X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joboo
    started a topic Fatebinding Effects and Questions

Fatebinding Effects and Questions

So my group is working on moving from Origin to Hero and I am reviewing the Fatebinding rules.

This pops up a lot:
    "The Scion fulfills a Deed, and suffers a Failure Deed for an appropriate Calling."

What does this mean?
    I thought from my reading that a Failure Deed was something you do rather than suffer (I am not sure what suffering is in this context). Plus what is a Deed in this context? Are you fulfilling one of your Deeds that have nothing to do with what you are actually doing? Are you just checking it off your list or do you consider it complete?

OR

"Compel this Condition when the Scion reinforces a Virtue: She gains 1 Legend, but earns no Momentum and only slides her Virtue if it would move her toward the center of the track."

So its clear in some version of the rules, that fulfilling Virtues gave you Momentum, but its not the current one. Would the equivalent be to simple not allow the Scion to spend Momentum on the action?

Thanks.

• Kyman201
    replied
    Originally posted by Joboo View Post
    Thanks folks, there is a lot in this book that frankly doesn't make great sense and I will need to work with it/do my best interpretation.

Some more things

I can't find that Failure Deeds gives you XP anywhere. I do see where it allows you to change Callings.

Another question, I see when you gain a Fatebinding it is at Strength + 1. What is strength in this context? What is the fix so that not all FBs are at 1.
    I take it that this also can be used to like... Increase the Strength of an existing Fatebinding. Like if you have one at Strength 1, instead of gaining a new Fatebinding you can just improve its Strength by one.

Leave a comment:

• TheStray7
    replied
    I can't find that Failure Deeds gives you XP anywhere. I do see where it allows you to change Callings.

Another question, I see when you gain a Fatebinding it is at Strength + 1. What is strength in this context? What is the fix so that not all FBs are at 1.
    Well, it doesn't directly say that the Deeds give you XP...this is strictly my interpretation from the fact that they both to use the term "fulfill a Deed" in the first place. The purpose of Deeds as a game mechanic is to gain XP, ergo Failure Deeds (and Adoption Deeds) grant XP. If my interpretation is wrong, someone please correct me!

As for Fatebinding Strength starting higher than 1, I dunno if it does at Hero, unless you're using the optional rules in Mysteries of the World for Gold-level Evidence games, unless there's SG fiat involved. Fatebindings happen more often when you get to Demigod Tier and higher.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    Strength defines how long the FB lasts, if the strength is low, the bound breaks automatically over time, if it’s 5 not even death will break the bound.

You start FB strength at 1 (lasting a session) and roll immediately to see if it increases (the roll is Legend + Strength). Then, whenever the FB come to play, you roll again to check if Strength increases.

Leave a comment:

• Joboo
    replied
    Thanks folks, there is a lot in this book that frankly doesn't make great sense and I will need to work with it/do my best interpretation.

Some more things

Originally posted by TheStray7 View Post

So when you take your character's Fate and change it through Resolving a Fatebinding, you open your character up to the mystical consequences of Fate snapping back on them. Fulfilling a Failure Deed gains you Experience, just as if it were a Short-Term Deed. But you also shake your connection to Fate in the process.

Leave a comment:

• Mateus Luz
    replied
    I am not the Fatebinding guy, but my opinion is:

Failure deed would be forced to the character, basically the story would force the character to fail in the calling related to the fatebinding. For example, a fatebinding may force a guardian to act in their own advantage instead of protecting others, or a Judge to break rules.

In the end, Scion has a strong connection to the stories being told, even in the rules, mainly the fatebinding rules, so when you (as player) compel a fatebind you are forcing a specific story to be told, one that may force the character to reinforce or face their own nature.

When the character is forced into a failure deed it’s the character fate to fail in the deed, conscious or not, but in the end you as player will cause your character to fail on purpose. Your character don’t know about fatebinding, they know that some people come back and forth in their stories, but the character don’t know the player chooses it, in this case the player is as much fate as the Storyguide. Basically you as player is forcing your character fate to go this or that way.

Leave a comment:

• TheStray7
    replied
    So my group is working on moving from Origin to Hero and I am reviewing the Fatebinding rules.

This pops up a lot:
    "The Scion fulfills a Deed, and suffers a Failure Deed for an appropriate Calling."

What does this mean? I thought from my reading that a Failure Deed was something you do rather than suffer (I am not sure what suffering is in this context). Plus what is a Deed in this context? Are you fulfilling one of your Deeds that have nothing to do with what you are actually doing? Are you just checking it off your list or do you consider it complete?
    So this is my understanding of it (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Resolving a Fatebinding is meant to be Serious Business. Resolution of a Fatebinding usually has permanent effect on both the Fatebound character and the Scion they are Fatebound to. Reolving a Fatebinding results in the Scion temporarily stepping out of the Role that Fate has assigned for them. This shakes their connection to their Calling. You, the player, gain a benefit from doing this, but it's not such a great thing for your character.

Now, Deeds are both player-driven and character-driven. That means they are things that your character chooses to do, or that you chose to have done to them, and they are one of the ways Fate manifests in the game.

So when you take your character's Fate and change it through Resolving a Fatebinding, you open your character up to the mystical consequences of Fate snapping back on them. Fulfilling a Failure Deed gains you Experience, just as if it were a Short-Term Deed. But you also shake your connection to Fate in the process.

Each Calling has three Fatebinding Roles associated with it. Reolving a Fatebinding shakes your connection to Fate, so it counts as a Failure Deed even if your character didn't necessarily deliberately try to Fail at the Calling. It opens you up to potentially changing your Calling, if you perform an Adoption Deed for a different Calling, which reassembles your abilities and your character's sense of self. The important thing to remember is that deeds are things that you, the player, want to see happen, and are not necessarily in the best interests of your character. So while YOU know that Resolving a Fatebinding gives you a benefit, the character themselves might not want what's happening to happen.

This becomes hugely important when you get to Demigod, because one of the Deeds you have to perform to gain Legend and take a step toward Apotheosis is building up a Fatebinding to max level and then resolving it. In this instance, you are both playing your character, but also playing the hand of Fate in their lives.

But this is my interpretation of it. Does someone else have a different take?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X