No announcement yet.

[2E] Non-combatants in Scion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also kinda serious: where did you see history professors fighting manticores? Because if that was a regular part of the job... I'm pretty sure armor would be too. I don't think anyone here is going to argue that a history professor (unless they specialize in military equipment) is going to have a reason to wear body armor if all they do is normal academic stuff. Once they get wrapped up in adventuring they're not just a professor any more either.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      Also kinda serious: where did you see history professors fighting manticores?
      They look for Atlantean temple/research lab, and 'just like that' open portal to security facility Manticore is guarding. It's not my fault character just do not think to prepare in any way when opening locks to ancient tombs/weird magic places, without any arrangements and second thought...

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
      I don't think anyone here is going to argue that a history professor (unless they specialize in military equipment) is going to have a reason to wear body armor if all they do is normal academic stuff. Once they get wrapped up in adventuring they're not just a professor any more either.
      Good point. As I remember, Indiana Jones is using whip, guns and is build like greatest sportsman - and Daniel Jackson from Stargate SG-1 at the end of season 1 starts to use guns, from time to time.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Yes, my point was one to make to the professor's player: that certain real world assumptions aren't going to carry over to the World. On Earth, professors don't wear body armor, because ruins of temples are generally peaceful dig sites. In the World, professors that go out into the field know that it's possible that temples might have actual guardians watching over them that are pretty deadly. Protection isn't exactly unreasonable with the differences in setting.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          I assumed that each success over is next 1 Injury - so 1 successes is 1 Injury, 2 successes then 2 Injuries, 3 successes then 3 Injuries extra...
          I feel like the manticore’s ability to two-shot itself if this were right should have been your hint that it’s wrong.

Comment

So a direct sequal to the main topic...
            Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post

NO!!!!

Cause Injury Stunt causes 1 single injury and if you get the Critical stunt you cause a second injury. Its a very pulp system, a shot and a punch cause basically the same damage to the character.
            Run a second encounter with Manticore, by 3 new players. With new rules interpretation - 1 Injury on enemy till 5 Succes over Defense, then 2 Injuries - fight was relative easy. Manticore done only 3 injuries to one player, where the three players simply lay down it in 3 rounds. It even seems a bit... too easy, in my gut feel. Is there a thing I could missed? PCs where having typical of 3-4 success, with one non-combatant character creating +3 Enhancement per turn to one of fighting characters.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
            LGBT+ through Ages
            LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Well, combat can be a very unpredictable in Storypath (and other games with low HP).

There are a few things you can use to change a bit the balance and cause more injuries in the PCs or make the combat last longer (easier to just list them)
              - use mixed actions to injury more than one of them every round (one attack, spend the successes in multiple targets if you have enough to hurt more than 1)
              - use complicated and difficult stunts to cause problems to the most effective PC in combat (each success spent this way cause a complication 1 or increase +1 the difficulty next action)
              - cause indirect issues, field conditions, moving around, block line of sight, things like that. Combat in Storypath is cinematic, people jump, run and do flying kicks after jumping from the top of a wall. Maybe some fuel was leaking into the chamber, or the walls are collapsing, the fight can end and start again in the next scene.
              Last edited by Mateus Luz; 03-14-2021, 01:26 PM.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
              Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
              Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Mateus Luz View Post
                Maybe some fuel was licking into the chamber, or the walls are collapsing, the fight can end and start again in the next scene.
                Understood almost everything here - untill this one. What is 'fuel licking'? 🤔

LGBT+ through Ages
                LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Probably a typo of “leaking.”

Comment

Sure a typo combined with the autocorrect. It’s now correct!

Comment

My player point out that non-combatant character was giving +3 Enhancement for normal combatant ones with his 'cheap shots'. Should it work like that? Non-combatants adding Enhancements for proper combatants?
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-14-2021, 01:34 PM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Yes. A +3 often is not very common because 3 successes spent on that every round is not common.

Just notice that the character must do an action to be able to help, and the help must make sense. For example, singing (unless you are a bard) will not help the friends to hit their attack, it needs to make sense in game. It means you will have a certain difficulty to beat, and maybe complications, before can use your extra successes to help others.

Comment

So making 'cheap shots' to disorient enemy - still should pass the enemies Defense? In my example - if Manticore has Defense 4, then even non-combatants need to pass 4 before generating any Enhancments for others?

LGBT+ through Ages
                          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

So making 'cheap shots' to disorient enemy - still should pass the enemies Defense? In my example - if Manticore has Defense 4, then even non-combatants need to pass 4 before generating any Enhancments for others?
                            Yes, if the idea is to use cheap shots. The problem is, your manticore has defense 4 and no armor, if you split it in defense 2 and Soft Armor 2 the difficult to hurt it will be the same but to help will be lower. For example, you get 3 successes, if defense is 4 you can’t hit and so can’t help, but if it’s 2-2 you hit and give 1 success to your friend or cause a complication 1 to the manticore.

You could also try to distract it with the shot noises, maybe taunt it with insults, or using some torchers to visually distract. In this case you would not need to beat the full defense, as you are not trying to hit it, than the difficulty could be lower (1, for example) and have a complication 1 to make the manticore get distracted but not jump to attack you (Grant payed the complication in the Tyrannosaur scene in Jurassic Park, Malcolm didn’t). You don’t need to plan this before, you can discuss with the player and improvise the difficulty and complication at the moment.

Honestly, it’s hard to bring some of that ideas during the game, even more if the players focus on killing the target. But if it gets particularly hard to hit, they may start having fun with it. One thing Storypath makes different from storyteller (and most of the traditional RPGs) is you give the general action, roll the dice and with the result you describe what you got, while traditionally we describe the action, roll the dice and the GM describe the results, if you keep this in mind the games change a lot and become really narrative (what can be absolutely fun).

Comment

So making 'cheap shots' to disorient enemy - still should pass the enemies Defense? In my example - if Manticore has Defense 4, then even non-combatants need to pass 4 before generating any Enhancements for others?

More thinking about 'Cheap Shots' Stunt idea - maybe the non-combatant shooter need to achieveDefense/2 of enemy ( round down )? For monster like Manticore ( basic Defense 4 ) it would be there Difficulty 2 to achieve but for typical soldier ( with basic Defense 2 ) it would be Difficulty 1 to achieve for non-combatant. What do you think Mateus Luz? Does it sound more balanced?
                              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-15-2021, 05:30 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
                              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

I think you should really try to make use of the system as-is before you house rule stuff.

Remember that your primary combatant, if not scoring enough successes for a Critical stunt, will still want to spend them on something... like the Feint stunt which is the stunt for giving an ally Enhancements to attack the same target. And at some point your players might figure out that they can use the Bond system to boost each other easily (if too limited for every combat round).

There's a lot of ways for the PCs to get synergy and cooperation to get things to go in their favor. It really doesn't need help mechanically.

Comment

Working...
                                X