Shapeshifting for non-Theoi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Which is not something I recall being in greek mythology.
    Except for the gods themselves that manifest on Earth in all kinds of shapes (including golden shower... rain, golden rain).
    Frankly, I'd much rather see someone take the notion of the original game's Arete and turn it into a viable PSP in 2e. Something like having the Theoi be to Scion as Talents are to TC: Arete Knacks that function like Talent Gifts, for example.
    This one is the real thing! Arete was a bit overpowered in 1e, but it can be much easier to create based on the other purviews.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
    Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
    Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Frankly, I'd much rather see someone take the notion of the original game's Arete and turn it into a viable PSP in 2e. Something like having the Theoi be to Scion as Talents are to TC: Arete Knacks that function like Talent Gifts, for example.
      Well, you're in luck!
      https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by PXGentleman View Post
        That one was really awesome, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by PXGentleman View Post
          Really good approach!

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
          Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
          Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post

That one was really awesome, thank you!
            *Emerges*

That was me. I thought it up while wrangling shopping carts at one of my old jobs. Glad you like it.

Disclaimer: In favor of fun and enjoyment, but may speak up to warn you that you're gonna step on a metaphorical land mine

Comment

A solution to the OP's problem is presented in the Hero book under the Teotl 'nagual' creature birthright - you can either have a nagual as a spirit animal OR transform into it.

This means that the ability to transform into one creature is a birthright that can be bought with XP or at character gen, the cost dependent on the number of dots in the creature - a standard tiger is likely to be a 2-dot beast.

There is, however, no guidance on how you would play this (do you switch out your character sheet for the beast stat block while transformed, or are you presumed to have your other powers while transformed? What health do you use?)

I would personally rule that you gain the beast's skills, drives and tags, but cannot do things that that beast form could not, as in a DnD druid's wild shape e.g. talk, play the piano, hold a shield. And also that when the beast's health drops to 0, you revert to human form having taken the same hit point loss.
              Last edited by notMidas; 01-13-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Maybe I'm a bit rusty, but why couldn't you just replicate the Theoi PSP boon as a marvel of another purview?

Comment

Originally posted by ZipDrive View Post
                  Maybe I'm a bit rusty, but why couldn't you just replicate the Theoi PSP boon as a marvel of another purview?
                  That is exactly what I will do when push comes to shove. I don't see any problems with it, especiallyt as the book itself says that Boons can be replicated.

Comment

well keep in mind that the Theoi Motif is pleading to the gods, so while you’d take Metamorphosis Boons at Hero level if you’re Circe or Periclymenus, but otherwise it plays out as a favor from the gods if it’s a Marvel.

that said, there are some good Arete updates to 2e out there as an alternative PSP

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

For the OP, since the player just wants one Alternate form, I'd suggest taking it as a relic, maybe with a cost equal to the relevant Creature cost. The ability to change shape is often tied to objects in myth, often a pelt of the relevant animal.

And changing shape is a pretty common theme in classical myth, so much so that Ovid compiled a whole book of the Metamorphoses. The gods are always making people into trees or birds or snakes or disembodied voices. What seems out of place, honestly, is the changing back for anyone who isn't a god.

Comment

Working...
                      X