Dawn Light? Post-apocalyptic Scions.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astromancer
    started a topic Dawn Light? Post-apocalyptic Scions.

Dawn Light? Post-apocalyptic Scions.

Assume that an apocalyptic event has happened, 95% of humanity is gone. But there are survivors. Now, a century after the crisis, bio-remedial organisms (designed by a team of scientists, sorcerers, and scions) have cleaned away the persistent toxins. The old plagues and the zombie hoards have died out. The Earth is healing itself.

Different communities with different pantheons and teams of pantheons as divine patrons are trying to rebuild.

Who is your favorite pantheon or team of pantheons backing and what's the goal?

For me, Athena, Bast, Geezhigo-Quae, and Brigid have come to an agreement. They're planning on rebuilding America with improvements. Athena and Geezhigo-Quae have their pantheons fully onboard. Bast and Bridgid have substantial factions of their pantheons splitting off to go with them. With the Tuatha, the split is complete but only mildly rancorous. With the Egyptian Gods, the faction is still part of the pantheon, but there is deep bitterness and jealousy directed at Bast's faction. Both the Aseir and the Orishas think they might want to join the team.

Would you have long forgotten pantheons seek a comeback? Would pantheons try to take their surviving followers to new and better lands? What would the policies on technology and sorcery be?

How would you restart the world?

Spelling corrections later.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 12-10-2020, 12:00 PM.

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    Awhile ago, I ran a "Post Ragnarok" D&D game where the world had been laid waste by the conflict. The Earth (and the Nine Worlds) were ruins, now overrun by wilderness and peopled by the remnants of our Earth, and the clashing armies of gods, titans and monsters. Following the classic Ragnarok plot, most of the old Asgardian gods were dead. Now the New Asgardians were led by a triune of Balder, Thrudd and Hnossa, with a rag-tag assortment of remaining Asgardians and other deities forming a loose pantheon. There were a great many "friendly" gods and goddesses and pantheons, but only a few were known of in the region.

It was a fun campaign. The player characters were often searching for relic tech and magical artifacts left behind by the gods while fighting Trolls, Giants, Mutants and Robots from Old Midgard.

This setting would be quite easy to run in Scion. Even better IMO, as I like the character growth available in Scion.
    Last edited by MythAdvocate; 12-11-2020, 10:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Fights among pantheons and alliances of pantheons would be a logical aspect of this setting, Example: In the books released so far, the Manitou are depicted as pragmatic, forward-looking, and quick to adapt to the modern world. Logically there would be other North American pantheons that would both agree and disagree with any or all of the Manitou's viewpoints goals and plans. With the large number of North American pantheons diversity is to be expected. Having the Manitou working hand in glove with European and North African pantheons would offend some, please others, and be a matter of total indifference to still others. But it would be politically and diplomatically complex.

My suggestion about having the Devas work to rebuild Indian society in the Southernmost lands of the subcontinent would breed both internal and external political struggles. First, the Shen would have no use for a revived India. Meanwhile, the Pantheons of Southeast and East Asia beyond China would want a renewed India as a counterweight to China. Southwest Asia would likely see the Shen and China as counterweights in their favor. Meanwhile, most East African pantheons would want/seek stability in the Indian Ocean area for their benefit. And who wouldn't?

A rich political background of struggle would also surround the form in which society should be rebuilt. If your pantheon wants to recreate a noble past society and your neighbors are plunking down for a high-tech utopia, one of you will be disappointed. And the technophilic/technophobic divide is only the simplest one.

Leave a comment:

• Florin
    replied
    Glooge, the god of hunting and finding lost things.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied

A pantheon of Apocalypse and survival themed Gods and Titans would be very fun to explore. Gods and Titans built around whatever brought about the END, the remaining natural world, and what would survive. Deities linked with viable crops, rats, cockroaches, mutation, childbirth, bunkers, nuclear fire, etc. And lets not forget irradiated monsters (Titans and their spawn).

The "Lords of Light" yelled by Thundarr the Barbarian come to mind. But who are these deities?!?

Walma the Abundant goddess of the hearth and material goods
    Amoza the Swift, god of transit and protector of travelers
    Toyota, the chariot god
    Ex-Mobil, god of buried treasures and sinker of ships

Holy crap. This could be fun!

Leave a comment:

• Sacerdos
    replied
    Originally posted by Astromancer View Post

The deities I chose have been favorites of mine since childhood. The Manitou deity I mixed up with the daughter of the Moon, Nokomis, will forgive me. Yes, I make major typos. The Manitou decided they were going to be in on the ground floor of the new America. (I'll get the right name later).

But, as you said, this scenario could happen anywhere. Although the vast majority of post-apocalyptic stories get set in Australia, the UK, or the USA. I've only read one set in Canada and none set in any part of Asia. India, especially Southern India, with the possibility of three crops a year under normal conditions, would be a choice rebuilding spot.
    Ah, alright, that takes care of my thoughts on Native American participation as well, then. Though I do still think there might be an interesting tension between Native Pantheons like the Manidoog and the rebuilding efforts of Old World Pantheons. The latter bit about alternative places shows how differently we think - picking India because of ecological factors is an interesting direction. I would mostly have looked for a region with a similarly interesting overlap of Pantheons, but that approach is exciting, too.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Yeah, not at all the way you should be referring to them even if an alliance of Native Peoples reflecting RL movements is beiong referenced. It's very dismissive.
    No offense was intended, and when I had the chance to look up Geezhigo-Quae and Brigid to correct the spelling of their names, I as promised made corrections. Nor do I propose even in my one example an alliance of all the nations of North America, or even the 500 nations within the borders of the USA. I assume multiple different viewpoints in a group more diverse than Europe, North Africa, and Southwest Asia combined. But I apologize for my offense.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 12-09-2020, 08:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
    The Native American Pantheons saw their scattered disunited people mopped up with small effort. They've got the memo, "In Union there is Strength." The Mantels of Washington, Franklin, Lincoln, and the Roosevelts, will be made use of.
    Yeah, not at all the way you should be referring to them even if an alliance of Native Peoples reflecting RL movements is beiong referenced. It's very dismissive.

Leave a comment:

• MythAdvocate
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post
    Heard a rumor that way back before even 1e was officially launched, Scion was conceived of as a post-apocalyptic game where the Gods were returning to help rebuild after humanity fucked things up, so there's definitely fertile ground there. And heck, some of the Gods have done more with less (see how many times the Teotl and the Deva have rebuilt humanity from nothing).

Honestly this seems like RIPE storyground for Heroes to build their own Legend and raise a ruined world into something glorious. In times like these, humanity will need Heroes more than ever
    This general premise is something I have been pondering for a Space Opera Scion game. Man scattered across the stars, perhaps following a great crisis. And the gods of old have begun showing themselves, plus some newcomers. New gods and scions, with room for cosmic Titans and their spawn to shake things up. Cosmic Gods and Titans the vein of Primus, Unicron, Stardust the Super Wizard, or Dormammu.

Just something I think about on sleepless nights.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Kyman201 View Post

By throwing out all old nations and going hog-wild, BAY-BEE! If we're assuming that the Pantheons of Old survived, let's have the various Pantheons of the various First Nation tribes reclaim their old sovereignty, with the descendants of our America integrating into their cultures for an ultimately better whole.
    Worthy project.

Most Gods probably wouldn't give half a shit about 'Rebuilding a country that's only a few scant centuries old' and would instead focus on leading their people to a better tomorrow.
    The Native American Pantheons saw their scattered disunited people mopped up with small effort. They've got the memo, "In Union there is Strength." The Mantels of Washington, Franklin, Lincoln, and the Roosevelts, will be made use of.

Also, out of curiosity... Who's Nikomus? I did a quick Google search and didn't spot anything.

Edit: Ninja'd about the Nikomus thing. Ah well
    I meant to use the name of Geezhigo-Quae of the Manitou and had a brain failure.
    Last edited by Astromancer; 12-10-2020, 11:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I'm assuming that Astromancer is working off of the ten Pantheons find in Scion: Hero. Nikomus isn't Theoi, Netjer, it Tuatha, nor is she(?) Æsir or Òrìshà. That leaves the Devá, Kami, Manitou, Shén, and Teōtl. Taking these in order:

I see nothing close to Nikamus in the Devá.
    Kami? No.
    Manitou? Nu-uh.
    Shén? Nope.
    Teōtl? Wrong again.

Okay; maybe one of the Pantheons in Mysteries of the World?

Nothing in the Loa.
    Nemontedavos? Struck out again.
    Yazata? Nothing here either.
    None of the Additional Gods fit the bill.
    Atlanteans? Negative.

I even looked through the new Pantheons found in Demigod. Okay; I'm stumped.

In my defence, Grandma had the Longfellow poem memoried. Nokomis was like any other fairy tale character to me.

Leave a comment:

• Astromancer
    replied
    Originally posted by Sacerdos View Post
    I think an apocalpytic scenario is an excellent set-up for Scion. It provides lots of incentive for the gods to interact with humanity in fun ways. It basically gives you a blank map to repeat the motifs of creation and culture foundation on. Now as you specifically chose to set this in America (though I think you'll agree that the basic idea is transferable to any continent), I guess the most exciting addition still to make is that of some Native American mythological actors like the Manidoog or Teteo. They have, after all, already gathered some experience with surviving an apocalypse or two (if you're interested in the reading of the European contact as an apocalyptic event, I really recommend Lawrence Gross's Anishinaabe Ways of Knowing and Being). They could represent a faction understandably wary of the Old World team of rebuilders, but also possessing expertise crucial for the latter's efforts.

As for the team you already outline, I have two questions: 1) What made you choose specifically these four gods/Pantheons? and 2) Who is Nikomus? ^^' (I guess it's one of the typos you mention, but I'm honestly failing to guess who you mean by that)

The deities I chose have been favorites of mine since childhood. The Manitou deity I mixed up with the daughter of the Moon, Nokomis, will forgive me. Yes, I make major typos. The Manitou decided they were going to be in on the ground floor of the new America. (I'll get the right name later).

But, as you said, this scenario could happen anywhere. Although the vast majority of post-apocalyptic stories get set in Australia, the UK, or the USA. I've only read one set in Canada and none set in any part of Asia. India, especially Southern India, with the possibility of three crops a year under normal conditions, would be a choice rebuilding spot.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    I'm assuming that Astromancer is working off of the ten Pantheons find in Scion: Hero. Nikomus isn't Theoi, Netjer, it Tuatha, nor is she(?) Æsir or Òrìshà. That leaves the Devá, Kami, Manitou, Shén, and Teōtl. Taking these in order:

I see nothing close to Nikamus in the Devá.
    Kami? No.
    Manitou? Nu-uh.
    Shén? Nope.
    Teōtl? Wrong again.

Okay; maybe one of the Pantheons in Mysteries of the World?

Nothing in the Loa.
    Nemontedavos? Struck out again.
    Yazata? Nothing here either.
    None of the Additional Gods fit the bill.
    Atlanteans? Negative.

I even looked through the new Pantheons found in Demigod. Okay; I'm stumped.

Leave a comment:

• Kyman201
    replied
    Heard a rumor that way back before even 1e was officially launched, Scion was conceived of as a post-apocalyptic game where the Gods were returning to help rebuild after humanity fucked things up, so there's definitely fertile ground there. And heck, some of the Gods have done more with less (see how many times the Teotl and the Deva have rebuilt humanity from nothing).

Honestly this seems like RIPE storyground for Heroes to build their own Legend and raise a ruined world into something glorious. In times like these, humanity will need Heroes more than ever

How would you restart the World?
    By throwing out all old nations and going hog-wild, BAY-BEE! If we're assuming that the Pantheons of Old survived, let's have the various Pantheons of the various First Nation tribes reclaim their old sovereignty, with the descendants of our America integrating into their cultures for an ultimately better whole.

Let's have a Hero of the Teotl perform a ceremony as their Apotheosis that ignites them to form the Sixth Tezcatlipoca.

Maybe the Tuatha see this as an opportunity to storm out of their hills and retake Ireland for their own! The possibilities are ENDLESS!

Most Gods probably wouldn't give half a shit about 'Rebuilding a country that's only a few scant centuries old' and would instead focus on leading their people to a better tomorrow.

Also, out of curiosity... Who's Nikomus? I did a quick Google search and didn't spot anything.

Edit: Ninja'd about the Nikomus thing. Ah well

Leave a comment:

• Sacerdos
    replied
    I think an apocalpytic scenario is an excellent set-up for Scion. It provides lots of incentive for the gods to interact with humanity in fun ways. It basically gives you a blank map to repeat the motifs of creation and culture foundation on. Now as you specifically chose to set this in America (though I think you'll agree that the basic idea is transferable to any continent), I guess the most exciting addition still to make is that of some Native American mythological actors like the Manidoog or Teteo. They have, after all, already gathered some experience with surviving an apocalypse or two (if you're interested in the reading of the European contact as an apocalyptic event, I really recommend Lawrence Gross's Anishinaabe Ways of Knowing and Being). They could represent a faction understandably wary of the Old World team of rebuilders, but also possessing expertise crucial for the latter's efforts.

As for the team you already outline, I have two questions: 1) What made you choose specifically these four gods/Pantheons? and 2) Who is Nikomus? ^^' (I guess it's one of the typos you mention, but I'm honestly failing to guess who you mean by that)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X