Netflix ‘Blood of Zeus’ as Scion chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix ‘Blood of Zeus’ as Scion chronicle

I started to watch Netflix animation series ‘Blood of Zeus’ ( BoZ in short ), similar to Castlevania, but this time based on Greek Mythology. Plot is centered on next child of Zeus. It’s generally looks like screenwriters made new myth. And it’s cool.

The best part for Scion are monsters. Graphics of monsters and gods are really good here. ( Even if general animation has lacks of low budget now. ) Most important are images of Titans, Giants and demons in BoZ.

From Scion point of view, BoZ Titan shown as Primordial of Darkness? Then BoZ Giants looks more like proper Theoi Titans of Scion? And then, so called ‘demons’ are variant of titanspawn in BoZ setting? Do I get it right?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

BoZ Titan

BoZ Giants

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

What I remember most about the series (note, I've only seen the trailer so far) is that the hero is told they're not a bastard, they're a son of Zeus. This is memorable because I could only think of one of Zeus' kids not being a bastard.

Comment

Having only seen the trailers and heard wildly mediocre reviews from friends, I have a couple of questions for Blood of Zeus, and only one of them is relevant

Why do these generic Giants seem to have 1e's Jotunblut purview? :P

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
          Having only seen the trailers and heard wildly mediocre reviews from friends, I have a couple of questions for Blood of Zeus, and only one of them is relevant

Because it was written during 1e and they're going on the idea that with the parallels between the two myth sets the mechanics of giants should be the same? Umm *Throws a smoke bomb and scuttles off*

Comment

Originally posted by Krat05 View Post
            What I remember most about the series (note, I've only seen the trailer so far) is that the hero is told they're not a bastard, they're a son of Zeus. This is memorable because I could only think of one of Zeus' kids not being a bastard.
            I admit my assumption of that snippet was like...

"You're not a [mortal] bastard [that I had with another human]. You're a son of Zeus."

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Could you write more what Jotunblut purview in 1E meant?

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

You fed a mortal or animal your blood and they gained super strength.

Comment

Originally posted by rickayelm View Post
                  You fed a mortal or animal your blood and they gained super strength.
                  A bit more elaboration on this, it was the PSP of the Aesir in 1e. I've heard from people more familiar with the Eddas and the culture in general that:

None of the Aesir ever demonstrate the power of using their blood to turn people into super steroid thralls. In fact, feeding one's blood to animals or people would be SUPER Not Okay.

This also doesn't seem to show up as a thing that GIANTS do in Norse myth either.

And, this is more the cherry on top, but it was a power that buffed one's Followers and Creatures, in an Edition where those two Birthrights were basically useless because they were so underwhelming.

Yeah, so, 1e's Jotunblut is a bad power on the angle of "This has fuck-all to do with the alleged religion it's based on" and on the angle of being an effective power.

Comment

But, to turn a question a bit - Could 'feed the blood of Titan' be a possible way to create titanspawn? Are there some hard-coded requiremnts how titanspawn need to be created?

LGBT+ through Ages
                    LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                      But, to turn a question a bit - Could 'feed the blood of Titan' be a possible way to create titanspawn? Are there some hard-coded requiremnts how titanspawn need to be created?
                      I don't know if there are any canon answers in the book but I don't see why you couldn't make stuff like that up! A Titan-cult centered around initiations drinking the blood of Titans sounds like a cool antagonist.

Comment

Heron is told he's a bastard and is one. Zeus disguised himself as Heron's mother's husband to sleep with her. The show even points out that some of the gods are Zeus's bastards.

Having binged it, I'd be happy to help answer any additional questions.

I would have to agree it was mediocre, especially coming from the same people that did Castlevania. I think the biggest problem is that it felt rushed (or underfunded). The animation needed more time and energy, and the story really suffers from everything being compressed into such a short run. I understand you don't want to overload things, but Demeter gets reduced to "goddess that clearly thinks Hera is right because she's standing over Hera's shoulder and scowling at Zeus."

It's also very annoying that the female gods besides Hera are all basically completely shoved to the side. Demeter and Hestia, despite being equal in standing as children of Cronus, don't even speak during debates between the gods. Artemis, Athena, and Aphrodite are all present but unimportant. Dionysus is the only male god that doesn't get a word in (and the idea that he has nothing to say is pretty strange).

The show puts a lot of time into why Seraphim (the leader of the demons) does what he does, even if we as the audience know it's a bad idea. You can generally see why he'd do something even if logically he should have done something else as there's enough emotional stakes to understand him making other choices. The gods all come off as idiots since we're expected to have them all be flying off the rails because Zeus boinked another mortal woman (and the show explicitly takes place after lots of other famous demigods lived, apparently Hercules either didn't ascend to Olympus after dying, or wasn't around to give Heron some pointers on how to navigate all this).

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post

I don't know if there are any canon answers in the book but I don't see why you couldn't make stuff like that up! A Titan-cult centered around initiations drinking the blood of Titans sounds like a cool antagonist.
                        The giant's blood in the series seem to have qualities that bends a bit towards ichor (though the show never distinguishes between blood and ichor, and shows injured gods bleeding red) in that it's actually a dangerous substance to mortals.

What I think is an interesting, and AFAIK made up, twist is that giant's blood in this series is sort of a monster in its own right. You don't need to drink it, you just need to be exposed to it, and it will try to corrupt you (as ichor is supposed to be dangerous to mortals even by contact).

Rather than something purposeful like Jotunblut, the blood functions more as a way to make more Titanspawn even if the gods successfully defeat the Titan's and their servants by having the corpses of powerful Titanspawn be dangerous.

Comment

Heh.
                          (I'm reminded of George O'Connor's The Olympians, when Poseidon is brooding and thinking back on his existence. When remembering his son Polyphemus, the cyclops Odysseus blinded, he remarks, "My children have always been monsters." Later, when remembering Theseus and how he abandoned Ariadne and caused the suicide of his mortal father, he repeats the same line.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I haven't finished, but I'd say my issue is that the series seems to be going with this "Its the end of the time of the Gods," but it isn't stating it and I'm only getting that because Zeus talks to Ares early on how humanity is meant to inherit the world. And I just spent a bit going, "Why are you all like this?"

Like Hera implies that Zeus took her portfolio as ruler of the sky when they got married, but nothing seems to be coming of that and just I'm not getting why we're at the point it seems like Zeus and Hera are willing to end eachother and gods only know how many unrelated individuals in this one as opposed to previous instances where Hera seemed "content" to just do something horrible and probably kill the mortal reminders of her husband's wandering eye.

Comment

Am I getting it right that BoZ Giants took place of Scion Titans? As 'monstrous, evil gods' Scions fight with? Portray of BoZ Giants is good inspiration for Scion Titans gameplay?

LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
                              X