X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    I’m happy 😊. There’s a whole section in Chapter One of Masks of the Mythos about how the Mythos relates to more traditional Scions (and Titans).
    Penelope And I'm a bit dissapointed. Whole section puts Mythos in context of Scions. Gods. Titans and Primordials of gameline - BUT it's not pointing that even some classical mythology Gods are having very Mythos-like features or actions, stepping on cosmic horror from myths. This section will not convince more traditional Scion fans that Mythos are 'koshere' in setting stories... On the other hand, it does good examples on what Gods vs Mythos relation really is.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
    Horror from Outer Space - Hero to Demigod game ( possible God ) – Using Scion Dragon
    Myth Level: Heroic ( to /very dark/ Silver, I suppose? )
    Pulpish horror game – so called Lovecraft Lite. PCs are Heroes in Pantheons. Lately, they uncover that Great Old Ones are coming! PCs need to build Pantheons coalition to beat the literal Horrors from Outer Space…
    I will mention that Robert E. Howard's Conan stories and its Hyborian setting are tangentally connected to the Mythos, as are a number of his other works (Kull of Atlantis, Bran Mac Morn, etc.), so the idea of heroically pulpish adventurers fighting aspects of the Mythos with swords, arcane lore and other tools isn't unprecedented.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    How is Albtraum like Dionysus?

Leave a comment:

• Raz_Fox
    replied
    Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
    Hmmm... we were previously told that Arcane Calculus was the PSP, but only some of them have it (and there are other new Purviews like Hibernation, Transference, and weirdly "Dreams" [what would that cover that Darkness doesn't?])... so is there an additional PSP all Mythos Scions have access to?

Also perplexed how the Cosmos purview exists and Azathoth doesn't have it.
    Occam’s Razor suggests that it’s a sloppy error, like 1e Bastet having the Vengeance purview or first-reveal Fujin in Titanomachy having the Guardian purview. Assuming that’s the case, I’ve already flagged them using the feedback form. I’m open to being wrong, but I really doubt it.

Though, to be honest, my biggest reason for believing that Hibernation and Transference aren’t new purviews (other than the baffling specificity) is that if they were, why on earth would Cthulhu not have Hibernation?

EDIT: so that this post isn’t all negative: I actually think creating their own deity, inspired by The Temple, was a gamble that paid off. Albtraum is a fantastic almost-Dionysus, more interesting than just another take on Dagon. The Lord of the Great Abyss almost certainly needs an editing pass for his purviews but the concept is solid. And good on them for including Lilith!
    Last edited by Raz_Fox; 01-22-2021, 07:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hark
    replied
    What your arguing is like saying fire shouldn't have any influence over emotion because we have a passion perview, yet fire explicitly has power over emotions.

Dreams are currently cover by darkness only because of the core perviews its the most thematically appropriate. That does not and never has implied that darkness has exclusive influence over dreams. That is what the Dream perview is for.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Or Dreams will be simply shapen by every Purview that is applicable to the Dream Scene - like with Arcana in Mage: The Awakening? Dream Scene is about Darkness - use Darkness. Dream Scene is about Health or Cold - use Health or Cold. Simple as that.
    there’s explicitly a Dream Purview, so no that isn’t how it’s going to work.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Or Dreams will be simply shapen by every Purview that is applicable to the Dream Scene - like with Arcana in Mage: The Awakening? Dream Scene is about Darkness - use Darkness. Dream Scene is about Health or Cold - use Health or Cold. Simple as that.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-22-2021, 04:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Hark View Post

Darkness has only ever had very weak power over dreams. It's not like massive overlap doesn't happen in all of the previews. You can already use any boon from any perview is you can argue how it works with the desired perview.
    No Darkness until now has covered EVERY dream effect. What ever dream effect you wanted to think of, that was a potential Darkness Boon with whatever appropriate Feat of Scale you needed.

There is already a system for specializing a Purview to get extra effects. If Dreams is being made a separate Purview, Darkness needs a complete rewrite to cover a full Purview's worth of areas influence.

or maybe Dream is going to be a specialized Purview off of Darkness. We’ll see
    Last edited by glamourweaver; 01-22-2021, 03:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Could you point where in PDF is this quote? I cannot find it in Preview 1 of MotM... I would like to point this to my 'sceptical to Mythos in Scion' players, to encourage my later chronicle idea.
    There’s a whole two page section near the end of Chapter 1 about how the Mythos interacts with other Scions and pantheons. It even has its own title and everything. It seems clear at least one canon interpretation is that the pantheons and the Mythos can coexist in the same World. But I’ll reserve judgment till I read the entire manuscript.
    Last edited by Penelope; 01-22-2021, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hark
    replied

Darkness is going to need a substantive rewrite then.
    Darkness has only ever had very weak power over dreams. It's not like massive overlap doesn't happen in all of the previews. You can already use any boon from any perview is you can argue how it works with the desired perview.

Leave a comment:

• glamourweaver
    replied
    Originally posted by Hark View Post

We in the Mythos Dreams are a really big deal, but have no special association with Darkness. Really dreams in Mythos deserve their own perview simple by virtue of them needing to be able to do so much more and the degree of importance they play.

Darkness is going to need a substantive rewrite then.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    My two new Scion series ideas, based on Kickstarter materials…

Enemy Within - Hero to Demigod game ( possible God ) – Using Scion Dragon
    Myth Level: Heroic ( to Bronze, I suppose? )
    Espionage/secrets game. PCs are Heroes in Pantheons. Lately, they uncover literal Ancient Reptilian Conspiracy – with biggest Dragons at the reign of it. All the Titanomachy conflicts between Gods and Titans are just next machinations of Dragons. And Big Lizards are just to sweep the Gods and Titans alike, once and for all…
    Option: If Theros of Atlantis are used in game, they bring news to modern Pantheons about return of ancient enemy – Dragons – that once defeated Atlanteans.
    Ending: PCs build coalition of Pantheons to stop Great Wyrms from return to World en masse – and defeat Dragons overloads?
    Twist: ???
    Problem: ‘Ancient Reptilian Conspiracy’ maybe hard too pull realisable – as with any Ancient Conspiracy Trope. Especially, with Gods level Dragons planning it.
    Inspirations: ( Reptilians Conspiracy Media? ), V (2009 TV series)

Horror from Outer Space - Hero to Demigod game ( possible God ) – Using Scion Dragon
    Myth Level: Heroic ( to /very dark/ Silver, I suppose? )
    Pulpish horror game – so called Lovecraft Lite. PCs are Heroes in Pantheons. Lately, they uncover that Great Old Ones are coming! PCs need to build Pantheons coalition to beat the literal Horrors from Outer Space…
    Option: If Theros of Atlantis are used in game, they bring news to modern Pantheons about return of ancient enemy – Great Old Ones – that once nearly wiped out Atlanteans and whole life on Earth.
    Ending: PCs with coalition of Pantheons stops Old Ones more and more faster invasion on the World?
    Twist: ???
    Problem: Starts maybe as a bit pulpish horror – with finding cultists, then Lesser Servants, etc. But can come to truly apocalyptic proportions – with literal End of the World finale. Think of Call of Cthulhu RPG where PCs are Scion Heroes…
    Inspirations: ( Cthulhu Mythos media – especially, more action oriented ), Robert E. Howard's Conan stories and its Hyborian setting are tangentally connected to the Mythos, as are a number of his other works (Kull of Atlantis, Bran Mac Morn, etc.) – all about Heroes beating ancient horrors, many time literally taken from Mythos.

Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-23-2021, 02:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Hark
    replied
    Hmmm... we were previously told that Arcane Calculus was the PSP, but only some of them have it (and there are other new Purviews like Hibernation, Transference, and weirdly "Dreams" [what would that cover that Darkness doesn't?])... so is there an additional PSP all Mythos Scions have access to?

Also perplexed how the Cosmos purview exists and Azathoth doesn't have it.
    We in the Mythos Dreams are a really big deal, but have no special association with Darkness. Really dreams in Mythos deserve their own perview simple by virtue of them needing to be able to do so much more and the degree of importance they play.

Leave a comment:

• Grimmi05
    replied
    Yeah that first section of mythos has turned me off to it. I think I am just going to stick with dragon
    Last edited by Grimmi05; 01-22-2021, 02:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wyrdhamster
    replied
    Originally posted by Penelope View Post
    I’m happy 😊. There’s a whole section in Chapter One of Masks of the Mythos about how the Mythos relates to more traditional Scions (and Titans).
    Could you point where in PDF is this quote? I cannot find it in Preview 1 of MotM... I would like to point this to my 'sceptical to Mythos in Scion' players, to encourage my later chronicle idea.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 01-22-2021, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X