Character Creation Scion 2E

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Nothing in the books. The only reference I can recall was one dev answering in the forum with something like: Origin characters get no purviews from birthrights.
    That'd be weird, since it's stated in Origin creation chapter
    Could we @ a dev on this?

The Repository

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Bardiel View Post

That'd be weird, since it's stated in Origin creation chapter
      Could we @ a dev on this?
      A birthright can grant knacks, stunts and situational enhancements, what is not available to regular people, that’s what a birthright could do at origin level. My origin character, for example, had a magical sword that had a lot of enhancements and the motif “can cut anything”, but gave no other effects, at least until he become quero and gained a purview (Journey in the case, because he could open portals to other places by cutting reality open).

I still think that the innate power of the purview would be available to an origin level character, as well as any other power as long the character can use a sacrifice to gain one point of legend and spend it immediately. For example, a staff that allows to see the dead could be used in a ceremony (an specific sacrifice) to cast a Death Marvel. That would give the item a importance in the game and to a cult that works around it, for example a cult leader that can summon spirits, or a artisan that have a magical hammer that allow him to do offers to the gods to create powerful items.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

A birthright can grant knacks, stunts and situational enhancements, what is not available to regular people, that’s what a birthright could do at origin level. My origin character, for example, had a magical sword that had a lot of enhancements and the motif “can cut anything”, but gave no other effects, at least until he become quero and gained a purview (Journey in the case, because he could open portals to other places by cutting reality open).

I still think that the innate power of the purview would be available to an origin level character, as well as any other power as long the character can use a sacrifice to gain one point of legend and spend it immediately. For example, a staff that allows to see the dead could be used in a ceremony (an specific sacrifice) to cast a Death Marvel. That would give the item a importance in the game and to a cult that works around it, for example a cult leader that can summon spirits, or a artisan that have a magical hammer that allow him to do offers to the gods to create powerful items.
        This is really useful. I kind of forgot about the sacrifices, and I agree on everything

The Repository

Comment

13. How many Paths character can have? Can it have more than basic 3 - Origin, Role and Pantheon?

14. Can non-Denizen become Denizen - and by this, change it's Role Path to Denizen Path? Skills dots, etc. stays on character like it was before then?

15. Can character suddenly find new Path? Like character uncover it was secretly Denizen, or Denizen-related, for 4th Path, for example?
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 08-28-2021, 04:05 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
          LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            13. How many Paths character can have? Can it have more than basic 3 - Origin, Role and Pantheon?

14. Can non-Denizen become Denizen - and by this, change it's Role Path to Denizen Path? Skills dots, etc. stays on character like it was before then?

15. Can character suddenly find new Path? Like character uncover it was secretly Denizen, or Denizen-related, for 4th Path, for example?
            I don't feel at all qualified to answer this but I'm doing it because no one else has.

13: I would probably not allow a player to have more paths, but I would allow them to change their paths as a part of roleplaying. Maybe a character starts with the Role Path "Professional Assassin" and later on starts to repent and feel guilty, then they change this path into something else. They gain no new skill dots but they have through roleplaying acquired a new network of contacts. Maybe their old Role Path then subsumes or is integrated into their Origin Path to represent how those old contacts and skills are still there.

14: Anything is possible with gods. I'm not sure if a Scion could become a Denizen, but if it is awesome enough I'd probably allow it on the condition that one of the Scion's old Callings is taken up by new Denizen Calling dots instead and Knacks are switched out to more appropriate ones where necessary. One thing you could do is allow the Pantheon Path to double as the new denizen path if your transformation into a Denizen is done by a god. For example if you have a Scion of Poseidon who is then transformed into a mermaid / merman then I would allow their Pantheon Path double as their Merfolk Path as well.

15: Again, I would not allow a 4th Path but would allow alterations of already existing Paths. The reason for this is because otherwise the character would have an extra +2 dice per session and also one more Path to draw on their contacts from one more Path than the other players which doesn't seem right.
            Last edited by Aristarkos; 08-29-2021, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

13, You can add more Paths by making appropriate connections through play (Origin, p.95). It's recommended that you don't go beyond five of them.

14. I'd agree with Aristarkos: if a Scion takes on a Denizen Path and wants access to the Knacks associated with it, she would have to switch out one of her Callings to make room. Note that it's possible to have a Denizen Path without taking the Calling: if you want to be a satyr but don't want it to be a significant part of your identity, make it a Path, take the appropriate Persistent Condition, and don't change anything else.

15. Remember that a Path comes with several benefits in the form of connections, Twists of Fate, and a dice bonus. Unless there's a way to justify giving all of that to someone at once, it's probably better to make it a longer process to adopt a new one.

Scion 2E Freelancer: Origin; Hero; Demigod; God; Mythical Denizens; Mysteries of the World; Saints & Monsters; No Gods, No Masters; Once & Future, Realms of Magic & Mystery

Comment

Working...
              X