X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyrdhamster
    started a topic Ecology in Scion

Ecology in Scion

What could be possible ecological implications of Scion World? Am I only one thinking that Climate Change we have over our heads can lead to new Titanomachy, with ancient spells being broken by changing climate, letting free Titans from previous prisons?
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 12-01-2020, 04:37 PM.

• Astromancer
    replied
    One thing that ecological awareness could set up is pantheon splits and civil wars among even pantheons who agree about how serious the ecological crises are. Example from the real world, the Inuit peoples on the whole are onboard with ecological awareness and the need to protect/nurture the environment (there are exceptions in every group). Still, whale hunting is sacred. The conflict becomes obvious.

Throughout the planet there are similar issues if you look for them. Decent people caught between vital and irreconcilable needs and imperatives. The possibilities of drama are rich.

Leave a comment:

• Sacerdos
    replied
    Originally posted by PXGentleman View Post
    There's a couple of mentions of this in the various gods write-ups. Poseidon, for example, is really pissed at the state of the seas in the modern age and he only hasn't obliterated a city or two because Zeus forbids it.
    Now, if that isn't a good basis for a Pantheon splitting, even going to war with each other, over the issue of ecology Poseidon and Zeus have enough tension already, throw in rapidly rising sea temperatures and pollution, and a certain god may consider repeating his previous coup attempt

Leave a comment:

• PXGentleman
    replied
    There's a couple of mentions of this in the various gods write-ups. Poseidon, for example, is really pissed at the state of the seas in the modern age and he only hasn't obliterated a city or two because Zeus forbids it.

Leave a comment:

• milo v3
    replied
    Everything in the sea is eaten by sharkfolk. The end.

Leave a comment:

• Sacerdos
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    What could be possible ecological implications of Scion World? Am I only one thinking that Climate Change we have over our heads can lead to new Titanomachy, with ancient spells being broken by changing climate, letting free Titans in previous prisons?
    The conceit of the World is, of course, that it is not visibly very different from our world, so I don't think that its ecology is significantly different - yet. However, that is exactly the kind of thing that can change over the course of a game. Climate change loosening the bonds of the Titans is certainly poetic, but seeing as so many Titans' "prisons" are not physical, I wouldn't focus on that aspect too much. Rather, I wonder how climate change could sway the opinions of deities that have so far been on "our side." There are plenty of deities depicted as being on the fence about humanity or favouring nature and animals over humanity already. The ecological disaster we are currently creating could inspire a lot of figures to turn against humanity, it could split whole Pantheons on the question. There's a lot of potential in that, too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X