'Once and Future' Speculations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Once and Future' Speculations

By today Monady Meeting Notes, there is new Scion 2E book in pipeline - enigmatic Once and Future

Do you have any speculations what it will be about?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

At a guess, the King Arthur/Welsh pantheon book. I hope that is true, as I've really been looking forward to it.

(I'm hoping maybe it'll include something about the Anglo/Saxon/Jute mantles for the Aesir.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Going from the title, well there's only so many things I can think of that are Scion-adjacent that contain the phrase "Once and Future"

In this case, I bet imaginary dollars that "Once and Future" refers to "Once and Future King" and that we're getting a supplement about Arthurian Mythos.

(Okay I'm being a BIT cheeky. Yes, it's an Arthurian Supplement, I saw it mentioned on the OPP Discord)

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Given that the most popular and artistically successful novel on Arthurian themes in the 20th century was T.H. White's "The Once and Future King," No one of Consequence takes the point. Other major works on the theme of Arthur are either obscure in English or suficiantly high art to be simply obscure.

Comment

I need to include a scene where Jesus says of the Arthurian Holy Grail "I have never seen that cup before in my life."

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Probably an Arthurian book. I hope they use The Mists of Avalon as inspiration. But at the risk of repeating myself, even if they don’t, that is so awesome!!!

The die is cast. - Julius Caesar crossing the Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
              Probably an Arthurian book. I hope they use The Mists of Avalon as inspiration. But at the risk of repeating myself, even if they don’t, that is so awesome!!!
              I kinda hope they don't, because even leaving out all the creepy sex stuff that is only creepier with some of the controversies surrounding Bradley's life (but still, make a note of those), the book still isn't very good, not even at its nominal goal of "Arthur Myth but girl power version!"

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                I need to include a scene where Jesus says of the Arthurian Holy Grail "I have never seen that cup before in my life."
                Given the Grail is the Dagda's Umbrey in disguise I wouldn't blame Jesus at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I kinda hope they don't, because even leaving out all the creepy sex stuff that is only creepier with some of the controversies surrounding Bradley's life (but still, make a note of those), the book still isn't very good, not even at its nominal goal of "Arthur Myth but girl power version!"
                  I remember a couple of "Arthurian Myth but girl power version!" fantasy novels from the early 70s. Some of them were fun.

Comment

Really hoping that 1) the Welsh pantheon is in there; and 2) they get as much limelight as the Arthurian mythos in there.
                    Bonus points if the conflicting tales are due to multiple Arthurs trying to claim (and complete) the mantle.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I know all about the controversy, and my skin still crawls when I think about it, but that doesn’t change the fact that the book itself is really good. I read it when I was like 7 and it basically set the standard in my mind for what an Arthurian fantasy should be like (idk anything about the controversy till years later when I was a lot older).
                      Last edited by Penelope; 09-15-2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
                        Really hoping that 1) the Welsh pantheon is in there; and 2) they get as much limelight as the Arthurian mythos in there.
                        Bonus points if the conflicting tales are due to multiple Arthurs trying to claim (and complete) the mantle.

I definitely agree.

Comment

That was always Merlyn’s plan of course. To guarantee that an Arthur could always arise when needed the story must always end in tragedy, the Mantle incomplete, so that someone else can rise to walk the path again when needed.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                            My sister saw that book on the kitchen table after I got it from the Science Fiction Book Club. She confiscated it by her "authority" as the big sister (then as now I tower over her) and I never got to read the book. I saw it again a few years later when we visited her in Virginia Beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

My sister saw that book on the kitchen table after I got it from the Science Fiction Book Club. She confiscated it by her "authority" as the big sister (then as now I tower over her) and I never got to read the book. I saw it again a few years later when we visited her in Virginia Beach.
                              You should get it on Amazon. You’ll totally love it, if you’re into that kind of thing. It’s basically a “girl power” reinterpretation of the Arthurian Cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X