Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A heroes campaign for the New England region. Running an Amusement Park.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A heroes campaign for the New England region. Running an Amusement Park.

The idea may sound odd, but the Pantheons of the Northeastern USA are supposed to be very ready to engage the modern world and pragmatically innovative, especially the Manitou. So, the idea is that a Demigod of another pantheon (I haven't decided which other pantheon but the Demigod is strong in Prosperity and Luck) gives an impoverished band of Native Americans living on or near the shores of Lake Champlain an amusement park. The park was built on land stolen from the ancestors of this band, and the Demigod loves to return long lost or stolen property to the rightful owners.

The PCs are a group of scions, heroes just starting out, tasked with making the Park a success in several ways...

A) A financial success to restore self-sufficiency to those the land was stolen from.

B) Make it a way to teach native culture and mythology to the general public without degrading or oversimplifying these things.

C) Prevent traditionalist purists from being hyper-offended at the idea of the local band running an amusement park.

D) Defend the park from enemies of all kinds.

The Park in Question is called Storybook Land and it is on the shores of Lake Champlain. The park is in good physical condition but it's themed in terms of the most commonly known Fairy Tales in America with great care to avoid offending Disney's copywrite lawyers.

So, what ideas would you guys add?

Note: If you hate the whole thing, please don't post.

Don’t have a god from another pantheon give the park to the band. That’s too much like a white savior thing. Make it one of the Manitou gods.

Don’t make it European fairy tales like Disneyland. Why would the Manitou care about preserving the fairy tales of the people who conquered them? Use authentic Iroquois/Algonquin myths and legends.

That being said, I think B is a great idea for a band of Manitou Scions. It would make a pretty cool home base for your band.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
      Don’t have a god from another pantheon give the park to the band. That’s too much like a white savior thing. Make it one of the Manitou gods.

Don’t make it European fairy tales like Disneyland. Why would the Manitou care about preserving the fairy tales of the people who conquered them? Use authentic Iroquois/Algonquin myths and legends.

That being said, I think B is a great idea for a band of Manitou Scions. It would make a pretty cool home base for your band.
      The European fairy tales theme and design is a problem for the PCs to overcome.

As to the giver, perhaps they are from another Native American pantheon.

Comment

Another way to avoid the White Savior stereotype is to not make the patron white. Celestial Bureaucracy, Kami, Orisha, etc. are all choices that could work in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
          Another way to avoid the White Savior stereotype is to not make the patron white. Celestial Bureaucracy, Kami, Orisha, etc. are all choices that could work in that respect.
          Great idea.

“No one holds command over me. No man, no god, no Prince. Call your damn Hunt. We shall see who I drag screaming down to hell with me.” The last Ahrimane says this when Mithras calls a Blood Hunt against her. She/her (I saw the Chief Technology Officer for a big company do this so I guess I’ll do it too).

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            The giver simply returned stolen property. An act of decency. Since when is decency a violation of others? Anyone who came into procession of long ago stolen property (in this case the lakeside land the park is built on) would, if they met a basic standard of decency, return said property to the rightful owners. Saying the Giver, or more aptly the Restorer is a "White Savior" seems exaggerated. More like I'm being accused of immorality than discussing ideas for a game.

Let's drop the subject. And move on to other aspects of the setting.

Comment

Try this for a problem. The PCs and an ally have the puppet theater running. The puppets are lovely interpretations of Native American art and culturally accurate depictions of Mythic and folkloric beings from local legend. The puppeteers and musicians are from the local band. The stories performed are based on local myths and legends and representative of both their culture's storytelling style and sense of humor. And they are a hit.

Sure, the puppet theater is in a very eurocentric looking storybook castle. But they don't have the cash to change that yet.

A far more serious problem is that some of the creatures depicted in the plays want to see them. These creatures are known to be easily offended and very violent.

Art meets diplomacy.

Comment

An infamous Scion of Huehuecoyotl (or any other god of orgies, drunkenness and partying), who may or may not actually be a Titanspawn in disguise, visits the park together with a cult of revelers. Soon they spread chaos and disorder with their insane partying and the number of visitors dwindle quickly. Of course the cops are called, but using Trickster Knacks and the different Purviews the Scion constantly shifts blame around, complicates and stalls any kind of action by the authorities.

It is now up to the PCs themselves to take care of this problem. They must try to find out why this Scion is so bent on ruining their amusement park and stop them, hopefully without angering any gods in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post
                  An infamous Scion of Huehuecoyotl (or any other god of orgies, drunkenness and partying), who may or may not actually be a Titanspawn in disguise, visits the park together with a cult of revelers. Soon they spread chaos and disorder with their insane partying and the number of visitors dwindle quickly. Of course the cops are called, but using Trickster Knacks and the different Purviews the Scion constantly shifts blame around, complicates and stalls any kind of action by the authorities.

It is now up to the PCs themselves to take care of this problem. They must try to find out why this Scion is so bent on ruining their amusement park and stop them, hopefully without angering any gods in the process.
                  Good idea. Even without paranormal powers the party hardy crowd are a threat to any family park.

Comment

No one wants their makeout session on the Ferris Wheel disturbed by drunken revelers 😊

Seriously. As long as you don’t make it too Eurocentric this could be a great home base for a Manitou band.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
                      No one wants their makeout session on the Ferris Wheel disturbed by drunken revelers 😊

Seriously. As long as you don’t make it too Eurocentric this could be a great home base for a Manitou band.
                      But undoing the eurocentristy of the park is one of the problems. To start with, they've got the problem of creating a look for the park which isn't a rehash of "cigar store Indian" cliches. Not an easy problem. Plus the expense of massive rebuilding.

Comment

Why did you choose Lake Champlain? Does it have a special significance for the story?

Comment

Oh I simply think it's a beautiful lake. But older amusement parks tended to be built near lakes. Lake Champlain is a very large lake and one of America's most beautiful lakes. It's known as a vacation area, and it's close, relatively, to New York, Boston, Montreal, Providence, and other interesting places.

It's just a useful choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                            Oh I simply think it's a beautiful lake. But older amusement parks tended to be built near lakes. Lake Champlain is a very large lake and one of America's most beautiful lakes. It's known as a vacation area, and it's close, relatively, to New York, Boston, Montreal, Providence, and other interesting places.

It's just a useful choice.
                            Would there be Denizens and other things inside the lake? Mermaids? Underwater cave? Miraculous healing water?

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post

Would there be Denizens and other things inside the lake? Mermaids? Underwater cave? Miraculous healing water?
                              Of course. These things are part of Native American myth too.

Comment

Working...
                              X