnos was never defeated and was working in the background to get things started again, they have always been coming back but never reached above Hero before), but I wanted to include things in the write-up that I thought would be more commonly used by people rather than my own hectic chaotic Scion games.

The status of the Titans is a really good question, in the case of a mass escape. The way I wrote the Titans is intentionally vague, with Scions mostly having several wild theories about exactly what is going on (and, even that these entities are Titans). The Forgotten Father, for instance, might not even exist at all and might just be Scions barking up the wrong tree in their theories. If we assume the Bull With Three Cranes and The Forgotten Father are a) real, b) Titans, c) imprisoned and d) antagonistic, I would expect them being freed to be a very chaotic experience. The Bull likely would just be wandering all through central France causing problems as a large dangerous animal, while The Forgotten Father would probably be creating entire new peoples and population groups at a rapid pace which isn't great for stability.

I was actually planning to write Sancta up in more detail for the Nemetondevos, but from a few hints we have gotten on the Scion Fan Discord from Neall about exactly what a Sancta is, I wasn't exactly sure if I would write them up without having the exact specifics from Demigod in front of me. They don't sound exactly like the 1e Sanctums, so I am just planning to wait to see what Demigod ends up with before I put any ink to paper there for sure.

The Nemetondevos and the Túatha Dé Danann will continue being supported with extra material whenever a new core book comes out, like how I'll have a Túatha Dé Expansion for Companion out hopefully this weekend (maybe. Just editing).

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

A single mass break out is not central to the setting lore anymore. But the core does play with the idea that there is a weakening of the separate prisons of many titans resulting in the escalation of the always brewing cold war status of the Titanomachy at the moment. Basically 2E puts it there if you want it, but it does not DEPEND on it the way 1E did.
                    My personal headcanon is that there was a weakening of the Titans’ prison around 1999 which led to the Titanomachy dial shifting from Bronze to Silver.

Watcher this sounds awesome. I’m gonna read it over the weekend when I have more time.

Comment

A quick question in a kind of In World / Real World mix.

The Irish people were Celtic (before becoming their own people), same for British and Scottish.

Can we consider TDD cousin or even descendants of Nemetondevos?

Also, in real world, where were the Nemetondevos worshiped? Modern France, British islands modern Spain and Portugal, maybe modern Austria, Hungry, etc, as there were Celts all around those places?

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                        My personal headcanon is that there was a weakening of the Titans’ prison around 1999 which led to the Titanomachy dial shifting from Bronze to Silver.

Watcher this sounds awesome. I’m gonna read it over the weekend when I have more time.
                        Totally let me know how you like it! And, for my version of The World, I normally go for 1938-ish being the year where most of the dials went from Iron to Gold.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                        A quick question in a kind of In World / Real World mix.

The Irish people were Celtic (before becoming their own people), same for British and Scottish.

Can we consider TDD cousin or even descendants of Nemetondevos?

Also, in real world, where were the Nemetondevos worshiped? Modern France, British islands modern Spain and Portugal, maybe modern Austria, Hungry, etc, as there were Celts all around those places?
                        Ah, excellent questions!

There are actually even more modern day peoples who are Celtic in origin! The Cornish, Welsh, French, Breton (very notably not French, the French government has been trying to eradicate Breton culture for several centuries sadly), and debatably the Galicians are all Celtic in origin. However, the big question is, what is a Celt? The answer settled on by Academia has one of two parts. Either a) there are no such thing as Celts, or b) Celtic Peoples are any population group that speaks a language identified as being part of the Celtic Language Tree.

So, the Irish (and Scots and Welsh, etc) never stopped being Celtic. There was no original 'Celtic Culture' for them to deviate off from, just a shared language family and linguistic basis. (And some artistic motifs but that's more in the Art History and Archeology side of things).

For your second question, I would suggest consider the Túatha Dé Danann as an entirely separate Pantheon. There are similarities, but the differences are so fundamentally colossal they overshadow everything else. RAW Companion proposes the Nemetondevos as something of a more 'true' version of the Túatha Dé and the Welsh Pantheon which I consider entirely silly and against the spirit of the game. (Also opens a massive can of worms in terms of cultural successors that Scion should know well enough not to touch as it starts to set weird precedent for other Pantheons)

Ultimately, once upon a time, likely around the 2nd century CE, the Pantheons of Ireland likely looked something like the Nemetondevos. But, by the time the stories were recorded and created by Irish monks who loved these stories so much they became fanfic fiends for them, the story had fundamentally changed. No longer were there hundreds of small tribal Pantheons in Ireland, it had been hundreds of years since pre-Christian religion was dominant let alone present in Ireland to a serious degree. So, the Túatha Dé Danann are characters woven from echoes and shadows of deities (along with a few we know are made up due to literary conventions of the middle ages) who had long since faded away. They operate in a Christian world, and a Christian setting. They are God-People (the original term was just Túatha Dé, God-Peoples or God-Like-Peoples) but not Gods.

But, the question is, what does this mean in Scion? I normally say something really bad happened in Ireland in terms of Fate. Something took hundreds of small Pantheons and forged them into the Túatha Dé Danann, which is why so much of what the Túatha Dé Danann has doesn't make much sense. They seem to have a reincarnation system, but exactly what it is has been lost. There appears to be some sort of Supernatural Realm, but the exact details are very uncertain. The Túatha Dé no longer tale worship, they warred with humanity and were slaughtered. They are a very strange Pantheon, and I use them as an example of the dangers of playing too hard and fast with Fate. (For more details, I have an entire chapter of Lebor Oe In Dea down in my signature explaining both the IRL sides of this and how it would work in The World)

Now, how do the Nemetondevos relate to this? Some of them remember Ireland vaguely. Some of them seem to even share conceptual origins. Brigantia and Brigid, Nodens and Nuadu, so on and so forth. But, if they ever were Mantles of each other, the Nemetondevos can't remember and the Túatha Dé Danann have become entirely separate 'persons' with their own everything about them. To the Túatha Dé, the Nemetondevos are annoying weird people who live in Not-Ireland and therefore can be ignored unless they have something to steal. To the Nemetondevos, the Túatha Dé are a bunch of strangers who wear some of their faces, wear shattered fragments of some of their names, and tell stories entirely divided from what the Nemetondevos remember.

So, I tend to ignore the idea of 'Descendants' or 'Cousins' and instead look at how these people would interact. The Túatha Dé would see them as another group to have disagreements with, while the Nemetondevos are likely terrified of the Túatha Dé. Not because of who they are, but because they see twisted and mutilated forms of what-might-have-been themselves there. And the Túatha Dé don't care. Why should they? They have their own stories and just because these weird dead Franks and other Europeans are telling them they're wrong doesn't mean they'll believe them.

For your final question, the Nemetondevos were worshiped from Spain to Anatolia, from Italy to Hadrian's Wall (we don't know what was happening with the Picts and it is a very hotly debated topic about if they were Celts or not). Not all of them were worshiped here. The Nemetondevos are a false-Pantheon (the name 'Nemetondevos' doesn't even make any sense in Gaulish grammar and means 'Sacred-Shrine-God' not 'The Gods of the Sacred Shrine' like the book says). You wouldn't find Cernunnos worshiped in Galacia in modern day Turkey, and you wouldn't find the Gods of the Galacians worshiped in Italy for instance. They are very very regional, and in reality are probably more like hundreds of tiny Pantheons that never knew each other existed. But, revived and restored in the light of a new dawn, the fractured survivors seek to forge a new Pantheon, banding together to survive in a union where they all fell divided.

(But for a more complete list: Wales, Cornwall, England, the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, France, Northern Italy, Western and Southern Germany, Austria, Spain, Hungary, Switzerland, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Albania (I think?), Romania, and into modern day Turkey. I am pretty sure I missed a few in there, but they span the width of Europe and into Asia. Likely the Isle of Mann but our early archeology here is odd, and who knows what was going on in Scotland until the Scots invaded it from Ireland.)

(If you are interested on a more individual scale, in each of the Deity Profiles I actually list where their worship is attested. And, if you want a more detailed answer on 'What's with Ireland' there is a section in Nemetondevos: Revised to discuss it at length likely more fluidly than I have here!)
                        Last edited by Watcher; 08-21-2020, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watcher View Post

Totally let me know how you like it! And, for my version of The World, I normally go for 1938-ish being the year where most of the dials went from Iron to Gold.

Ah, excellent questions!

There are actually even more modern day peoples who are Celtic in origin! The Cornish, Welsh, French, Breton (very notably not French, the French government has been trying to eradicate Breton culture for several centuries sadly), and debatably the Galicians are all Celtic in origin. However, the big question is, what is a Celt? The answer settled on by Academia has one of two parts. Either a) there are no such thing as Celts, or b) Celtic Peoples are any population group that speaks a language identified as being part of the Celtic Language Tree.

So, the Irish (and Scots and Welsh, etc) never stopped being Celtic. There was no original 'Celtic Culture' for them to deviate off from, just a shared language family and linguistic basis. (And some artistic motifs but that's more in the Art History and Archeology side of things).

For your second question, I would suggest consider the Túatha Dé Danann as an entirely separate Pantheon. There are similarities, but the differences are so fundamentally colossal they overshadow everything else. RAW Companion proposes the Nemetondevos as something of a more 'true' version of the Túatha Dé and the Welsh Pantheon which I consider entirely silly and against the spirit of the game. (Also opens a massive can of worms in terms of cultural successors that Scion should know well enough not to touch as it starts to set weird precedent for other Pantheons)

Ultimately, once upon a time, likely around the 2nd century CE, the Pantheons of Ireland likely looked something like the Nemetondevos. But, by the time the stories were recorded and created by Irish monks who loved these stories so much they became fanfic fiends for them, the story had fundamentally changed. No longer were there hundreds of small tribal Pantheons in Ireland, it had been hundreds of years since pre-Christian religion was dominant let alone present in Ireland to a serious degree. So, the Túatha Dé Danann are characters woven from echoes and shadows of deities (along with a few we know are made up due to literary conventions of the middle ages) who had long since faded away. They operate in a Christian world, and a Christian setting. They are God-People (the original term was just Túatha Dé, God-Peoples or God-Like-Peoples) but not Gods.

But, the question is, what does this mean in Scion? I normally say something really bad happened in Ireland in terms of Fate. Something took hundreds of small Pantheons and forged them into the Túatha Dé Danann, which is why so much of what the Túatha Dé Danann has doesn't make much sense. They seem to have a reincarnation system, but exactly what it is has been lost. There appears to be some sort of Supernatural Realm, but the exact details are very uncertain. The Túatha Dé no longer tale worship, they warred with humanity and were slaughtered. They are a very strange Pantheon, and I use them as an example of the dangers of playing too hard and fast with Fate. (For more details, I have an entire chapter of Lebor Oe In Dea down in my signature explaining both the IRL sides of this and how it would work in The World)

Now, how do the Nemetondevos relate to this? Some of them remember Ireland vaguely. Some of them seem to even share conceptual origins. Brigantia and Brigid, Nodens and Nuadu, so on and so forth. But, if they ever were Mantles of each other, the Nemetondevos can't remember and the Túatha Dé Danann have become entirely separate 'persons' with their own everything about them. To the Túatha Dé, the Nemetondevos are annoying weird people who live in Not-Ireland and therefore can be ignored unless they have something to steal. To the Nemetondevos, the Túatha Dé are a bunch of strangers who wear some of their faces, wear shattered fragments of some of their names, and tell stories entirely divided from what the Nemetondevos remember.

So, I tend to ignore the idea of 'Descendants' or 'Cousins' and instead look at how these people would interact. The Túatha Dé would see them as another group to have disagreements with, while the Nemetondevos are likely terrified of the Túatha Dé. Not because of who they are, but because they see twisted and mutilated forms of what-might-have-been themselves there. And the Túatha Dé don't care. Why should they? They have their own stories and just because these weird dead Franks and other Europeans are telling them they're wrong doesn't mean they'll believe them.

For your final question, the Nemetondevos were worshiped from Spain to Anatolia, from Italy to Hadrian's Wall (we don't know what was happening with the Picts and it is a very hotly debated topic about if they were Celts or not). Not all of them were worshiped here. The Nemetondevos are a false-Pantheon (the name 'Nemetondevos' doesn't even make any sense in Gaulish grammar and means 'Sacred-Shrine-God' not 'The Gods of the Sacred Shrine' like the book says). You wouldn't find Cernunnos worshiped in Galacia in modern day Turkey, and you wouldn't find the Gods of the Galacians worshiped in Italy for instance. They are very very regional, and in reality are probably more like hundreds of tiny Pantheons that never knew each other existed. But, revived and restored in the light of a new dawn, the fractured survivors seek to forge a new Pantheon, banding together to survive in a union where they all fell divided.

(But for a more complete list: Wales, Cornwall, England, the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, France, Northern Italy, Western and Southern Germany, Austria, Spain, Hungary, Switzerland, Croatia, Slovenia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Albania (I think?), Romania, and into modern day Turkey. I am pretty sure I missed a few in there, but they span the width of Europe and into Asia. Likely the Isle of Mann but our early archeology here is odd, and who knows what was going on in Scotland until the Scots invaded it from Ireland.)

(If you are interested on a more individual scale, in each of the Deity Profiles I actually list where their worship is attested. And, if you want a more detailed answer on 'What's with Ireland' there is a section in Nemetondevos: Revised to discuss it at length likely more fluidly than I have here!)
                          Fascinating! Why 1938? Because of the Superman myth?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                            Fascinating! Why 1938? Because of the Superman myth?
                            I've never heard of the Superman Myth before, though it sounds interesting. I use that date because I desperately don't like dealing with WWII in the context of Scion and this lets me just side-step it.

Comment

Thank you for the sort but extremely productive class. I had not the time to read the book yet, but it’s in the top of the list, and now so is the Lebor Oe In Dea.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
                              X