Guide Callings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide Callings

In Hero, page 205, it says that a Guide can enable buying Knacks in the Guide's Calling as if it was his own. What I'm wondering is how to handle Knack skill rolls or Knacks that on how many Calling dots the character possesses for how potent they are, for example Master of Weapons. I haven't seen any indication of how many dots the Guide grant in their Calling.
    Last edited by Aristarkos; 02-14-2021, 07:50 AM.

I realized that another question is how many dots you are considered having in the Calling for the purposes of having Knacks active.

Comment

The idea is the knacks you buy from a guide calling will use your other callings dots to be activated.

In the practice you legend is limiting the total number of knacks and booms, so all the knacks and booms you have must be “powered” by your Legend, by the calling dots or by the booms available.

The only Special Powers birthrights can grant you that have no limits are Stunts.

My doubt is if the Knacks granted by relics are limited this way or if they work different because they are generally weaker than regular knacks.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
      Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
      Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

I've been treating Knacks from Guides as "Any" Knacks -- ie, they can be tied to any one of your existing Callings. You can switch into and out of those Knacks with Tweaks between sessions.

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

The way i do it, is that when you need to calculate something using the knack dots use the Guide dots instead.
          So a Scion with a Guide 5 that grants the Warrior calling will use Master of Weapons as if he had Warrior 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post
            The way i do it, is that when you need to calculate something using the knack dots use the Guide dots instead.
            So a Scion with a Guide 5 that grants the Warrior calling will use Master of Weapons as if he had Warrior 5.
            Yeah I thought about that as well but it would be extremely powerful if that were the case. Why would anyone even brother with their own Calling dots that increases every other Legend rating instead of just buying Guides at a negligible cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Aristarkos View Post
              Why would anyone even brother with their own Calling dots that increases every other Legend rating instead of just buying Guides at a negligible cost?
              Cause Guides are still NPCs and you cannot take them everywhere you go. You need to go to Underworld? Your Guide is blocked there. You need to go to God Realm of other Pantheon? Your Guide is blocked there. Et cetera...

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
              LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                Cause Guides are still NPCs and you cannot take them everywhere you go. You need to go to Underworld? Your Guide is blocked there. You need to go to God Realm of other Pantheon? Your Guide is blocked there. Et cetera...
                Guides are not Creatures or Followers, you don't ever have to take them with you anywhere because their tricks, skills and lessons have already been imparted. Your argument could possibly work if we were talking about possible repercussions of showing off your Guide's tricks to the wrong people.

Comment

Yeah I thought about that as well but it would be extremely powerful if that were the case. Why would anyone even brother with their own Calling dots that increases every other Legend rating instead of just buying Guides at a negligible cost?
                  You have that condition where you are unable to use your guide if you burn it out, so its not 100%.

Also, this should be used to round up the character. If a player uses it to be Warrior/Guardian/Hunter/Lover/Sage/Trickster the GM is allowed to slap them in the head with the deluxe version of the Exalted 3ed book.

EDIT: Also, your real calling dots still limit the number of knacks you can keep active. A Guide doesn't help with that.
                  Last edited by Sakii; 02-15-2021, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sakii View Post

You have that condition where you are unable to use your guide if you burn it out, so its not 100%.

Also, this should be used to round up the character. If a player uses it to be Warrior/Guardian/Hunter/Lover/Sage/Trickster the GM is allowed to slap them in the head with the deluxe version of the Exalted 3ed book.

EDIT: Also, your real calling dots still limit the number of knacks you can keep active. A Guide doesn't help with that.
                    Ok, so in your interpretation any time you use the Guide's Calling it counts as invoking the Guide then? Well, that certainly limits the exploitation potential then.

I must admit I do not understand the Exalted reference since I haven't read or played it.

Comment

I must admit I do not understand the Exalted reference since I haven't read or played it.
                      Exalted 3e corebook is REALLY big and heavy book...

( So getting hit by it must hurt. )

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                      LGBT+ through Ages
                      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Ok, so in your interpretation any time you use the Guide's Calling it counts as invoking the Guide then? Well, that certainly limits the exploitation potential then.
                        No, i use the guide calling as a normal calling. But if for some reason you invoke the Guide, you will lose access to those benefits. So its not a sure fire access to extra callings.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Exalted 3e corebook is REALLY big and heavy book...

( So getting hit by it must hurt. )

Does it stop bullets like HERO system, though?

When the cat's a Stray, the mice will pray...

Comment

Hero is the armor, Exalted the weapon.

House Rules - The Basics - House Rules for Trinity Continuum
                            Fists of Flux - Inspired and Powered Martial Arts for Talents
                            Tomes of Inspiration - Rituals and Dark Magic in Fists of Flux

Comment

Working...
                            X