X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyrdhamster
    started a topic Character Creation Scion 2E

Character Creation Scion 2E

I’m starting the Scion 2E game – and found character creation rules a bit confusing. Even with added sum-up material of Scion Character Creation Quick Reference ( SCCQR in short ), I still have questions on it.

Origin Tier
    1. Legend - Origin character get or not get Legend 1 score? I thought that at Origin tier, characters are ‘mortal’, so they DO NOT have Legend – i.e. they have Legend 0 – however SCCQR point they get Legend 1. Who is right?
    2. Knacks – As I understand, Origin characters get at start 1 Calling – and from that Calling list, they choose ONLY ONE Knack option for start. So if I choose Creator as Calling, I can choose 1 Knack between Innate Toolkit, Perfect Rendition, Reverse Engineer, Flawlessly Platonic Ideal, The Unlimited Quatermaster, We Go All Night OR Wireless Interface. I get it right?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 11-05-2020, 01:33 PM.

• Sir Bardiel
    replied
    Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

A birthright can grant knacks, stunts and situational enhancements, what is not available to regular people, that’s what a birthright could do at origin level. My origin character, for example, had a magical sword that had a lot of enhancements and the motif “can cut anything”, but gave no other effects, at least until he become quero and gained a purview (Journey in the case, because he could open portals to other places by cutting reality open).

I still think that the innate power of the purview would be available to an origin level character, as well as any other power as long the character can use a sacrifice to gain one point of legend and spend it immediately. For example, a staff that allows to see the dead could be used in a ceremony (an specific sacrifice) to cast a Death Marvel. That would give the item a importance in the game and to a cult that works around it, for example a cult leader that can summon spirits, or a artisan that have a magical hammer that allow him to do offers to the gods to create powerful items.
    This is really useful. I kind of forgot about the sacrifices, and I agree on everything

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sir Bardiel View Post

That'd be weird, since it's stated in Origin creation chapter
    Could we @ a dev on this?
    A birthright can grant knacks, stunts and situational enhancements, what is not available to regular people, that’s what a birthright could do at origin level. My origin character, for example, had a magical sword that had a lot of enhancements and the motif “can cut anything”, but gave no other effects, at least until he become quero and gained a purview (Journey in the case, because he could open portals to other places by cutting reality open).

I still think that the innate power of the purview would be available to an origin level character, as well as any other power as long the character can use a sacrifice to gain one point of legend and spend it immediately. For example, a staff that allows to see the dead could be used in a ceremony (an specific sacrifice) to cast a Death Marvel. That would give the item a importance in the game and to a cult that works around it, for example a cult leader that can summon spirits, or a artisan that have a magical hammer that allow him to do offers to the gods to create powerful items.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Bardiel
    replied

Nothing in the books. The only reference I can recall was one dev answering in the forum with something like: Origin characters get no purviews from birthrights.
    That'd be weird, since it's stated in Origin creation chapter
    Could we @ a dev on this?

Leave a comment:

• ElfSpeaker
    replied
    Yeah, I'd probably let an Origin character use the innate ability of a Purview if it didn't require imbuing Legend.

Leave a comment:

• Geoffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Florin View Post
    Wow, I missed that. I would still say, though, the best you could do is get the innate power since you have no Legend to power anything else.

That's the way I'd go, too. I don't see much wrong with an Origin-level character having a ring that makes them immune to fire or a belt that makes them stronger than normal. They can grow into the other powers later.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Wow, I missed that. I would still say, though, the best you could do is get the innate power since you have no Legend to power anything else.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Originally posted by Sir Bardiel View Post

Yes I can see fluff-wise how it could be cool, I'm wondering if it's stated with a decent degree of disambiguation anywhere
    Nothing in the books. The only reference I can recall was one dev answering in the forum with something like: Origin characters get no purviews from birthrights.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Origin p.98
    “Each player character receives five extra Skill dots, an extra Attribute dot, and either two additional Knacks or four points of Birthrights (see Scion: Hero p. 201) at character creation.”

Edit: Geoffrey was faster... but he replied while I was copping, so I didn’t saw his post until after I posted...

Leave a comment:

• Geoffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Florin View Post
    Also, there are no Birthrights in the Origin character creation process. If the SG wants to give the characters Birthrights, that's up to the SG, but RAW, they don't get Birthrights.
    Origin, p. 98: "Each player character receives five extra Skill dots, an extra Attribute dot, and either two additional Knacks or four points of Birthrights (see Scion: Hero p. 201) at character creation."

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Birthrights are not tied to character legend. At least to the legend dots. An origin character can have birthright dots since char gen.
    From Hero p.201: "When the Visitation occurs, many Gods grant their children Birthrights, powerful tokens of their esteem that become tied to the Scion’s Legend." It's up to your own interpretation as to what that means, but they do use the phrase.

Also, there are no Birthrights in the Origin character creation process. If the SG wants to give the characters Birthrights, that's up to the SG, but RAW, they don't get Birthrights.

Leave a comment:

• Sir Bardiel
    replied
    Birthrights are not tied to character legend. At least to the legend dots. An origin character can have birthright dots since char gen.

If it was up to me, I would give access to the innate powers, as they are free, but notice that some innate powers are useless for example the ones that allow you to imbue legend instead of spending to gain scale.

it would be really interesting story, for example a center that make you shine, or an guide that teach you how to see and talk to dead people.
    Yes I can see fluff-wise how it could be cool, I'm wondering if it's stated with a decent degree of disambiguation anywhere

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied

If it was up to me, I would give access to the innate powers, as they are free, but notice that some innate powers are useless for example the ones that allow you to imbue legend instead of spending to gain scale.

it would be really interesting story, for example a shield that make you shine, or an guide that teach you how to see and talk to dead people.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    I would say - They can use how the story unfolds, seeing how it's all powered by Fate. So, Storyguide discretion, really. When they get Legend, it's players decision.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    At best, I'd say they get the innate power, but I'd probably say they don't get anything. Birthrights are tied to a character's Legend, and Origin characters don't have a Legend yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X