Trick Shot Knack

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trick Shot Knack

Ok, I have no idea how this Knack is supposed to work, the text description isn't helping. The only thing I think I understand is that you get benefits for showing off with ranged weapons but I don't understand HOW that works.

So lets say I have a player who takes this Knack and then decides to pull off a virtually impossible stunt, let's say she aims with two guns at two rocks so that the two bullets ricochet at the same time and then hit each other in the air. Let's say it's difficulty 9 for that roll. How does Trick Shot come into this equation then?

Since it's a Warrior Knack, Trick Shot is a bit more combat-focused than this, but if you wanted to apply it to the above example, here is how I read it. Instead of the the difficulty adding to the Difficulty of the roll, it would be applied as Enhancement. (I'd say Difficulty 9 is pretty high, even for that stunt, but let's roll with it.) Normal attack Difficulty is 1. Normally you'd then add 8 Difficulty due to the near impossibility of the stunt. Trick Shot converts that +8 Difficulty into 8 Enhancement. So you'd be rolling vs. Difficulty 1 with 8 Enhancement.

In combat, it works at a better scale, I think. Let's say your band is fighting an ogre with a relic axe. You decide to disarm the ogre to help out your band. You close your eyes and then fire your pistol. Normally, being blinded adds 1 Difficulty to your Shoot attacks. (See the Blinding and Blind stunts for Close Combat attacks and Thrown attacks, respectively.) Now, with Trick Shot, you'll get 1 enhancement to your roll to use for the Disarm stunt with no penalty from being blindfolded.

Comment

Originally posted by Florin View Post
      Since it's a Warrior Knack, Trick Shot is a bit more combat-focused than this, but if you wanted to apply it to the above example, here is how I read it. Instead of the the difficulty adding to the Difficulty of the roll, it would be applied as Enhancement. (I'd say Difficulty 9 is pretty high, even for that stunt, but let's roll with it.) Normal attack Difficulty is 1. Normally you'd then add 8 Difficulty due to the near impossibility of the stunt. Trick Shot converts that +8 Difficulty into 8 Enhancement. So you'd be rolling vs. Difficulty 1 with 8 Enhancement.

In combat, it works at a better scale, I think. Let's say your band is fighting an ogre with a relic axe. You decide to disarm the ogre to help out your band. You close your eyes and then fire your pistol. Normally, being blinded adds 1 Difficulty to your Shoot attacks. (See the Blinding and Blind stunts for Close Combat attacks and Thrown attacks, respectively.) Now, with Trick Shot, you'll get 1 enhancement to your roll to use for the Disarm stunt with no penalty from being blindfolded.
      Ok, so it seems I did not read this Knack wrong, it really is so immensely strong that you can basically add extreme amounts of Enhancements to any shooting roll if you just apply a little bit of creativity and persuasion. Even if there is a limit of +5e that still means that an imaginative player can have routinely +5e to any and all shooting attacks. I am very tempted to limit the amount of Knacks to the player's Warrior Calling dots.

Comment

You're going to have a hard time coming up with 5 difficulty, though. Remember, being blinded is a 1 point difficulty increase. So, riding a horse and shooting blind might only net them 2e.

Comment

Working...
        X