Deities & Demigods: How to handle nonhuman races in a D&D-esque World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deities & Demigods: How to handle nonhuman races in a D&D-esque World

I'm planning a Scion game that's set in a high-fantasy D&D-style world, and I was wondering how I should handle non-human races like elves, dwarves, orcs, etc.

I'm not entirely sure I understand the Supernatural Denizen rules and how they relate to Scions. In reading them, it looks like Denizens don't get all the benefits of being Scions? Do they not get to advance beyond Hero tier? Because if that's the case, that's not going to fly...but at the same time, I don't want normal human Scions to get overshadowed by the Scions that are, say, elves and have access to Elf knacks.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

I'd raid the 1st edition for ideas on "lesser immortals" and denizens. Then I'd work on sanding down the rough edges. Elf knacks? Certainly. But read on the mythologies you're drawing from. Elves in Norse lore are more associated with the health and fertility of humans, game, livestock, and crops, than woodcraft. Know what Knacks your demihumans would actually use.

Comment

The goto book on Elves is Alaric Hall's Elves in Anglo-Saxon England. It's on Amazon. It will make your view of Elves do backflips.

Comment

Are scions important to your game? Or is it more about having Origin tiered adventurers?

Id also love a Storypath version of Scarred Lands as i think the storypath system could do dnd style fantasy pretty well.
        For that id just replace the scion callings with the race and some for the class. Each having their set of knacks to choose. Mine the scion calling knacks for appropriate ideas.

Next step honestly id leave the race as just the Origin Path. Forget all that giving specific attribute bonus bullshit and just make a "Am an Elf" as your Origin path giving ... i dont know Firarm (replaced with ranged i gued in a mediaval setting), Occult and ... Survival or whatever.
        Then you just have the appropriate ressources and contacts such a path would give you.
        Use knacks for races if you really want to represent a special power for your race but i wouldnt fprce anyone to take it.

Hopefully it helps.

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 2 years old son and now a beautiful new baby.

Comment

You can have Denizens that are not Scions and Denizens that are Scions. Also, each kind of Denizen can reach a different tier, for example, Centaurs can only be heroes, while Kitsune can reach god tier (9 tails for Legend 9).

Denizens follow the rules described in Hero in general, but if they are also Scions they have all the advantages of being a Scion of the proper Tier, and have the proper path and calling (including the condition of applies) of their denizen nature.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
            Are scions important to your game? Or is it more about having Origin tiered adventurers?

Id also love a Storypath version of Scarred Lands as i think the storypath system could do dnd style fantasy pretty well.
            For that id just replace the scion callings with the race and some for the class. Each having their set of knacks to choose. Mine the scion calling knacks for appropriate ideas.

Next step honestly id leave the race as just the Origin Path. Forget all that giving specific attribute bonus bullshit and just make a "Am an Elf" as your Origin path giving ... i dont know Firarm (replaced with ranged i gued in a mediaval setting), Occult and ... Survival or whatever.
            Then you just have the appropriate ressources and contacts such a path would give you.
            Use knacks for races if you really want to represent a special power for your race but i wouldnt fprce anyone to take it.

Hopefully it helps.

It's a Hero-Tier game that would ideally travel into Demigod and beyond. The ability to be Scions is important, because this game is basically meant to be "Xena and Hercules meets Gygaxian Fantasy."

I've been toying with just leaving the races as Origin Paths (I'd be replacing Firearms with Archery). The Callings already work as Classes, but some races I'd be thinking of including go a bit further than just an Origin (Dragonborn, Shadar-Kai, and Eladrin especially) and would probably need to have full Denizen sorts of paths to allow for Knacks specific to those races.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post
              I've been toying with just leaving the races as Origin Paths (I'd be replacing Firearms with Archery). The Callings already work as Classes, but some races I'd be thinking of including go a bit further than just an Origin (Dragonborn, Shadar-Kai, and Eladrin especially) and would probably need to have full Denizen sorts of paths to allow for Knacks specific to those races.
              I would make races closer to Callings than to paths.
              First reason are the knacks, but the “flexible nature” of humans in D&D would be that they can have 3 callings instead of 2 and one race calling (and origin level humans would have any calling, while denizens would be stuck with their racial calling.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
              X