No announcement yet.

Netflix ‘Blood of Zeus’ as Scion chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. In BoZ giants are Titanspawn that are powerful enough to create their own Titanspawn.

Part of the issue seems to be that BoZ conflates two distinct forms of Titanspawn from Greek mythology.

In most versions of Greek mythology, the Giants are, well, just Giants. As in really big humanoids. The were created from the ichor spilled when Cronus defeated Uranus, though would eventually wage war on the Olympians as well. These were distinct from the great monsters born of various Titans mating.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      No. In BoZ giants are Titanspawn that are powerful enough to create their own Titanspawn.

Part of the issue seems to be that BoZ conflates two distinct forms of Titanspawn from Greek mythology.

In most versions of Greek mythology, the Giants are, well, just Giants. As in really big humanoids. The were created from the ichor spilled when Cronus defeated Uranus, though would eventually wage war on the Olympians as well. These were distinct from the great monsters born of various Titans mating.
      The Titans mating didn't create monsters, but beings variously classified as either Titans themselves (Prometheus, Atlas) or as Gods. The Giants (Gigantes) are considered sprung from Gaia via Uranos's blood (their earth-born status is important) by most accounts and children of Gaia by Tartaros according to (Pseudo-)Hyginus. In addition to being large, as you say, they are also usually said to have two serpent tails instead of legs. Do yes, they are distinct, but in ways different than what you mentioned. I hope you'll forgive me specifying that a little

Comment

On subject - Theoi family relationships chart that points what are Gods, what are Titans, Giants - and all them all.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Titan mating (not necessarily with other Titans) resulted in:

The original three Cyclopes, the Hecatoncheires, the Giants (kind of a stretch on 'mating' in a direct sense but not that uncommon in mythology), and Typhon. Echidna's got a lot more variations on her orgins, but she's at least part Titan. Typhon and Echinda made a lot of monsters together. So, yeah, Titans mating can result in monsters.

Giants having snake tails for legs is not really a "usually" thing as much as you can specify, and generally comes from later sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
            Titan mating (not necessarily with other Titans) resulted in:

The original three Cyclopes, the Hecatoncheires, the Giants (kind of a stretch on 'mating' in a direct sense but not that uncommon in mythology), and Typhon. Echidna's got a lot more variations on her orgins, but she's at least part Titan. Typhon and Echinda made a lot of monsters together. So, yeah, Titans mating can result in monsters.

Giants having snake tails for legs is not really a "usually" thing as much as you can specify, and generally comes from later sources.
            Sorry, I thought you were going by the Greek terminology in which Gaia and Uranos would be Protogenoi, not Titans. In game terminology, where Gaia and Echidna are considered Titans, yes, they are of course parents of monsters.

What constitutes "usual" can certainly be debated. The depiction of the Gigantes with their serpent feet is rare in art, probably due to artistic conventions. It is mentioned, however, with reference to older (!) sources, by both Pseudo-Apollodorus and Pausanias, for example.

Comment

It’s probably my mindset at the time, but I see Blood of Zeus much more as an Aberrant in the ancient age campaign both in visual and in the way the Novas and Aberrants, I mean, Gods and Titans, are shown.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I liked a lot of the visual character touches, but this show has forced me to adopt a new rule with Greek Myth adaptations

- Zeus and Hera should be morally on the same tier as each other

You want to vilify them to say something about rape culture and victim blaming, that is totally valid

It is also valid to explore them as flawed nuanced people

Or try to keep them morally above human judgment, where their actions are extensions of a model of moral righteousness that just happens to not correspond to our 21st century ethics - that is also valid.

What I don’t care for is Zeus getting the flawed nuanced good person treatment, while Hera’s a world burning narcissist who must be stopped at all costs.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

I'd quibble over calling Hera a narcissist in the BoZ depiction and call it arrogance. But to me the bigger problem is any mistakes she makes you could chalk up to her being caught up in an epic fit of rage at Zeus crossing the line too many times are completely undermined when it's revealed that she's known about it since before Heron was even born, and had been doing her normal passive-aggressive "I can't touch Zeus so I'll attack his bastards" thing that she does all the time in myth.

Since we still want the big action set piece at the end where the giants attack Olympus, I'd have much rather seen something like:

Hera gets the power to resurrect the giants.
                  Hera demands Zeus abdicate and Poseidon takes over as king; making it really just about her getting back at Zeus for being a cheating asshole.
                  Seraphim uses the parley between the gods as a distraction to resurrect the giants.
                  Hera tries to negotiate with the giants to maintain her alliance, but many return to defend Olympus anyway.
                  When the giants clearly have no interest in that (no need for her bungling by pissing off Poseidon too) then Hera finally abandons her efforts as destroying Olympus, the gods that stood by her, and the world, aren't worth the giants running around out of control.
                  The final battle basically unfolds the exact same way.

The series would still have a major issues with characterizations and screen time, but dropping "Zeus cheated on me so let the world burn," and having Hera humble up a bit before the end of the battle, would help make her way less stupid-evil; making her closer to Zeus's presentation (even if still not enough to meet the very appropriate standard you set glamourweaver).

Comment

Working...
                  X