The Olympics in the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Olympics in the World

So I have just started my first Scion campaign, and I'm thinking about the possibilities for the campaign. I had one idea about a few adventures revolving around/happening during the Olympics.

Has anyone toyed around with this idea yet? What do you folks think it would be like in The World? I haven't gotten far in thinking about this, but I imagine that the Theoi would be central in the events, or maybe along with a country hosting the games, there would be different "Divine Hosts" every four years.

What do y'all think?

"Oh boys! Look what I got here!"
    "Hey, where the Dynast women at?"

I feel like there would be a heated debate. "Is it cheating if a God boosts your skills?"

Comment

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
      I feel like there would be a heated debate. "Is it cheating if a God boosts your skills?"

Is it a question as to whether or not Scions can compete or whether or not they give a mortal their 'blessing'?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamking89 View Post

Is it a question as to whether or not Scions can compete or whether or not they give a mortal their 'blessing'?
        Both actually.

Comment

I would imagine it's a common practice for Teotl worshipping athletes to offer themselves as sacrifices if they win.

Comment

Given that the ancient Olympics were sacred games, and many other cultures had their own sacred games, perhaps there's a whole "Sacred Games" section of the Olympics in this setting. Maybe Heroes and Demigods are required to complete as a sacrificial act.

Comment

So I've actually headcannoned this quite a bit. So scions right? Not allowed to compete in mortal olympics. No way to balance it out and mortal athletes need a chance to shine. There are completely different sets of olympics for scions, where the rules for balance are much more lax.

Now, are those olympics held every 4 years in my universe? Hell no! Scions fatebind with mortals, rival scions and prideful or mischievous gods sabotage things, and there will inevitably be horrible property damage when a titanspawn inevitably attacks, or just the result of a scion of heracles creating a crater when they win their wrestling match. In short, overly dramatic so that it can't happen too often, but in the end it's a show everyone wants to see. So it's some other significant number, like every fourth olympics, or every forty years, or something like that.

Tldr: scions have their own olympics to prevent the types of shenanigans that normally follow PCs from messing with normal mortal olympics.

Comment

Maybe a different name for the Scion Olympics . Like the Olympics are a competition between some of the best athletes the mortal world has produced, but then you have a different set of games where Scions of different pantheons sign up as representatives of their divine parentage, and the games range from normal events just with the boost that the competitors are Scions; sacred games as previously noted; or things taken up a notch like fencing is replaced by armed melee gladatorial combat and such.

Comment

Well, the original olympics had many scions back in the day... it was exactly where many of the Scions were recognized by the general public.

Of course it was only the Theoi Scions, and it was an celebration to the Theoi, but it could be extended to everyone (even with the general xenophobic traditions of the Theoi.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                  Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                  Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Oh, oh shit, I've actually been poking at concepts like these in my Daily Life in the World project I've been working on, under a section for Sports In General. Something to the effect of (Note: VERY much subject to change)

All major sporting events in the World are rife with cheating and attempts to find and counter the cheating. Major sports leagues, especially international ones, and especially an event like the Olympics, employ a veritable army of sorcerers, priests, and learned experts to search for signs of talismans, amulets, or to sense for good luck charms or blessings. However, even they can only do so much. In 2008, a spokesperson for the International Olympic Committee issued a statement:

"We do the best we can to ensure that everybody is playing fair. However, given the origin of these games, if Nike favors one team over the others one year, there's very little we can do about it."

Most Olympic games proceed in ways where any favors from higher powers are difficult for the observers to spot, save for the Hero-exclusive League where divine powers are more obvious. That is not to say that there are not SOME incidents, such as in 1980 where, while details are sparse, involved the Furies themselves descending onto the field. The Olympics committee refuses to comment further on the 1980 incident, and the only divine comment pertaining to the event came from a priest of Nike.

"The Lady Nike takes her games very seriously, and it would be very serious indeed if she sent more overt action."
                    One part of a section, which opens with how SUPERSTITIOUS athletes are, especially baseball players. If you can, look up George Gmelch's "Baseball Magic". It's a fascinating read.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by nalak42 View Post
                      Maybe a different name for the Scion Olympics . Like the Olympics are a competition between some of the best athletes the mortal world has produced, but then you have a different set of games where Scions of different pantheons sign up as representatives of their divine parentage, and the games range from normal events just with the boost that the competitors are Scions; sacred games as previously noted; or things taken up a notch like fencing is replaced by armed melee gladatorial combat and such.

I've been having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of "fatebinding". Do you think it would keep the Scions from broadcasting these Divine Games on mortal television/streaming services?

Comment

Originally posted by dreamking89 View Post

I've been having trouble wrapping my head around the idea of "fatebinding". Do you think it would keep the Scions from broadcasting these Divine Games on mortal television/streaming services?
                        Eh, if it doesn't stop Heroes from getting recorded slaying a monster on a dozen phones. Honestly, Fatebinding would latch onto how a Hero is a good athlete if broadcast. The books mention that Heroes feel the tugs of Fate the weakest.

Unless you like, step on your shoelace on the starting line and fall on your face before the 50 km dash. Then you may end up with a new Title: Fumbles.

As for how to think of Fatebinding... Think of it as how you fall into habits. Only divinely enforced by Narrative Law. If you establish yourself as a warrior, Fate will ensure that you get into fights. If you establish yourself as a great medic or healer, then you'll probably end up finding a lot of developing plagues for you to combat.

For Gods, these kinds of Fatebindings are much stronger, because the Gods have hard-cast their Legend. Thor fights Giants, Zeus sleeps around, the Gods have made their identities clear, and Fate does its best to ensure that they follow these roles.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                          Oh, oh shit, I've actually been poking at concepts like these in my Daily Life in the World project I've been working on, under a section for Sports In General. Something to the effect of (Note: VERY much subject to change)

One part of a section, which opens with how SUPERSTITIOUS athletes are, especially baseball players. If you can, look up George Gmelch's "Baseball Magic". It's a fascinating read.
                          Do you have a link to this Daily Life in the World thing you are doing? I would love to take a look at it.

Comment

I ran a campaign that started off with my own version of an inter-Pantheon sacred game.

I drew inspiration from the Hunger Games, in the sense that it involves each Pantheon sending a single representative to compete. (Yes, I know the Hunger Games featured two representatives from each district. I figured the Gods would prefer to narrow things down to a single champion to root for.)

The basic breakdown of the games were like this:

1. Unlike the Hunger Games, obviously, it's a voluntary participation thing. Scions volunteer for the games. If there are multiple volunteers, then the Pantheons would hold some kind of lesser competition among the volunteers until only a single champion remained.

2. Also unlike the Hunger Games, the objective isn't to kill all the other Scions. Killing isn't strictly forbidden, but the game can be won without any deaths. Generally, if a Scion starts killing the competition, word spreads to the other champions pretty fast and they usually form an alliance to neutralize the killer.

3. The game was basically a glorified form of Capture the Flag. Champions would be on an island inhabited by all manner of monsters and hazards. They would search for a magical torch and bring it back to their respective Pantheon's camp and light their victory torch, Olympics Opening Ceremony-style.

4. While searching for the torch, Scions can seek to stymie each other in almost any way. Temporary alliances can be formed. If two or more Scions have some kind of personal rivalry, that very likely will come into play at some time.

5. Just like in the Hunger Games, Scions can receive aid from "sponsors," in the form of the Gods themselves. The rules forbid the Gods from directly interfering with the other champions. Obviously, what qualifies as "direct interference" is often hotly debated among the Gods, but it goes without saying that Zeus can't strike an opposing Scion with a lightning bolt. He could, however, send a favorable wind to help the Theoi champion run faster as he approaches the Theoi camp with the torch.

6. Obviously, once a champion finds the torch and starts heading back to his camp, all the other champions pull out all the stops to try to stop him or her and take the torch. Some champions probably don't even search for the torch. They lie in wait until the torch comes into play and try to steal it at the best possible moment. (Trickster Scions LOVE this tactic.)

7. When a champion wins the games, he or she is obviously showered with material wealth by his Pantheon. He or she also gains a lot of favorability with the Pantheon. Need a favor from one of the Gods? He or she will probably grant it on the grounds of "How can I refuse our latest champion?" Rewards of new Birthrights are quite common as well.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty."
                            Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Comment

Originally posted by unnatural1 View Post
                              I ran a campaign that started off with my own version of an inter-Pantheon sacred game.

I drew inspiration from the Hunger Games, in the sense that it involves each Pantheon sending a single representative to compete. (Yes, I know the Hunger Games featured two representatives from each district. I figured the Gods would prefer to narrow things down to a single champion to root for.)

The basic breakdown of the games were like this:

1. Unlike the Hunger Games, obviously, it's a voluntary participation thing. Scions volunteer for the games. If there are multiple volunteers, then the Pantheons would hold some kind of lesser competition among the volunteers until only a single champion remained.

2. Also unlike the Hunger Games, the objective isn't to kill all the other Scions. Killing isn't strictly forbidden, but the game can be won without any deaths. Generally, if a Scion starts killing the competition, word spreads to the other champions pretty fast and they usually form an alliance to neutralize the killer.

3. The game was basically a glorified form of Capture the Flag. Champions would be on an island inhabited by all manner of monsters and hazards. They would search for a magical torch and bring it back to their respective Pantheon's camp and light their victory torch, Olympics Opening Ceremony-style.

4. While searching for the torch, Scions can seek to stymie each other in almost any way. Temporary alliances can be formed. If two or more Scions have some kind of personal rivalry, that very likely will come into play at some time.

5. Just like in the Hunger Games, Scions can receive aid from "sponsors," in the form of the Gods themselves. The rules forbid the Gods from directly interfering with the other champions. Obviously, what qualifies as "direct interference" is often hotly debated among the Gods, but it goes without saying that Zeus can't strike an opposing Scion with a lightning bolt. He could, however, send a favorable wind to help the Theoi champion run faster as he approaches the Theoi camp with the torch.

6. Obviously, once a champion finds the torch and starts heading back to his camp, all the other champions pull out all the stops to try to stop him or her and take the torch. Some champions probably don't even search for the torch. They lie in wait until the torch comes into play and try to steal it at the best possible moment. (Trickster Scions LOVE this tactic.)

7. When a champion wins the games, he or she is obviously showered with material wealth by his Pantheon. He or she also gains a lot of favorability with the Pantheon. Need a favor from one of the Gods? He or she will probably grant it on the grounds of "How can I refuse our latest champion?" Rewards of new Birthrights are quite common as well.
                              Very Nice idea, I might possibly steal it for myself.

Are participants allowed access to their Birthrights during the competition?

Comment

Working...
                              X