Scion Q & A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scion Q & A

So I've been coming up with a number of questions regarding Scion 2e & I've decided to start a thread focusing on them. If anyone has any questions they want to ask, you can absolutely post them on this thread if you want to. The below link is attached links to what I believe is the first Scion 2e question I asked, & the link after that is for the second. Later posts will feature the questions that I've thought of since.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...ons-a-question

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...scions-virtues

So, looking through the questions I've got so far, one springs out as being ready to be asked.

Are the Lovecraft Pantheon going to be having anything in the way of Titans, & might they be considered different from the deities of the Lovecraft Pantheon?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't know as much about either Masks of the Mythos beyond it existing (mostly due to lack of interest) and I know even less about Lovecraft (again, due to lack of interest) but if you twisted my arm to guess (again, guess, as I don't know what the book will assume and this is all assumptions) I'd assume that like... In the Masks of the Mythos book, there won't be much in the way of a God/Titan Divide because most of the Lovecraft Entities range from dispassionate indifference towards humanity to outright malice.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Can Titanic Scions take Titanic Callings that are not provided by their patron Titan?

Is it possible for regular Scions to get Titanic Callings?

Comment

The rules for a Scion are that you need to inherit one (1) Calling from your Patron. So if you wanted to play a Scion of Utgard-Loki who has the Destroyer Calling, go for it.

And as you build your Legend, you can have the Callings that fit your character. Honestly I ignore the moments of "Some Pantheons may find taking these Callings a bit ominous".

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

Can Titanic Scions learn Signature Purviews? (With the assumption that they would still be limited by what pantheon their tied to).

There are some dragons among the gods & Titans, that became gods or Titans. Is it possible (or going to be possible) for a dragon to make that jump in more recent times?

When Titan Scions elevate to full divine status (past the demigod level), do they become Titans, titanspawn, of gods?

Comment

Originally posted by Krat05 View Post
              So, looking through the questions I've got so far, one springs out as being ready to be asked.

Are the Lovecraft Pantheon going to be having anything in the way of Titans, & might they be considered different from the deities of the Lovecraft Pantheon?
              Hrm...I dunno, the Elders as gods for a Scion game? Well...maybe? TBH they're not exactly what I would consider the material for a myth building Scion campaign as chosen/offspring/etc of the gods within a Heroic or Bronze genre. IMHO the Lovecraftian mythos has all the mythic dials set to Iron save Titanomachy, which I'd put at Silver or perhaps Gold if I really wanted to make my players nervous. While one could readily assign them the status of Titans, I tend to think of them more as Primordials, primarily because they're so very alien and outside of the frame of reference puny mortals can fit divinity into.

That said, them having Scions I'd say are Chosen, as those Elder Gods weren't all that up on the concept of procreation, that was something usually their spawn/minions would muck about with, or cultist subjecting some poor victim to be the receptacle of some metaphysical seed of.. But TBH, I don't see them as the sort of mythos that a Scion campaign would benefit a lot from having present.. Lovecraftian mythos is all about mortals encountering these ancient alien entities and steadily going insane as a result of realizing the shits real, or trying to figure out how to rid the world of crazed cultists intent on hastening the end of the world for whatever imagined benefit. But that's probably a narrow viewpoint based on playing/running Cthulhu games that are faithful to the books.

So in the spirit of being helpful instead of a naysayer, if I did use the Lovecraftian mythos, I'd rank them as top tier Titans who are so far out there and alien that the rest of a game world's pantheons regard as a universal enemy even more threatening their own Titans. The Devas might not give a damn if Aniwye is stinking up the Cali coastline, they'd rather keep an eye on Rangda, but the moment minions of Nyarlathotep or old Yoggy start to show, they dispatch any and all they can to buddy up with any other Scions and investigate with extreme prejudice.

Scion's of Lovecraftian gods should also (IMHO at least) be a little out there, you know? Like...they got a knack that lets them have a 12 foot tentacle tongue complete with sucker pods and the ability to ambulate through ala city Spiderman style, and oh yeah, knock the bejesus out of you. Or they they can speak in "tongues" revealing mind breaking truths that causes a listener's sanity to crumble like a cheap, dried out cookie. A Scion's sanity would be more resilient than say a Mortals, but I'd still make a risk so that players would harbor a certain dread, Complications serve this idea pretty well with Resolution being keeping the damn things on their side of the fence.

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
              The rules for a Scion are that you need to inherit one (1) Calling from your Patron. So if you wanted to play a Scion of Utgard-Loki who has the Destroyer Calling, go for it.

And as you build your Legend, you can have the Callings that fit your character. Honestly I ignore the moments of "Some Pantheons may find taking these Callings a bit ominous".
              I agree with Kyman201 here, i too ignore the notion that Pantheons cock a eyebrow and stroke their chin at a Scion Titan having a calling from their parent. Sure, if all 3 were the same as their parent, that's where they start to whisper in each other's ear, but from what I've made sense of so far (assuming the pantheon in question doesn't outright chant "DIE DIE DIE" at the mere whiff of them) is that while a Scion is the seed/chosen of a given Titan, they can just as readily be a worthy addition to the Pantheon as not, since Scions are divinity in the making and capable of making their own choices as to what they decide to represent or being champions of. In my games at least, they'd judge such a Scion by their deeds and regard them as ally/enemy accordingly.

Hell, a Titan Scion who hates their progenitor and will always take up arms against their own creator would make for a great redemption theme.

Reality is a matter of perception, challenging one's own or that of others is not a crime, it is a service.

Comment

Hi together,

here is a little question that came up in recnt Scion game:

Can Buildings be Birhtrights?

Background:

On of my players is huge Dark Anthology fan and wanted for his Scion of Osiris a House like the curator has in the games. His idea was that parts of the foundation were made from fragments of an Temple of Osiris thus giving the Mansion the Death Purview with the Motif "The words of the Master beckon the dead".

Most of us at the table see no problem with the idea in itself but disagree on how many points a Birthright like this is worth.

Thanks in Advance

Comment

If you guys don’t see any problem it’s ok.

I personally would treat it as a Guide, and work the cost as one, basically it’s a Purview, so 2 dots.

Unless you can only use the purview inside the building... then it’s a bit more useless if the adventures never happen out of the building, or as powerful as a guide if the adventures are always inside the building. If it’s a mix of both give half the regular cost.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                  Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                  Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Thanks for the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
                      Just to get my two cents on that bit. Honestly I viewed it less as "Wait they just took Titan callings, that could be a bad sign because it means they're looking at becoming a Titan." and interpreted it more as "Might be a bit paranoid, but is anyone else worried that Athena's kid there just declared themself a Destroyer? I'm a bit worried about what might be getting planned since they seem to really have taken to the war aspect of Athena's portfolio."

Comment

Hey guys i got a question.

Can attributes and skills be raised above five points via experience points?

A player asked me that yestarday and i didnt know how answer it, since in WOD games the power attribute( blood potency,primal urge), controls that. In Scion its legend ?

Comment

Originally posted by Thiagocord View Post
                          Hey guys i got a question.

Can attributes and skills be raised above five points via experience points?

A player asked me that yestarday and i didnt know how answer it, since in WOD games the power attribute( blood potency,primal urge), controls that. In Scion its legend ?
                          No, getting 5 dots is the maximum you can have in either Attribute or Skill. In order to increase your capacity further than that you use Purviews, Specialties, Knacks and Feats of Scale.
                          Last edited by Aristarkos; 12-06-2020, 03:48 PM.

Comment

If i play a solo game, should i increase the number of active knacks that a scion can have active at the same time?

Comment

The Shen in 1e had this "caseworker" option for making Scions. Will this option be making a comeback at some point in 2e?

Comment

Working...
                              X