Shapeshifting for non-Theoi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shapeshifting for non-Theoi

How would you advise me to handle a player who wants to be able to shapeshift into a tiger form every now and then?

His character is not Theoi so Metamorphosis is out. The Monster Calling might have worked but it comes with the baggage of monstrous urges and my player's character is much more of a stoic, calm and regal guardian type rather than a monstrous lycanthrope.

Beasts seems like the most obvious venue so far but the Boons given as examples seem to only allow partial shiftings or more symbolic effects. We wonder if if would be alright by the rules as written and rules as intended to simply copy the Change Shape Boon from Metamorphosis on page 270? This is because it is a much more wholesale shifting effect at a higher cost and seems like it could totally work with the Beasts purview.

Ah shapeshifting.
    I've been butting my head on this ever since the second edition came out.
    I have not yet come to a satisfying solution but i can go over the thought processes i went through so far.

1st. Making it a marvel.
    This allows you to achieve different things depending on which Purview you tie the marvel to.
    The problem is that there wpuld be too many different things to properly express that mechanically.
    It would need to encompass, mobility (fly or pass through earth or shadows), attacking (shapeshifting into a tiger or fire), defending (truning to steel or stone) etc.

So eventually i reached the idea to have shapeshifting simply as a motif.
    See the shapeshifting itself isnt usually the goal. You shapeshift in order to achieve another ability.
    You want to fly so you transform into a bird. But the important part is the flying.
    Its also not a perfect solution and its very messy.
    But its sadly all i managed to work on so far.

Hope this helps

Completed campaign: Scion 2nd Edition. Les Légendes Currently playing: Being a dad for a 3 year old daughter and a 2 years old son and now a beautiful new baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
      Ah shapeshifting.
      I've been butting my head on this ever since the second edition came out.
      I have not yet come to a satisfying solution but i can go over the thought processes i went through so far.

1st. Making it a marvel.
      This allows you to achieve different things depending on which Purview you tie the marvel to.
      The problem is that there wpuld be too many different things to properly express that mechanically.
      It would need to encompass, mobility (fly or pass through earth or shadows), attacking (shapeshifting into a tiger or fire), defending (truning to steel or stone) etc.
      Making it a Marvel I could see it as creating a Condition with the name "I am a tiger" which gives a +1 to all rolls where the might, speed, power and intimidation factor of being a tiger comes into play. It would be powerful but not broken, or so I imagine. That is an easy way to do it I think, possibly with some its own built-in limitations of not being able to use Relics, weapons or tools during the duration as well as inability to talk normally.

Originally posted by Maitrecorbo View Post
      So eventually i reached the idea to have shapeshifting simply as a motif.
      See the shapeshifting itself isnt usually the goal. You shapeshift in order to achieve another ability.
      You want to fly so you transform into a bird. But the important part is the flying.
      Its also not a perfect solution and its very messy.
      The Animal Aspect boon on page 241 does this exact thing, so if I was looking for a very partial and/or narrative aspect of shapeshifting it is definitely where I would go.
      Last edited by Aristarkos; 01-08-2021, 03:13 PM.

Comment

In demigod you have Shapeshifting as an Immortal trickster knack.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post
          In demigod you have Shapeshifting as an Immortal trickster knack.
          I'm not planning on running anything above Hero but it sounds cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post

I'm not planning on running anything above Hero but it sounds cool!
            You can still use those knacks as a Hero. They arent Demigod only.

Comment

Could Denizens simply get those Knacks as Denizens Path, at Legend 0 even? Like, for example, werewolves race?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I think so, i mean kitsunes have Endless Masks. That is a shape shift with some limitation.

Comment

Answering the OP question, you have 3 options to Shapeshift your Hero into a Tiger, both use options that are not the ones written, but the ones suggested.

First: treat the act of changing shape as a “side effect” of the Beast boom more adequate to the chosen end (Tooth and Claw for the the combat aspect), the statistics are the same, but you are a Tiger while the Boom is working.

Second: Make it a Boom of Beast purview, you may pick the Sacred Animal effect to make it exclusive to a Tiger and gain a motif related to tigers, so the Boom is you Shapeshift to Tiger, beside that you can use booms related to the Tiger Strength, Dexterity and Stamina (as the Epic [Attribute] marvels), for example (works on the first option too).

Third: Make it a Knack, you may be a natural shapeshifter as a variation of Theriantrope, or you can have learned it from a Guide or gained form a relic (the panther mask from Catra, in original Shera is a possible inspiration).

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                  Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                  Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Honestly, transforming oneself or others into an animal is such a common theme in myth that they shouldn't have made it the Theoi-only PSP in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by PXGentleman View Post
                      Honestly, transforming oneself or others into an animal is such a common theme in myth that they shouldn't have made it the Theoi-only PSP in the first place.
                      There is Shapeshifting Flair for Antagonists - and some Immortal Knack in Hero or Demigod. ( If I recall correctly.)

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                      LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by PXGentleman View Post
                        Shapeshift is not a Theoi thing, all the heroes can shift into a form related to their purviews with easy. If you have Fire purview you can do a marvel to become fire, or a salamander, or a dragon, or lava, it can be a boom if you prefere to make it more often, but you can’t shift to water, for example.

What Theoi do is shifting into anything. thought? Rain? Animals? Rainbow? What ever, no limits, that is the Theoi thing, any of them can have absolutely any shape.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                        Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                        Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Which is not something I recall being in greek mythology.

Frankly, I'd much rather see someone take the notion of the original game's Arete and turn it into a viable PSP in 2e. Something like having the Theoi be to Scion as Talents are to TC: Arete Knacks that function like Talent Gifts, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
                            Which is not something I recall being in greek mythology.
                            Zeus was the big one for this. He appeared to one woman as a cow and another as a shower of gold. The Shapeshifting PSP lets you change other beings as well, which is fairly common in Greek mythology, I believe.

Comment

Zeus for the former, and a few one-offs where men were turned into pigs or women were turned into spiders as punishment. But those tend to be the exception, not the rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X