Weapon and Armor tags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapon and Armor tags

I was going through the mundane equipment and some of the Tags for Weapons and Armor seems confusing.

First the Piercing (2) Tag
    "This weapon is meant to punch through the protective layers of armor. Reduce a target’s hard armor value by 1 or soft armor value by 2 when dealing damage with a weapon with this quality."

But the Soft armor only has a value of 1 and the Hard Armor is 1 or 3

I looked through the Trinity Core Book, and it works a little different there, but makes a lot more sense.

I was also a little confused by the “Skill tags” most weapons have, like Firearms, Melee and Thrown. It seems like the authors wanted to give each weapon a defining tag, like “this is an axe, you use Melee to fight with it”, but then all the guns have both the Firearms and Range tag (I know the enhancement doesn’t stack), but it seems redundant, as bows only get the Range tag. The Thrown tag adds enhancement to both Firearms and Athletics, even though you would use Athletics to throw an object.

Again, this makes more sense in the Trinity book. Weapons just get a Qualety Tag for +1 or +2 Enhancement.

How do you guys handle it?
    Bashing and Lethal damage doesn't make much sense either, It seems like I should just ignore the rules from Scion Origin and use the Trinity ones.

Yes, they forgot to add more Soft tags to the limit. I would allow an armor up to 3 Soft in Scion, as you can’t combine Soft and Hard.

The idea is the same, you ignore 1 of the Hard Armor boxes or ignore 2 points of soft armor, according to the armor the target is using.

The Fire Arms and the Ranged tag are a bit redundant but not much. Ranged gives maximum range of short and Long Range maximum range of Medium, in both cases, you have a increase in difficulty when firing under that range (close to ranged and short or close to long range). Fire Arms uses Fire Arms skill not athletics to shoot, and (as I read) the enhancements should stack, for all fire weapons have a +2 when shooting at proper range and +1 when out of proper range.

Bashing and Lethal x Edge, Balistic and Blunt is another discussion. I honestly would use TC, except it works different when doing damage with powers. Scion focuses on powers not on equipment, so basically, they ignore details on equipments to focus on how powers will affect the character. For example, Death purview can be used to cause damage to the target, what kind of damage? Well, just damage, Fire purview is obvious, but most purviews are not. Trinity have a more technical play, you have strategy on picking equipment, you have strategy on using powers, that is a different game, if you got to other Storypath system games you would end wit different feelings too.

I think we never used the Bashing x Lethal in game, we just do damage in Scion, and that’s all. It works fine, just like most of the RPGs.

Edit: actually, we do types of damage on a free form style. For example, an fire attack would cause fire damage, and fire resistant creatures would have a higher armor to that end, same for other types, but it is quite general to be honest, and I doubt it was really used during any of our games.
    Last edited by Mateus Luz; 08-29-2020, 05:27 AM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.
      Would you, on Soft armor, charge 1 tag point per defence or 1 for the first and 3 for the second?
      It would make sense firearms have +2 enhancement on the intended range, but on page 122, in the "Weapon Tags" paragraph, it states "Enhancement bonuses granted by weapon tags do not stack."

Comment

Soft Armor I would use 1 per defense, up to 3.

Well, so they don’t, and Firearm is an useless tag.

Comment

I'm going to stick with the 2nd enhancement for Ranged + Firearms, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike McCall View Post
            I'm going to stick with the 2nd enhancement for Ranged + Firearms, personally.
            That the way I use too (but my group prefer melee, so I think none of us have a gun, and if have never used).

Comment

I don't give Ranged + Firearms stacking Tags, personally

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

How about improviced weapons, what tags would you give them?
                I'm thinking most stuff would have no tags at all

Comment

Probably depends on what kind of weapon. But, here's one I would do:

I don't give improvised weapons the basic Melee/Ranged/Other Basic Weapon Tags. This means that if you grab a chair, it may have the Bashing and possibly Knockdown tags, but I won't give it the Melee Tag Enhancement, because it's not balanced as a weapon and more awkward.

Now I'd say that the Knack "Death By Teacup" would sidestep this, giving you that tag Enhancement.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

That is what I was thinking too, as not to undermine the death by teacup knack.
                    Then if one of my players grab a car and use it as a weapon, it would have the added scale (and damage condition), the Bashing tag and maybe the pushing tag. And maybe two-handed..

Comment

If I could throw a pebble fast enough (supersonic speed shall we say) it would probably be as deadly as a bullet. Depending on its shape and composition, it may be more deadly than a bullet. There are supposed to be martial arts masters who specialize in throwing anything that comes to hand to deadly effect. I don't know how much of that is a myth, but if legend says that a mortal can learn to throw books, pots, and bric-a-brac, to deadly effect, then the child of a warrior god should be able to do the same. The game's logic should be a mythic/poetic logic.

Comment

Yeah, even without Death by Teacup, if you can throw an apple fast enough to make a mach cone (which definitely has a lot of Scale) then the Enhancement from not having a specific weapon tag isn't exactly something you'll be hurting for.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                          Yeah, even without Death by Teacup, if you can throw an apple fast enough to make a mach cone (which definitely has a lot of Scale) then the Enhancement from not having a specific weapon tag isn't exactly something you'll be hurting for.

Point taken.

Comment

Now that weapon tags dosn't stack, most relevant for the Ranged and Firearms tags.
                            But what about the enhancements from Scale. Is Scale on a weapon a Tag or its own thing?

Example: a Scion picks up a car and uses it as an improvised weapon, the car is a Scale 1 improvised weapon adding +2 enhancements.
                            Or an Ant-tank rocket, with Scale 3, adding +6 enhancements for Scale, AND +1 from firearms and +1 from Ranged (that dosn't stack). Would that be +6 or +7 enhancement?

Comment

Originally posted by Kalle View Post
                              Now that weapon tags dosn't stack, most relevant for the Ranged and Firearms tags.
                              But what about the enhancements from Scale. Is Scale on a weapon a Tag or its own thing?

Example: a Scion picks up a car and uses it as an improvised weapon, the car is a Scale 1 improvised weapon adding +2 enhancements.
                              Or an Ant-tank rocket, with Scale 3, adding +6 enhancements for Scale, AND +1 from firearms and +1 from Ranged (that dosn't stack). Would that be +6 or +7 enhancement?
                              To be able to use a car as a weapon, the Scion must have scale at least equals to the car, so, when using a car as a weapon it would be a higher scale attack. Basically you would get the scale any way, using the car just change the tags your attack uses.

Enhancements stack with scale, so it would be a +7 in the second example,

Comment

Working...
                              X