'Once and Future' Speculations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok odd - just realized I was some how in an old account -

anyway [sorry for double posting] - The books mainly just use names and places that are tied to the Story of Arthur - example the 2nd book is called Guns of a Avalon were the main guy has to deal with 'shadow' England so he can get magic guns to over throw his brother with lots of the minion characters being loose taken from the legends [Uther and Lance show up for example] - and the second half of the books the Main person is now Merlin

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I think there'll be rules for that come Demigod, since one of the things you can do is like "I am Gilgamesh, reborn!"

Heck, in Scion terms that'd be an Incarnate Scion.

I am thinking less "I am Gilgamesh reborn" vs "I am Arthur/Sigurd/Temujin awoke after a centuries of slumber to..."

....now I want a game of sleeping Heroes and the one streetwise modern scion...

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I am thinking less "I am Gilgamesh reborn" vs "I am Arthur/Sigurd/Temujin awoke after a centuries of slumber to..."

....now I want a game of sleeping Heroes and the one streetwise modern scion...
        Mechanically, is there a difference? Like...

Your Origin Path is "I was asleep for a LONG time", your Role Path is "Returned for the Time of Need" and the like, restart at Hero Tier, handwaved with "You were asleep for a VERY long time"

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

I've tinkered with canon a bit so Gods, particularly inactive ones for whatever reason, sometimes lose some of their Mantles who run off and become new Incarnate Scions (this can also happen when a Mantle culturally diverges enough, so might be how Benzaiten and Kisshoten ended up separating off as distinct goddesses from Saraswati and Lakshmi, for example... not that the Deva believe in the concept of "distinct goddesses").

It's happened at my table, where Loki is currently bound for the crime of killing Baldr, and if you go see that Loki, they're the hateful god who will fight the Aesir at Ragnarok, but Loki the morally ambiguous trickster-hero Mantle incarnated itself as a PC, who Thor is ecstatic to have back as an adventurer friend.

Point it, under that set up, the original Arthur could be sleeping but various interpretations of Arthur incarnating themselves at the same time as PCs.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
            I've tinkered with canon a bit so Gods, particularly inactive ones for whatever reason, sometimes lose some of their Mantles who run off and become new Incarnate Scions (this can also happen when a Mantle culturally diverges enough, so might be how Benzaiten and Kisshoten ended up separating off as distinct goddesses from Saraswati and Lakshmi, for example... not that the Deva believe in the concept of "distinct goddesses&quot.

It's happened at my table, where Loki is currently bound for the crime of killing Baldr, and if you go see that Loki, they're the hateful god who will fight the Aesir at Ragnarok, but Loki the morally ambiguous trickster-hero Mantle incarnated itself as a PC, who Thor is ecstatic to have back as an adventurer friend.

Point it, under that set up, the original Arthur could be sleeping but various interpretations of Arthur incarnating themselves at the same time as PCs.
            I really Like this idea. Glad the “good” Loki is back at your table.

Comment

Mechanically, is there a difference? Like...

Your Origin Path is "I was asleep for a LONG time", your Role Path is "Returned for the Time of Need" and the like, restart at Hero Tier, handwaved with "You were asleep for a VERY long time"

There;s more to advice on how to run something than mechanics..some advice on how to run someone who is out of time in general seems useful?

Comment

So in a slightly related topic I'm running a Scion game right now and one of my players is rolling with the concept of "King Arthur Reborn" my plan is to have his ascent to demigod status involve claiming Excalibur since that is such a big part of the King Arthur panoply. Im having trouble however coming up with fair stats for the sword that feel sufficiently epic while keeping this player in line with the rest of the Band.

Comment

Well Excalibur is a form of the lighting weapon. The name means gift of the dark goddess, and in the stories of the Celtic people faerie women associated with water and fog give weapons called "the sword of light" or diamond spears if they're Breton. So assume that Excalibur is heavily linked to the Sky Purview. Darkness and healing powers fit too.

Excalibur is supposed to be able to cut through anything. So ignore armor. Remember the scabbard prevents bloodloss. You'll need to rethink trama.

Also, remember the messages on each side of the sword "take me up" and "cast me away." Anyone taking Excalibur to use for any reason is fatebound to those words.
                  Last edited by Astromancer; 09-18-2020, 10:44 PM.

Comment

The bold take would be going "Excalibur? It's an okay sword, maybe like 2 Enhancement tops. The REAL power is in the scabbard with its ability to heal wounds"

(I do not recommend actually doing this unless someone wanted to put in a sidebar noting that in many of the earlier stories, Arthur's sword wasn't actually considered that special)

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

The bold take would be going "Excalibur? It's an okay sword, maybe like 2 Enhancement tops. The REAL power is in the scabbard with its ability to heal wounds"

(I do not recommend actually doing this unless someone wanted to put in a sidebar noting that in many of the earlier stories, Arthur's sword wasn't actually considered that special)
                      Wasn’t the scabbard stolen early on by Morgan le Fay?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post

Wasn’t the scabbard stolen early on by Morgan le Fay?
                        Yes. So a quest to recover the scabbard might be a good adventure.

Comment

I'd go with the multiple swords take. Caliburn (the steel cutter) was a very high quality non magical sword Merlin placed in a stone and anvil (the whole thing looked like a war memorial). Excalibur was a potent relic loaned to Arthur by the Caliach Burh. Other swords could be tossed into the mix.

Comment

I’ve always felt that the sword in the stone shattered during one of Arthur’s early battles and the Lady of the Lake gave him Excalibur to replace it. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                              I’ve always felt that the sword in the stone shattered during one of Arthur’s early battles and the Lady of the Lake gave him Excalibur to replace it. What do you guys think?
                              The stories I've read simply assumed Arthur had more than one sword (as would be normal for a king). But your version can work too.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

The stories I've read simply assumed Arthur had more than one sword (as would be normal for a king). But your version can work too.
                                For a king AND for a Witcher... *Nudge nudge* *wink wink*

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
                                X