Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Edition ascension to demigod

Hey there,

just a quick question to all fellow backers: Was it described in the preview manuscript how hero characters advance to demigod and I'm just too ... alternatively intelligent to see that or did it indeed miss?

If it's there, I'm happy with just the manuscript number and page tbh xD

Yes it’s described in The Second Call, the first step in the default apotheosis route pg 3. More generally, a Hero becomes a Demigod when they complete their first Divine Deed pg 32

Comment

Oh I'm sorry, I'd didn't specify what I was talking about.

I meant if there was something like in first edition where you get more birthrights, more epic Attributes and such. If that is not inside 2nd anymore that's cool too.

Comment

No, you don’t grow in power or anything like it was in 1e. You just gain the advantages if higher legend, like access to dominion and divinity dice.

And suddenly your birthrights start to work better.
        Last edited by Mateus Luz; 10-01-2020, 09:13 AM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Ah, that's why I didn't find what I was looking for xD I was too focused on what I know from 1st edition.
          Thanks

Comment

I wonder at what level you'll stop aging? It wasn't clearly stated in the first edition. The ability to avoid aging was in the God book but the description of the ability seemed to suggest that it should have been taken at a lower level.

Comment

When you became a god you gain immortality, and it was the same for 1e. The knack for stop aging was described in God and it said a god don’t need it, but it could be taken before, actually any knack that had no requisites could be taken at hero level, including this one.

my understanding:

Heroes age as mortals they are. There are things that keep mortal alive for long times, like golden apples, the will of gods and herbal treatments (check the Bard in the manuscript, he is a Saint), but it’s not the rule.

Demigod is kind of temporary thing, if you try to stay a demigod for too long your body is destroyed by the ichor in it, so I guess you don’t stop aging as demigod, while you can probably be kept alive for ever using the same sources as other mortals.

Comment

Chapter 3 notes that while you don't get a shiny new Second Visitation, the Birthrights you DO have get bonus powers.

And I believe you get things like "Extra Bruised health level"

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Yeah defense is more powerful, you’re in general harder to meaningfully hurt, you now have catastrophic successes and mortal failures and divinity dice, and of course all your Birthrights (except Guide, probably because they don’t scale with dots in the same way other Birthrights do) give you more bang for you buck

Comment

I'd take stopping ageing very flexibly, because it doesn't affect most games and thus is a crappy thing to charge xp or a slot that could be used for something else for from a player-pov, despite how awesome it is in-universe. Generally Demigods don't die of Old Age, so it doesn't come up. If i needed to make a ruling I'd say that at Demigod Legend ageing noticeably slows, but does not stop, and Demigods have lived well over mortal lifetimes before being killed and/or achieving apotheosis. But exactly how long they'd have before old age really caught up with them is speculative. Those who do take on the appearance of old age do not seem to suffer and physical hinderances for it.
                    Last edited by glamourweaver; 10-01-2020, 01:08 PM.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Honestly I’d say that if a player wants to be Immortal at chargen even at Origin, I’d let them. Immortality isn’t really gonna come up much in mechanics and there are dozens of forms of immortality in mythology

Comment

I would ignore any age effects during an story or even in long therm chronicle. As glamourweaver said, it’s irrelevant to the story in general to worth XP spending.

But they are not immortal, and many of the heroes and demigods adventures involve looking for immortality. In that case immortality can be achieved using one of many myths of eternal life, it can be one of the hero deeds, or what the demigod is looking for in the underworld or mortality is the bound the demigod is breaking in the parting.

It can be the entire theme of a chronicle...

Comment

Originally posted by Magicjohnny View Post
                          Honestly I’d say that if a player wants to be Immortal at chargen even at Origin, I’d let them. Immortality isn’t really gonna come up much in mechanics and there are dozens of forms of immortality in mythology
                          I wouldn't handwave it at Origin (unless maybe for specific Denizen Paths), since as Mateus notes, LOOKING for immortality is kind of a huge deal in myth, and worthy of a Deed. But with regard to the not ageing (as opposed to unkillable) variety, I agree it doesn't needs special mechanics.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Working...
                          X