[Companion] Teros of Atlantis – Cosmology

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Companion] Teros of Atlantis – Cosmology

I want to add Atlantis Pantheon from Mysteries of the WorldScion 2E Companion to my game world. But I found the MotW description a bit lacking in Cosmology section. I understand it’s ‘canon-not-canon’ and Teros are more like example how to create your own Pantheons – but still, I need something more substantial. This topic is for that. It’s ‘fanon’ stuff, but let’s expand Cosmology for Teros of Atlantis!

Prelude: Teros came from Great Void – and they return to it. I plan the game where Teros are returning on Earth from great depths of cosmos. Atlanteans are not from the deapths of oceans – they are from depths of space!

Overworld – Lone Altantean colony in far corners of Great Void, on other edge of cosmos?

Midrealms – ?

Underworld – Great Void of unshaped chaos where souls go after death. It’s mystical reflection of reality based vacuum of space, i.e. our real life cosmos, the universe.

Axes Mundi – Some sort of trans hyperspace- or warp-like subrealm, that let you transport over Great Void?

Terra Incognita – Our real world Atlantis stations places locations, that somehow are related to Overworld? Like Thera (Santorini), Cyprys Basin, Berhmuda Triangle?

Hypothesized locations of Atlantis in the Mediterranean

Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-22-2020, 01:25 PM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

On your version of the Bermuda Triangle, I would make it like a research site with possibilty of maybe a lost relic or two, maybe the research of titans and possible titan spawns have overrun the facility and the storms and strange things that happen are security measures or a SOS.

Comment

Interesting little fact - by the myths, Atlantis was having contacts with Egypt. So some interesting clues can be putted in Netjer Pantheon relations? 'Most theories of the placement of Atlantis center on the Mediterranean, influenced largely by the geographical location of Egypt from which the story allegedly is derived.' Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locati...reece_to_Spain

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I doubt that entire Wikipedia page, because people who try to go "Well what location was Plato referring to when he mentioned Atlantis" are missing the entire point of what Plato was talking about. Plato literally made up Atlantis as a hypothetical. Going "So was he referring to an existing place?" is missing the point.

Atlantis was an allegory. It was an example of a decadent, corrupt, over-indulgent city that Plato, and to stress this, made up. So set Atlantis wherever. It doesn't matter.

Especially not in the setting of Scion, as Atlantis is folded up within itself by God-Tech, so it's technically barely located in the World.

More helpfully: The Teros, by the setup of the writeup in the game, have very little in the way of relationships with the other Pantheons, because a lot of Atlantis keeps to itself.

Badarus and Hesbon, of the Teros, would likely have the most outside contacts, but I would say that in terms of "What do the Teros think of this other Pantheon", the answer is by and large "They do so as little as they can get away with. The Teros mostly look after their people, who are content on Atlantis. Most of them seem to view the other Pantheons with minor curiosity to dispassionate disinterest. Is this ironclad or absolute? Hell no. Badarus probably exchanges letters with some other Gods. Hesbon probably enjoys spending more time with various Wild Gods than her fellow Teros, Skaft excluded.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          I doubt that entire Wikipedia page, because people who try to go "Well what location was Plato referring to when he mentioned Atlantis" are missing the entire point of what Plato was talking about. Plato literally made up Atlantis as a hypothetical. Going "So was he referring to an existing place?" is missing the point.

Atlantis was an allegory. It was an example of a decadent, corrupt, over-indulgent city that Plato, and to stress this, made up. So set Atlantis wherever. It doesn't matter.

Especially not in the setting of Scion, as Atlantis is folded up within itself by God-Tech, so it's technically barely located in the World.

More helpfully: The Teros, by the setup of the writeup in the game, have very little in the way of relationships with the other Pantheons, because a lot of Atlantis keeps to itself.

Badarus and Hesbon, of the Teros, would likely have the most outside contacts, but I would say that in terms of "What do the Teros think of this other Pantheon", the answer is by and large "They do so as little as they can get away with. The Teros mostly look after their people, who are content on Atlantis. Most of them seem to view the other Pantheons with minor curiosity to dispassionate disinterest. Is this ironclad or absolute? Hell no. Badarus probably exchanges letters with some other Gods. Hesbon probably enjoys spending more time with various Wild Gods than her fellow Teros, Skaft excluded.
          While it is true that Atlantis is a work of fiction which no one seems to have believed to be true before the 19th century (the medievals sometimes wrote as if they believed Atlantis to be true, but that seems to have been a game). But that said, one can go to Plato's text for ideas. Plato, in his fiction, said Solon was told about Atlantis by Egyptian priests. So links between the gods of Atlantis and Egypt makes sense within the original story.

Myself I think the gods of the island of Rhodes would make excellent models for the gods of Atlantis. I've read more than one scholar who has said that Plato likely based Atlantis on the fate of those gods in Greek myth. I need to post a link, so I need to leave and return.

Comment

The word I couldn't remember was Telchines. They were sea gods, smiths, and wizards. They were condemned by the Gods of Olympus. In many ways, their fate parallels Plato's allegory. Of course, a city that was hit with Earthquake subsidence, and whose sunken ruins were a tourist attraction we know Plato visited, and another city destroyed by a Moraine dam flood (like the Johnstown Flood but without human responsibility for the horror and death), were also important influences.

Comment

About Theros - Netjer realtionship - I was thinking maybe that Netjer, described as being 'one of oldest Pantheons' would have some esoteric memories still on Earth, before the Great Escape.

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                The word I couldn't remember was Telchines. They were sea gods, smiths, and wizards. They were condemned by the Gods of Olympus. In many ways, their fate parallels Plato's allegory. Of course, a city that was hit with Earthquake subsidence, and whose sunken ruins were a tourist attraction we know Plato visited, and another city destroyed by a Moraine dam flood (like the Johnstown Flood but without human responsibility for the horror and death), were also important influences.
                This is actually really brilliant to me. Going to have to look more details up on this. (I mean besides Wikipedia because while a nice starting point I kind of want more.) But yeah, looking at this as a potential design for Atlantis seems really cool.

Oh, as a quick question because the wiki is confusing - are the Telchines the name of the gods or are they the name of the mortal human culture that inhabited the region, or some combination.
                Last edited by LordHeru; 10-28-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

I absolutely agree. Atlantis in the Timaeus and the Critias was an allegory, the opposite of the perfect philosopher-monarchy proposed in the Republic. (This I actually learned from a philosophy class I took in academic summer camp in high school.)

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Originally posted by LordHeru View Post

This is actually really brilliant to me. Going to have to look more details up on this. (I mean besides Wikipedia because while a nice starting point I kind of want more.) But yeah, looking at this as a potential design for Atlantis seems really cool.

Oh, as a quick question because the wiki is confusing - are the Telchines the name of the gods or are they the name of the mortal human culture that inhabited the region, or some combination.
                    The Telchines are the gods. They were the gods of the people of the island of Rhodes.

Comment

If we're talking about old gods and ignoring the instances of Gods who by their Legend predate all history... I believe the Anunna would have been actively worshipped around the time when Atlantis was supposedly at its height. So Ishtar or Marduk may remember an island of miracle metals and strange magic, but one day it just vanished. Where it went? Even they cannot say.

But that's not about THEM, so let's focus on something more awesome. Like them.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Working...
                      X