Rules Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Questions

Hey guys, just looking for clarification and input on a couple of rules.

Firstly, in the Transfigure power on page 270 of Hero, it mentions the effects of the power being resolved "at the end of this Boon". However, no end time is given for the Boon, the Duration is written as "Instant". Was this ever clarified? If not how have you been running this Boon?

Secondly, our group has been in an Origin game for the better part of the year and is just now getting to Hero so I'm unsure if Knacks granted by Birthrights are subject to the same rules as the Knacks under the various Callings. For example, would you require a player spend one of their Knack slots on a unique Knack granted by a Guide? How about one from a Relic?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by thevoiceoftreason; 12-16-2020, 04:28 AM.

The first is a complicated question, and AI remember it was discussed before, maybe not this boom specifically, but another one similar. Booms usually last for as long the Legend is imbued, but it’s the case. My suggestion is to make it last to the end of the scene, except for trivial that last forever.

Second the answer is Yes, you must use the calling dots to keep them active, but they are not restricted to any calling, while the calling knacks are restricted to only the dots in the proper calling. Same from Relic Knacks.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

how do you know if a unique knack from a relic is heroic of immortal to know if it cost one or two of your calling dots?

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post
        how do you know if a unique knack from a relic is heroic of immortal to know if it cost one or two of your calling dots?

Good question! And it's probably something you'll have to play by ear, using existing Knacks as benchmarks. As far as I know, there aren't guidelines for Knack creation the same way that there are for Purview and Boon creation.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

I have questions about Virtues and Momentum. Just how does using your Virtues with Momentum actually work? I am confuse.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post
            I have questions about Virtues and Momentum. Just how does using your Virtues with Momentum actually work? I am confuse.
            Here is the complete answer:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/m...09#post1311309

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

Thought I posted this before, but looks like the internet ate it. But thank you! That's helpful.

I do sort of wish the rules in these books had been organized better, or that a bit more redundancy had been baked in.

For instance, where are the Segment rules? I'm looking through the Antagonists section and not seeing them anywhere in either book.

Comment

They are nowhere. I think I read it somewhere, maybe in a previous version of the book, but maybe I am wrong.

My idea for Segments is you divide the adversary in multiple parts that work as independent adversaries to define the injuries and difficulty of attacking, and must be taken down one by one to be able to reach another or a “main segment”. Picture a Giant, you can’t reach the head without putting the body down, unless you have a ranged weapon, climb or jump to the head, that is basically the idea, if you hurt the leg enough the Giant will fall, if you hit the arms enough the weapon will fall, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                  They are nowhere. I think I read it somewhere, maybe in a previous version of the book, but maybe I am wrong.

My idea for Segments is you divide the adversary in multiple parts that work as independent adversaries to define the injuries and difficulty of attacking, and must be taken down one by one to be able to reach another or a “main segment”. Picture a Giant, you can’t reach the head without putting the body down, unless you have a ranged weapon, climb or jump to the head, that is basically the idea, if you hurt the leg enough the Giant will fall, if you hit the arms enough the weapon will fall, etc.

Well that's frustrating, considering they mention Segments quite a bit. The only real reference I can find rules-wise is in the bit in the Sea Serpent sidebar, which divides the hydra's health boxes but then mentions that they get their own initiative? Does this mean each Segment gets an action? If Segments give creatures more than a single action, I can see that being useful, since otherwise the PC's action economy will overwhelm that of a single foe.

Another question then: The Jinx Fatebound mentions something called Narrative Disadvantage, and says it's "just like evoking a Path." But the Path rules in Origin don't say anything about this. Instead, using a Path too often results in the Path Suspended Condition. There's also Obligations, which work like Compels (your character needs to do a favor to satisfy it as a Short Term Deed or suffer a rank 2 Complication the next time they try to draw on their Contacts). So where's Narrative Disadvantage?

These books feel like there were numerous changes made during development, and there wasn't a good long proofreading to unify everything and make sure things weren't missing.

Comment

Invoking a path causes a Twist of Fate. So, a narrative disadvantage would be a detrimental Twist of Fate affecting the Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post

For instance, where are the Segment rules? I'm looking through the Antagonists section and not seeing them anywhere in either book.
                      There are actually more in-depth rules for Segments on pg. 102 of the Titanomachy book. Mateus is basically bang-on though. You can add Segments to give a creature more health, and ties specific Qualities and Flairs to them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by thevoiceoftreason View Post

There are actually more in-depth rules for Segments on pg. 102 of the Titanomachy book. Mateus is basically bang-on though. You can add Segments to give a creature more health, and ties specific Qualities and Flairs to them as well.

Thank you. I did wind up finding those since the above was posted, but I appreciate the answer to help anyone else who winds up having similar questions. There seems to be an even more in-depth version of segments in the upcoming Demigod book.

Comment

Working...
                        X