Running Scion Online - Roll20 vs Astral vs Other

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Scion Online - Roll20 vs Astral vs Other

I plan to run Scion game in coming weeks on Discord. However, from my previous RPG online experience, action ( and combat) heavy games are best supported by the VTTRPG platforms. So question is simple - What online RPG platform is best for Scion? I mention Roll20 and Astral as those are seems most supported by the Onyx Path by products, in general.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-12-2020, 12:50 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I run Scion with a dicebot on Discord. If you want to be elaborate you should probably make a dedicated server with subchannels for IC, OOC, and using things like Channel Descriptions to keep track of the Momentum.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

There is a character sheet template on Roll20 for Scion 2e. I haven't used it. So I can't speak to how good it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
        There is a character sheet template on Roll20 for Scion 2e. I haven't used it. So I can't speak to how good it is.
        It's pretty good and gives you plenty of room to write down and contain your Birthrights / Purviews as well as other info about your character. I prefer it to the official pen and paper character sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post
          It's pretty good and gives you plenty of room to write down and contain your Birthrights / Purviews as well as other info about your character. I prefer it to the official pen and paper character sheets.
          Does it also contains Antagonists templates? I had the problem in running CoD on Roll20 that I could not written enemies with different stats than PCs. Needed to do my own homebrew template then...
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-23-2020, 11:58 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Since the antagonist stat blocks are pretty small, you could use the GM notes section on a token to list the pools and powers. You wouldn't have the click to roll functionality of a template, but it's a workaround.

Comment

Roll20 has been great for centralising player's character sheets and those rare occasions when I want to actually map something, but I do tend to use it alongside a word doc with everything else (e.g. antagonists) in. Also we use skype instead of the built-in video chat. But yeah, there's plenty of GM notes fields or you could make handouts that are only visible to you. Also, the sheets do 10-again automatically but if you're rolling raw in the chat remember the exclamation mark /r {Xd10!}>8

Comment

We play Scion on Roll20 for the dice, sheets and handouts.

Also for some drawing and references.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

My big problem with Roll20 is it doesn't allow you to say that you are "Playing" Scion, so you can't advertise your game very well.
                  Last edited by Geomancer; 10-30-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Are there in Scion something like Speed trait, like is in CoD? I ask, because when using Roll20 and similar platforms maps, I need to decide on shape and scale of 1 movement unit on map.
                    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-12-2020, 12:51 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      Are there in Scion something like Speed trait, like is in CoD? I ask, because when using Roll20 and similar platforms maps, I need to decide on shape and scale of 1 movement unit on map.

No, there is no such thing.

If you decide that a character will have difficulty getting to a slightly distant place and doing something else in one round then you can have them do a Mixed Action with Athletics + Dexterity or Might, or just let them skip a combat round or two while they sprint towards where they must be.

Comment

Are there Range Bands in Scion? Maybe limit working distance in round to Short or Medium one then? < Looks into his books > Oh, here it is...

So if Short is 3 to 30 meters - I suspect making unit scale as to 1 meter and approximate to CoD standard of 10 m Speed per turn for character will be fine. Rolling Athletics + Dexterity or Might will get double on that, probably.

LGBT+ through Ages
                        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

The closest thing to a speed trait is Speed Scale. In Hero, that would probably involve a Boon or invoking your legend as the fastest person alive, or whatever your title might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
                            The closest thing to a speed trait is Speed Scale.
                            Oh, well, I just hack it then for use to play on Roll20 maps. Just giving Speed 10 for all characters not pointed as having different Speed than humans. Then giving Speed Scale would be like normal Speed x 2 or x 3, between Scale points.

LGBT+ through Ages
                            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I would (and always do) discourage using exact meterage for Scion. I honestly wouldn't recommend using a battle grid of any sort.

Like, example: What is 'Short range' for a human?

Now, what's 'Short range' for a giant?

See?

Don't think of Short Range as '3-30 meters', think of Short Range as 'Too far to stab immediately, but if I lunge and THEN stab I can do it'

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Working...
                              X