No announcement yet.

'Once and Future' Speculations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all, sorry for ressurecting an almost one year forsaken post but I really was wondering about this title today. So, here we go...

My hopes for this book would be about not exactly "mythology" as we know, but about actual fairy/folk tales. Grimm brothers, Esop and Lafontaine stuff, Momotaro, even more modern urban legends (Blood Mary, Kuchisake-onna, etc.) and how would they interact with Scion's World. And of course, Arthurian material would be awesome.

Modern interpretations of classic stories like Snow White, Red Hood, Beauty and Beast...

But yes, if any writer could answer at least what this book is about would be great too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
      First of all, sorry for ressurecting an almost one year forsaken post but I really was wondering about this title today. So, here we go...

My hopes for this book would be about not exactly "mythology" as we know, but about actual fairy/folk tales. Grimm brothers, Esop and Lafontaine stuff, Momotaro, even more modern urban legends (Blood Mary, Kuchisake-onna, etc.) and how would they interact with Scion's World. And of course, Arthurian material would be awesome.

Modern interpretations of classic stories like Snow White, Red Hood, Beauty and Beast...

But yes, if any writer could answer at least what this book is about would be great too.
      Once and Future is specifically about using Scion for Arthurian myth (with the Welsh Pantheon for broader context). A book on fairy tales and broader folklore would definitely be interesting, but it’s not what this is.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Once and Future is specifically about using Scion for Arthurian myth (with the Welsh Pantheon for broader context). A book on fairy tales and broader folklore would definitely be interesting, but it’s not what this is.
        Thanks! And yes, it's a buy for me.

Comment

The Grimm stories would make an interesting Storypath Nexus suppliment.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
            The Grimm stories would make an interesting Storypath Nexus suppliment.

I was seriously thinking about make a supplement like this, with "character estereotypes" of fairy tales acting mechanically as Gods (The Great Predator = Big Bad Wolf, The Giant from the Giant and the Tailor, etc.; The Charming Prince = Any story with a no-psycopath prince, actually).

Is it a good idea? Yes. I have the inspiration and necessary basis for this job? Far from it. So, another idea to the fridge.

Comment

If a Fables Pantheon ever gets introduced, I'd like it to take a cue from Dragon/Masks of the Mythos and replace Legend with something representing how they're less something that people believe to be real and more something that people understand to be symbols of deeper truths. You could use this “Legend alternative” to give Fables a different dynamic than Gods have, maybe making them more dependent on humanity and making Fate-Binding more crucial to their existence.

Or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                If a Fables Pantheon ever gets introduced, I'd like it to take a cue from Dragon/Masks of the Mythos and replace Legend with something representing how they're less something that people believe to be real and more something that people understand to be symbols of deeper truths. You could use this “Legend alternative” to give Fables a different dynamic than Gods have, maybe making them more dependent on humanity and making Fate-Binding more crucial to their existence.

Or not.
                It looks more like a PSP to me. To access the "truth" of your story and apply it to the world. If you are a Scion of the Bad Wolf, you look menacing, you get extra dice in combat, etc. If you are a Scion of the Sage Man in the Mountain, you help the true hero of the story, and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by Hayashi View Post

It looks more like a PSP to me. To access the "truth" of your story and apply it to the world. If you are a Scion of the Bad Wolf, you look menacing, you get extra dice in combat, etc. If you are a Scion of the Sage Man in the Mountain, you help the true hero of the story, and so on...
                  It could just be called Folklore or Fable as the non-Legend stat. Though I'd love to see more in the fables form.

I'm just happy we are getting the Arthurian myth info and Welsh pantheon! Being able to play with the myths will be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimangel53 View Post
                    I'm just happy we are getting the Arthurian myth info and Welsh pantheon! Being able to play with the myths will be fun.
                    I'm pleased with my work on the Welsh pantheon. I hope you enjoy it, too.

Scion 2E Freelancer: Origin; Hero; Demigod; God; Mythical Denizens; Mysteries of the World; Saints & Monsters; No Gods, No Masters; Once & Future, Realms of Magic & Mystery

Comment

Originally posted by Grimangel53 View Post

It could just be called Folklore or Fable as the non-Legend stat. Though I'd love to see more in the fables form.
                      I would use it as a Virtue system. Like, for the "Fable" pantheon, their virtues would be Reality and Meaning. Like, your character decides to value more what/who they are in the real world (a mere and mundane clerk, doctor, actor, professor, mechanic, etc.) against what their myths actually mean (princess, witch, transformed frog, the beast, wise king, etc.). A Saint of this pantheon would be someone that gone too far in this alternate reality and totally believes they are "this certain character from the fable". Or someone that is absolutelly grounded in reality and physical things. No metaphors and magic stuff.

Yes, this is Changeling: The Dreaming a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoffrey View Post

I'm pleased with my work on the Welsh pantheon. I hope you enjoy it, too.
                        I'm very much looking forward to it. One of the reasons I've enjoyed the second edition Scion stuff is finally getting to see more of the various Celtic pantheons as opposed to having them all mashed up into a single group the way they so often get portrayed.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                        X