Fate and Prophecy in Scion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate and Prophecy in Scion

So I have a bit general, tonal grip with what to do with Scion setting.

Stories in Scion are based mainly on two pillars:
    1. Gods are real, god's children/servants have portion of their power ( Scions ).
    2. Fate is narrative story of everything, creating modern myths in World ( Fate ).

Now a bit problem with that I have is for the antagonists in the game - Should they easily see in to Fate and can predict, more or less, moves of their enemies? To Fate to work as 'mythical story', at least one side needs to acknowledge that conflict is MYTH, not simple 'paw-paw-paw from machine gun'. Of course, I mean large Fate related enemies - Gods, Dragons, Denizens bound with large Legend, etc.

Basically, question is this - If being has large Legend ( and so, heavy Fate ) should not it have some prophetic powers?

My newest story problem, relative directly to this topic - My PCs are doing Heist on Luwr, unsuspecting, it's Ladon Dragon Hoard. As Origin tier Scions party of 5, they basically have almost perfect plan - things like EMP generator, sleeping gas, floor plans. Looks like everything. The only one thing they are NOT suspecting, is that they are stealing from Dragon. And Ladon will get them, finally...

The thing is this - Should Ladon foreseen someone will try to steal her Hoard? NOT on the idea of 'I knew ever move you will make' - only even general 'I knew something will be bad, so I came by to check everything'? Cause, without Ladon presence, my PCs band will simply take everything that is in the museum. I'm okay with players winning, but I'm more concerned it does not sound as good story - and Fate does seem to like GOOD STORIES, i.e. Myths.

Basically, to change from 'perfect Heist' to good story - Ladon must suspect something will be off. And for it to suspect it - Fate need to guide her to future 'crime scene' => So Ladon would need some minor prophetic abilities from Fate itself.

Deciding on that is aim of this topic.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-28-2021, 05:33 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

There is problem with this premise, namely 'Whose story is this?' That is actually something that gets called out in Dragon, as the God's fatebindings basically Dragon's like Ladon into roles/mantles they don't want. We actually have clear answer here: it's your game FOR your players. The PCs literally have Fate on their sides. So Fate is trying to make their stories interesting. This is information is vital.

Now, independent of any prophetic or trope savvy shenanigans, Dragons have been portrayed as paranoid as heck. So maybe doing random spot checks with intermediates would be not be outside probabilities. Heck, "stealing a dragon's hoard" is a not uncommon mythic Deed, so normal draconic behaviour assumes Heroic/Demigod assassins and thieves will show up eventually. So in essence, yes draconic Ladon is expecting someone trying to steal their hoard. Ladon might even be planning on the thefts of some of their hoards.

Now, in terms of guessing that 'tonight is the night', I'm going to squash that. For draconic Ladon, every time they move is a risk. There is a reason their Flight wants to go home and hide in the Divine Realm. Furthermore, their Dragon Magic is not really of the 'predictive' kind, though 'pretending to be human' is definitely there; (Ladon is a patron in Dragon). For Denizen Ladon, we are talking about someone bound to a Fated role, and will be there to fulfil the job of being the 'unexpected obstacle' that the band doesn't plan for.

The question is "How does this chapter end"?
    Fighting a tier 4 enemy is a bit much for Origin level characters. Fake fighting to give them a scare, then showing up to blackmail/threaten the band into doing something else for Ladon to 'repay the debt' is very much a Dragon thing in the World. (See Ocean's 12 as an example of how this could generate stories)
    Getting the most important artefacts outs under the nose of a powerful enemy is still a strong story, worthy of the Trickster calling though, so physical confrontation isn't necessary. Having the players notice during the heist that the wealthy patron who owns what they are stealing not only showed up tonight, but is a freakin' monster will be awesome, even if they never worked out what, let alone WHO it is.

I can't shake the idea of the band having to high-tail it out of there, with a flying dragon breathing fire after them, but it isn't really appropriate for Origin characters...or Ladon for that matter. So time to be subtler.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
      I can't shake the idea of the band having to high-tail it out of there, with a flying dragon breathing fire after them, but it isn't really appropriate for Origin characters...or Ladon for that matter. So time to be subtler.
      I do not know this 'high-tail' phrase, but my original idea for plot was this:
      'Players steal from Ladon - and then she hunt them for the items from her hoard'.

I just wonder if the story of 'Scions stealing things, then dragon hunts them' is better for the narrative streak of Fate in setting - than 'Scions come across dragon then stealing his hoard'. What of those two options seems more Fate-like to you?

( Ladon is NOT written as full Tier 4 Dragon - rather like Denizen Ladon, based on Nemesis Archetype from Hero book. So not something totally overkilling from the start. )

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

I do not know this 'high-tail' phrase, but my original idea for plot was this:
        'Players steal from Ladon - and then she hunt them for the items from her hoard'.
        Okay there was an autocorrect there. Hightail should be one word.
        The binary presented in the above post would lend me to agree with the former more than the later but both fit Fate. In fact there isn't really an appreciative difference unless Ladon isn't there during the heist. Which again, works without fatebound Ladon.

Is Ladon being cunning, or just following Fate's design?
        Why do you need to know? How does it effect the story?

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

I will put Ladon on the heist scen only because whole heist is to get item that let's PCs open doors to Atlantean Dimension. If they will have item, they will disappear in one day from Earth to some weird Terra Incognita - and so Ladon could not exact it's revenge. Logically, from mythic perspective that wants everything to be INTERSTING, it's much more appropriate for the Legend to confront Scions and Ladon on the crime scene, then. Cause alternative is simply Scions vanishing from Ladon life.
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-23-2021, 11:13 AM.

LGBT+ through Ages
          LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
          X