[2E] How long each Tier should take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyrdhamster
    started a topic [2E] How long each Tier should take?

[2E] How long each Tier should take?

For example, how many sessions would take Origin characters to become Hero level ones? At minimum?

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    And so, each Heroes Long Term Deed should be next Hero Journey point, yes? So Call Deed on Legend 1, Resisting Deed on Legend 2, Embrace Deed on Legend 3 and Return Deed at Legend 4, yes?
    I would move away from the long and short deeds being needed to gain legend, much like what happen in Demigod. Deeds would be more linked to the "mortal" experience and less to the legend. Legend would be linked only to the steps (to name different from band deeds).

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    And so, each Heroes Long Term Deed should be next Hero Journey point, yes? So Call Deed on Legend 1, Resisting Deed on Legend 2, Embrace Deed on Legend 3 and Return Deed at Legend 4, yes?

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    It’s far from structured by now, but the general idea is you gain 4 Legend in the long Hero’s Journey instead of individual deeds.

The first legend is the call of adventure, that can be a visitation, or can be anything else that fits the concept.

The second legend would be related to resisting temptations or to resisting the fact your fate is being the Hero

The third is the apex of the Journey, when the Hero embrace fate and changes how he sees the world and how the world sees the Hero (after that heroes gain omens, what fits the case perfectly)

The last Hero legend is about returning to the known world and facing the results of your journey, it may be the Hero becoming the leader of their community, or the Hero understanding they don’t belong to the community anymore.

It would also open the door to the Demigod Circle, with a Hero going after immortality after not fitting in mundane society, or with a new threat that surges and force them to the circle, but now on a larger scale, as even their powers as leader of community and hero of the world is not enough to defeat.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Myself, I got the same problems with Long Term Aspirations in CoD. So in Scion, as SG, when running on Discord, I asked players to make separate channel for showing most important info about Band characters - and made explicitly separate posts for each of them Deeds. It nicely points to Short, Long and Band Deeds - so I easily can see always what are Deeds for them, taking them in mind. I also all the time have their Long Term Deeds in my mind - one of character wants to have 'make a heist of the century' and other one 'discover truth about my parents'. So I add them as middle plot points, hanging in the game world, only to uncover by the players in good time.

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
    Another idea I have is to make Campbell Hero Journey (I know people here don’t like him, but it’s a base for picking steps) to create the sequence of Legend steps, much like a Demogod have their own steps, heroes could have.
    So slicing 'One Grand Character Goal' in to few smaller Long Term Deeds then, yes?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-18-2021, 03:37 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Long term aspirations are the hard issue I think can make everything harder. My first long term aspiration for Scion was to reach a Terra Incógnita, the problem is, it was not really the SG plan to take us to any one, and probably not many of them are at Legend 1 Heroes reach... so it can be disappointing. My suggestion is you should discuss long term aspirations with your local Fate representative (GM) as fate can be really annoying in Scion if you try to go against it, and a little coordination of grand objectives can be interesting for the group to level faster (of that is the objective).

Another idea I have is to make Campbell Hero Journey (I know people here don’t like him, but it’s a base for picking steps) to create the sequence of Legend steps, much like a Demogod have their own steps, heroes could have.

Leave a comment:

• TheStray7
    replied
    Important to note that the entire Band has to be ready to raise their Legend at once -- everyone's Legend goes up at the same time. Players are likely to complete multiple Short-Term Deeds and perhaps Long-Term Deeds before a Band Deed is finished, but if a player hasn't completed a Long Term Deed by the time the Band Deed is accomplished, everyone has to wait until those players complete a set. This might be problematic if a player has chosen a Long-Term deed with the expectation that it's a Series-long goal -- you'll want to encourage multi-step Deeds if there's a throughline a character wants to follow for the entire life of the character. (I mention this because I had this issue with Long-Term Aspirations in CoD)

If you want a good benchmark for time, check out the Time Section in the Three Areas of Action heading of the Origin book, page 71.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Long story short, this is not a thing you can just math away. It really depends on how you and your group plays it.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Every dot in legend costs 1 short term, 1 long term and 1 band deed.

It can be done in 1 session, but usually it’s an entire story that may take longer. Honestly, Origin tier worth about the same as 1 dot of legend + visitation from patron god (the visitation itself is not more than a scene for each character, if happen durring play).

My group took 8 sessions (I think, I was not part of the group when they started) to get to Legend 1 and we are currently between session 3 and 4 of Legend 1.

Leave a comment:

• Geoffrey
    replied
    Complete one Short-term Deed, one Long-term Deed, and one Band Deed to increase in Legend. This makes calculating the minimum number of sessions difficult.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    What is calculation by Deeds then? Cause my book-fu is weak. 😔

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    Legend doesn't cost XP to raise. It goes up based on Deeds.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
    There is no mechanical requirements for moving from Origin to Hero. Scions just need to get their Visitations to activate their divine status.
    No need to buy by XP the Legend 1 trait to come to Hero?

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    The only thing that even remotely limits how long to spend at Origin level is wanting to avoid character starting to get same-y. Origin level characters don't have a lot of spend XP on, so in a longer game following the recommended XP rates, you're probably going to want to get to Hero before that's an issue.

-------

There is no mechanical requirements for moving from Origin to Hero. Scions just need to get their Visitations to activate their divine status.
    Last edited by Heavy Arms; 10-28-2020, 03:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    I directly mean minimum math on each Tier - all I need for mechanical next change of Tiers is only coming from Legend 0 till Legend 1 to change from Origin to Hero?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 10-28-2020, 03:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X