Scion 2E Demigod Kickstarter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andrewm9 View Post
    So that Anunna update is interesting. I would not have pegged Ishtar for having Epic Strength or Epic Dexterity, but rather Sky and Stars instead. Mesopotamian myth is complex though because of how old it is. I admit I am not a scholar and may not know the full stories of her existence. I also would have pegged her for a Liminal calling instead of a Trickster, but the line can be fine for that and I can see both sides of the coin.
    The reason Ishtar does not have Stars is that, essentially, we had to decide if we wanted to give everyone Stars. Almost all of the Anunna have a star or planet associated with them! Ultimately, we settled on that being left to the three elder gods over the rest. Ishtar's a war goddess and a warrior herself, with exceptional strength and speed demonstrated in some of her stories, and she doesn't really have a ton of weather associations...but overall, the Anunna were hard to narrow down Purviews for.

Comment

What stories are those? I love reading about those ancient myths. Is there a recommended source for them? Thanks for the insight. I suspected it might be the case.

Comment

What stories are those? I love reading about those ancient myths. Is there a recommended source for them? Thanks for the insight. I suspected it might be the case.
        Most of the Sumerian texts can be found here: http://etcsl.orinst.ox.ac.uk/

Comment

The specific story I'm thinking of is Inana and Ebih, where Ishtar/Inana gets very angry at a mountain and kills it with a mix of her terrifying archery (which also involves a lot of stone hail and silt flood, but I take that in this case to be metaphor or special effects for her power rather than something that'd require Sky or Water) and knife fighting.

Mountains have necks, by the way.

Comment

Classic Inanna. She is one angry lady.

Comment

Classic Inanna. She is one angry lady.
              Inanna wouldn't get angry if there weren't so many people PISSING HER OFF! :P

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Just finished reading the Annuna snippet. Love it! Glad to see my boys are being well-represented.

I would argue that, if a Goddess has a well-known title like "Queen of Heaven," she probably qualifies for the Stars Purview, and I've always heard of her being described as a Sky Goddess as well. But, who cares? If I think she should have those, I can give her two more Purviews all by myself.

I'm a big boy, now!

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

As to 'Titans uncertainty', there is direct pointing in Demigod Preview 1 about Demigods taking Titan Callings -
                  'Titans on the Threshold
                  While completing the Threshold Deed, a Demigod can choose to take on any of the Titanic Callings from Titanomachy as part of his progress. If he still has any of those Callings when he completes the Milestone, however, it becomes a fixed part of his character and will cause other legendary beings to treat him accordingly.'

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                  LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                    As to 'Titans uncertainty', there is direct pointing in Demigod Preview 1 about Demigods taking Titan Callings -
                    'Titans on the Threshold
                    While completing the Threshold Deed, a Demigod can choose to take on any of the Titanic Callings from Titanomachy as part of his progress. If he still has any of those Callings when he completes the Milestone, however, it becomes a fixed part of his character and will cause other legendary beings to treat him accordingly.'
                    "You have a Titanic Calling."

"Yeah so do half the Anunna and most of the Atua. Shiva and Kali are Destroyers. The fuck's your point?"

(Disclaimer: Yes I realize that neither Shiva nor Kali in the corebook have the Destroyer Calling, but that is very likely due to "Destroyer didn't exist when they were being written" and I'll personally be treating Shiva as having Destroyer from here on out because d'uh)

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

"You have a Titanic Calling."

"Yeah so do half the Anunna and most of the Atua. Shiva and Kali are Destroyers. The fuck's your point?"
                      It's worth it just to watch the kid with the Destroyer calling sitting in a tree, picking his teeth with the tip of his knife, watching his detractor getting pasted by some big, scaly horror and just calling down.

"You doing OK down there, cupcake?"

And pointedly not representing. Not until they ask. Really, really nicely.

How else is a guy gonna get respect for doing what nobody else wants to do?

Comment

I'm deeply confused about The Descent. We're supposed to resolve a strength 5 fatebinding in such a way that takes the mortal out of play - despite the fact that strength 5 fatebindings explicitly can't be resolved in that way: they're supposed to endure beyond death after all. Is there some kind of exception to the rule callout I'm missing here? It feels like the intent is that the new SGC is supposed to be truly gone, not 'just' lingering as a ghost but there's nothing in the text to make it clear how this is supposed to go, that could just be my read..

Comment

Originally posted by Croakamancer View Post
                          I'm deeply confused about The Descent. We're supposed to resolve a strength 5 fatebinding in such a way that takes the mortal out of play - despite the fact that strength 5 fatebindings explicitly can't be resolved in that way: they're supposed to endure beyond death after all. Is there some kind of exception to the rule callout I'm missing here? It feels like the intent is that the new SGC is supposed to be truly gone, not 'just' lingering as a ghost but there's nothing in the text to make it clear how this is supposed to go, that could just be my read..
                          When a Fatebinding is Resolved, it's Resolved. The Fatebinding Duration represents how long it will last before fading on its own. Resolving it supercedes that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

When a Fatebinding is Resolved, it's Resolved. The Fatebinding Duration represents how long it will last before fading on its own. Resolving it supercedes that.
                            Okay, firstly apologies for getting the term wrong. This is the Parting, not the Descent. That said, Strength 5 Fatebindings have an exemption to the resolution thing.

Originally posted by Scion Hero p197
                            * Strength 5 Fatebindings last even beyond the death or apotheosis of either party; if the Scion’s player creates a new character who is the reincarnation of her previous character, the Fatebinding transfers over. Likewise, if the Fatebound mortal dies, his ghost wakes in the Underworld of the Scion’s pantheon and remains Fatebound — though at the Storyguide’s discretion, the SGC’s role might change (usually, though not always, to Jinx, Nemesis, or Rival). The Fatebound character may never be removed from play by the resolution of a role Condition.
                            I was wondering if Demigod has a specific exemption to that, or if I'm misunderstanding something. But AFAICT it's just a contradiction as presented.

Originally posted by Demigod Preview p19
                            The Milestone for the Parting stage requires a character to build up a new Fatebinding to Strength 5, then Resolve it. It has to be a new Fatebinding (with a role chosen from one of the Scion’s Callings), but it can either be with an established SGC or with a new one introduced for the purpose. This bond doesn’t count against the maximum number of Fatebindings a character can have. Each time it is Invoked, the Strength increases by 1 automatically at the beginning of the next session. The Resolution must take a form that removes the SGC from play permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by Croakamancer View Post
                              I was wondering if Demigod has a specific exemption to that, or if I'm misunderstanding something. But AFAICT it's just a contradiction as presented.
                              I'd be inclined to treat it as an exception to the general rule. It adds more dramatic weight if the person who you thought was always going to be there, even beyond death, is now gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoffrey View Post

I'd be inclined to treat it as an exception to the general rule. It adds more dramatic weight if the person who you thought was always going to be there, even beyond death, is now gone.
                                Mmm. I'm unsure - you're right of course, but that runs the risk of that person and their interractions having less weight. Like, maybe keep the bond on the sheet but move the character out of play, so it's some kind of Banquo's Ghost effect, where they're not full on there but are a part of the story that sticks with you....

*shrugs* I guess I'd case by case it, personally. I'm just curious of the intent, and of any other ways to handle it.

Comment

Working...
                                X