Percy Jackson's World as Scion series

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Percy Jackson's World as Scion series

Topic for adopting Percy Jackson’s, Camp Half-Blood and related franchise ( like Kane Chronicles or Magnus Chase and Gods of Asgard ) to the Scion games – or what can be extracted from it to normal series of game. With Disney+ TV series adaptation announced, topic is in order. For short, I will mark this books setting as Percy-verse from now on. ( I mark I just watched movies in Percy-verse, not read the books, but go ahead and talk about them, I don’t mind. Maybe you will convince me to read them all. 😊 )

So in Scion Companion – Mysteries of the World terms, on Myth Levels basis, Percy-verse is Genre Bronze, Theocentrism Silver ( I think? Percy’s universe have at least 3 Pantheons series now – on the other hand, mortals do not perceive mythical beings on day to day basis. Will come back to it later. ), Titanomachy Silver and Evidance Iron.

With centaurs hidden as man on wheelchair and satyrs as guys with crutches, some kind of Gods in Hiding game hack is in the use here. In linked topic I proposed rules for Mythical Mists for Evidence Iron and Heroic settings – that should work great for Percy-verse, as Mist is already part of it's setting. 😎

What do you think about it, guys and gals?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-04-2020, 10:01 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Well, you SHOULD read at least the first Percy Jackson Book Series, it is FAR FAR FAR better than the movies. The movies are nice if you didn’t read the book, the book is much better founded on the myths, even with some literary licenses.

My impression from the books is, it is a Iron/Heroic in most of the dials, and the pantheons know each other but don’t interact much, or at least don’t let their scions interact much.

The mist works to reduce the evidence to iron, even watching a god crossing swords with a monster would not turn mortals capable of seeing the truth of divine. They see things like cars exploding and people fighting using swords, but not swords made of pure shadow or a bronze armor.
    To be fair, not even the Heroes and Demigods can see the real form of the the Mythic things. Percy, for example, get the Nemean Lion Hide and to him it seams like a jacket (it dropped from the lion when it was killed, they call trophies or something like that). Only the Oracle could see it as the lion hide over Percy shoulders.
    Some demigods, mainly girls, but not only, can handle the mist to create illusions and cover the supernatural even from other mythic creatures and demigods.

Monsters are supernatural, some are titanspawns (they literally spawn from Tartarus sometime after killed, usually a few generations, the stronger ones tend to take longer, and their bodies disappear when killed, leaving trophies behind, like the horn of the Minotaur, the head of Medusa and the god of the nemean lion) and some are natural spirits that are born from other natural creatures, like centaurs, nymphs and satyrs (they reincarnate when killed).

The powers of the gods don’t come from the worship, but from the concepts they embrace, Pan, for example was weak and lost for centuries until the heroes found him dying, as nature is weakened by the human occupation. It probably would happen to other gods too, Dionysius was put down during a fight just to be found parting in a pub to recover his strength. Their power is also liked to Olympus somehow, both the invisible town of gods floating above Manhattan and the physical mountain in Greece.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Percy books only delve into the Greek and Roman gods. When crossovers happen with the other series they're kind of treated like a big deal. The gods seem to observe some mythic non-interference with each other, but that barrier doesn't apply to demigods and magicians and such, so they can bump into each other and raise strange questions for each other about how they assumed the cosmology worked.

I kind of have the theory reading, the second Gigantomachy with Gaia stirring, and Apophis rising to devour the sun, both events portrayed as throwing the underworld into upheval and leading to a lot of dead souls and previously slain monsters breaking out, were cultural reflections of the same metaphysical event that the Demigods and the Kanes were interacting with simultaneously. So that might explain why the pantheons don't directly help each other out with world threats, because they are actually all dealing with it simultaenously through their own lens.

Anyway, Fierrochase, OTP 4ever!
      Last edited by glamourweaver; 09-04-2020, 03:46 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Your theory is really interesting, fits perfectly. I think the only problem there is the possible Ragnarok that is not in sinc (you can trace the timeline by the interaction with the other pantheon)

Comment

I recall hearing that the author of Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan, played Scion 1e with his son and friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
            Your theory is really interesting, fits perfectly. I think the only problem there is the possible Ragnarok that is not in sinc (you can trace the timeline by the interaction with the other pantheon)
            That they stopped before any major metaphysical upheval, so it’s ok that it doesn’t lineup. The sliver of Surtr in the mortal world that killed Magnus is easy enough to assume to have slipped in pre-Ragnarok because of all the chaos.

Comment

Originally posted by Tytalus View Post
              I recall hearing that the author of Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan, played Scion 1e with his son and friends.
              Yes, I remember him mentioning that on his old Blog.

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

That they stopped before any major metaphysical upheval, so it’s ok that it doesn’t lineup. The sliver of Surtr in the mortal world that killed Magnus is easy enough to assume to have slipped in pre-Ragnarok because of all the chaos.
                Indeed. I just finished the Sword of summer, so I don’t really know how far it went to be honest.

Comment

Percy books only delve into the Greek and Roman gods. When crossovers happen with the other series they're kind of treated like a big deal. The gods seem to observe some mythic non-interference with each other, but that barrier doesn't apply to demigods and magicians and such, so they can bump into each other and raise strange questions for each other about how they assumed the cosmology worked.

I kind of have the theory reading, the second Gigantomachy with Gaia stirring, and Apophis rising to devour the sun, both events portrayed as throwing the underworld into upheval and leading to a lot of dead souls and previously slain monsters breaking out, were cultural reflections of the same metaphysical event that the Demigods and the Kanes were interacting with simultaneously. So that might explain why the pantheons don't directly help each other out with world threats, because they are actually all dealing with it simultaenously through their own lens.

Anyway, Fierrochase, OTP 4ever!
                  Oh interesting. I may need to check out the series now that it’s grown so big. I was a big fan of the series Everworld but I missed getting the ending books, I should find a collection of them someday.

Comment

There is more subtle nods to other pantheons in the Trials of Apollo series. A son of Shango shows up and Indra gets a mention.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                      There is more subtle nods to other pantheons in the Trials of Apollo series. A son of Shango shows up and Indra gets a mention.

He also acknowledges that him not flying the Sun Chariot* through the sky isn't an immediate problem, because Ra's still riding his barge, etc etc. Which is more or less how it works in Scion (the multiple truths are backup systems for each other)

*the series goes with the idea that Helios lost the chariot to Apollo because of shifting belief about who the sun was.

Comment

*the series goes with the idea that Helios lost the chariot to Apollo because of shifting belief about who the sun was.
                        So in the Percy-verse Helios and Apollo are different beings, unrelated to one another. In Scion, they are the Mantles of same Sun Titan from Theoi, yes? So in Scion, if Helios is taken out, Apollo should also be - as they are Mantles of the same being? ( Will ask this also in Mantle topic. )

He also acknowledges that him not flying the Sun Chariot* through the sky isn't an immediate problem, because Ra's still riding his barge, etc etc. Which is more or less how it works in Scion (the multiple truths are backup systems for each other)
                        So, basically, the World as setting is undestroyable. To kill the concept in Percy-verse AND Scion you need to kill every one of Gods & Titans related to the concept, in every Pantheon existing in setting. So to 'kill the Sun' you would need to kill every Sun God in every existing Pantheon,,,

Ragnarok is partially meaningless then - all you can achieve then is only change of this generation of Gods - for next generation of Gods. World, as the whole, would still exists without all Aesir killed, even in one instance...
                        Last edited by wyrdhamster; 09-04-2020, 11:31 PM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                        LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

So in the Percy-verse Helios and Apollo are different beings, unrelated to one another. In Scion, they are the Mantles of same Sun Titan from Theoi, yes? So in Scion, if Helios is taken out, Apollo should also be - as they are Mantles of the same being? ( Will ask this also in Mantle topic. )
                          More like Apollo started picking up an using Helios' Mantle from time to time. So two beings sharing a particular Mantle.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                            So, basically, the World as setting is undestroyable. To kill the concept in Percy-verse AND Scion you need to kill every one of Gods & Titans related to the concept, in every Pantheon existing in setting. So to 'kill the Sun' you would need to kill every Sun God in every existing Pantheon,,,
                            Neall was once asked in the early Kickstarter days what would happen if Apep devoured Ra. The answer was essentially this:

If Ra was devoured, it's not impossible that a new Demigod could claim the Mantle of Ra (Hm, emulation of Ra's nightly journey would be a pretty cool Divine Deed) and thus ensuring that there will still be a Ra.

If, hypothetically, the very IDEA of Ra were destroyed and the Mantle rent asunder... Well, the other Sun gods would pick up the slack. But the World, in the aftermath, would be a little colder, a little darker. In ways both metaphorical and not.

And if, again hypothetically, EVERY sun-adjacent God were slain and their Mantles destroyed and all these Gods removed from the equation... Neall dropped an always relevant Terry Pratchett quote.

The sun would not rise the next day. Instead, the world would be lit by a mere ball of burning gas
                            So your comment of "Ragnarok is not a threat" is... Well it won't destroy EVERYTHING ever, but it won't be good. The three-year winter will still be a pain for people, the flames of Muspelheim will erupt and consume much of the World, and though a new World will be born in the aftermath, it will still have an effect, I've no doubt. The World will survive, but it will be changed, and the Aesir will be very different in its aftermath.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

IIRC, the second Kane Chronicle book has the heroes literally carry a senile mantle of Re (and his Chosen) through that nightly journey, in order to bring Re back.
                              Because he was missing. So yeah, the World would move on.

Less sure about Terra Incognita associated with the pantheons. Personally I would argue that Aa'ru is a lot less sunny if Re doesn't make his journey.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Working...
                              X