X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyrdhamster
    started a topic 'Once and Future' Speculations

'Once and Future' Speculations

By today Monady Meeting Notes, there is new Scion 2E book in pipeline - enigmatic Once and Future

Do you have any speculations what it will be about?

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Geoffrey View Post

I'm pleased with my work on the Welsh pantheon. I hope you enjoy it, too.
    I'm very much looking forward to it. One of the reasons I've enjoyed the second edition Scion stuff is finally getting to see more of the various Celtic pantheons as opposed to having them all mashed up into a single group the way they so often get portrayed.

Leave a comment:

• Hayashi
    replied
    Originally posted by Grimangel53 View Post

It could just be called Folklore or Fable as the non-Legend stat. Though I'd love to see more in the fables form.
    I would use it as a Virtue system. Like, for the "Fable" pantheon, their virtues would be Reality and Meaning. Like, your character decides to value more what/who they are in the real world (a mere and mundane clerk, doctor, actor, professor, mechanic, etc.) against what their myths actually mean (princess, witch, transformed frog, the beast, wise king, etc.). A Saint of this pantheon would be someone that gone too far in this alternate reality and totally believes they are "this certain character from the fable". Or someone that is absolutelly grounded in reality and physical things. No metaphors and magic stuff.

Yes, this is Changeling: The Dreaming a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Geoffrey
    replied
    I'm just happy we are getting the Arthurian myth info and Welsh pantheon! Being able to play with the myths will be fun.
    I'm pleased with my work on the Welsh pantheon. I hope you enjoy it, too.

Leave a comment:

• Grimangel53
    replied
    Originally posted by Hayashi View Post

It looks more like a PSP to me. To access the "truth" of your story and apply it to the world. If you are a Scion of the Bad Wolf, you look menacing, you get extra dice in combat, etc. If you are a Scion of the Sage Man in the Mountain, you help the true hero of the story, and so on...
    It could just be called Folklore or Fable as the non-Legend stat. Though I'd love to see more in the fables form.

I'm just happy we are getting the Arthurian myth info and Welsh pantheon! Being able to play with the myths will be fun.

Leave a comment:

• Hayashi
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    If a Fables Pantheon ever gets introduced, I'd like it to take a cue from Dragon/Masks of the Mythos and replace Legend with something representing how they're less something that people believe to be real and more something that people understand to be symbols of deeper truths. You could use this “Legend alternative” to give Fables a different dynamic than Gods have, maybe making them more dependent on humanity and making Fate-Binding more crucial to their existence.

Or not.
    It looks more like a PSP to me. To access the "truth" of your story and apply it to the world. If you are a Scion of the Bad Wolf, you look menacing, you get extra dice in combat, etc. If you are a Scion of the Sage Man in the Mountain, you help the true hero of the story, and so on...

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    If a Fables Pantheon ever gets introduced, I'd like it to take a cue from Dragon/Masks of the Mythos and replace Legend with something representing how they're less something that people believe to be real and more something that people understand to be symbols of deeper truths. You could use this “Legend alternative” to give Fables a different dynamic than Gods have, maybe making them more dependent on humanity and making Fate-Binding more crucial to their existence.

Or not.

Leave a comment:

• Hayashi
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    The Grimm stories would make an interesting Storypath Nexus suppliment.

I was seriously thinking about make a supplement like this, with "character estereotypes" of fairy tales acting mechanically as Gods (The Great Predator = Big Bad Wolf, The Giant from the Giant and the Tailor, etc.; The Charming Prince = Any story with a no-psycopath prince, actually).

Is it a good idea? Yes. I have the inspiration and necessary basis for this job? Far from it. So, another idea to the fridge.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    The Grimm stories would make an interesting Storypath Nexus suppliment.

Leave a comment:

• Hayashi
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

Once and Future is specifically about using Scion for Arthurian myth (with the Welsh Pantheon for broader context). A book on fairy tales and broader folklore would definitely be interesting, but it’s not what this is.
    Thanks! And yes, it's a buy for me.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Hayashi View Post
    First of all, sorry for ressurecting an almost one year forsaken post but I really was wondering about this title today. So, here we go...

My hopes for this book would be about not exactly "mythology" as we know, but about actual fairy/folk tales. Grimm brothers, Esop and Lafontaine stuff, Momotaro, even more modern urban legends (Blood Mary, Kuchisake-onna, etc.) and how would they interact with Scion's World. And of course, Arthurian material would be awesome.

Modern interpretations of classic stories like Snow White, Red Hood, Beauty and Beast...

But yes, if any writer could answer at least what this book is about would be great too.
    Once and Future is specifically about using Scion for Arthurian myth (with the Welsh Pantheon for broader context). A book on fairy tales and broader folklore would definitely be interesting, but it’s not what this is.

Leave a comment:

• Hayashi
    replied
    First of all, sorry for ressurecting an almost one year forsaken post but I really was wondering about this title today. So, here we go...

My hopes for this book would be about not exactly "mythology" as we know, but about actual fairy/folk tales. Grimm brothers, Esop and Lafontaine stuff, Momotaro, even more modern urban legends (Blood Mary, Kuchisake-onna, etc.) and how would they interact with Scion's World. And of course, Arthurian material would be awesome.

Modern interpretations of classic stories like Snow White, Red Hood, Beauty and Beast...

But yes, if any writer could answer at least what this book is about would be great too.

Leave a comment:

• nalak42
    replied
    I kind of hope it covers stuff like picking up the mantles of old heroes, that or just the various legends of heroes who have "will return in the time of greatest need" as part of their legend. Kind of curious on the latter since I'm only familiar with two or three and I would enjoy seeing more.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    first, I REALLY HOPE this book includes the Welsh Pantheon. With the Arthurian Lore as is, i also want the Welsh Pantheon. I've got one character who is ready to be written up as an arthur, possibly other knights, but i'd like to see the rest of the pantheon too.
    My understanding - with the caveat that I have nothing to do with Onyx Path, Scion or the book, and that this is just the impression I've gotten from the handful of mentions of it here and there over the past year or so - is that this is supposed to be about Welsh/pre-Anglo-Saxon Britons pantheon with the Arthurian mythos as a manifestation of that. But again, that's just my outsider's impression.

I'm hoping there might be a small bit about the idea of the Tudor dynasty being a brief Welsh resurgence to prominence in Britain.

Leave a comment:

• Grimangel53
    replied
    I say two things here.

first, I REALLY HOPE this book includes the Welsh Pantheon. With the Arthurian Lore as is, i also want the Welsh Pantheon. I've got one character who is ready to be written up as an arthur, possibly other knights, but i'd like to see the rest of the pantheon too.

second, on the topic of competing myths and legends, id suggest looking at another of Kieron Gillen's works (much like the ones that helped inspire scion 2e's design initially), Once and Future.
    It's first arc is all arthurian legend, and it still has ties to it even now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X