• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lbeaumanior
    • Feb 2015

Crafting Relics

Greetings,

I have some questions regarding crafting, perhaps you can clarify for me:
    1. What Legend do you need to have to craft Relics?
    2. Any crafter can create a relic that grant access to a single Boon?
    3. Any crafter can create a relic that grants access to a Purview?

Also, do you get a new knack when getting extra calling dots? (Legend 2 and 4).
  • Critian Caceorte
    • Jul 2020

1. You need at least Legend 5, since that's Demigod level. Demigods can construct relics up to 3 dots, while Gods can create stronger relics. In addition, Demigods can Fatebind ordinary objects to turn them into 1 dot Relics, but this means that the Relic only works for the Demigod. Heroes can construct "minor" magical items like a sword that's better against werewolves (but nothing else), but that's the extent of what they can do.
    2. So long as you can craft relics and have the dots available, yes.
    3. So long as you can craft relics and have the dots available, yes.
    4. Indeed.

Comment

• lbeaumanior
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Critian Caceorte View Post
      1. You need at least Legend 5, since that's Demigod level. Demigods can construct relics up to 3 dots, while Gods can create stronger relics. In addition, Demigods can Fatebind ordinary objects to turn them into 1 dot Relics, but this means that the Relic only works for the Demigod. Heroes can construct "minor" magical items like a sword that's better against werewolves (but nothing else), but that's the extent of what they can do.
      2. So long as you can craft relics and have the dots available, yes.
      3. So long as you can craft relics and have the dots available, yes.
      4. Indeed.
      Critian Caceorte thanks for the answers! Do you have a page number for question 4?

Comment

• Critian Caceorte
        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by lbeaumanior View Post

Critian Caceorte thanks for the answers! Do you have a page number for question 4?
        Hero: Page 187, last paragraph (not the text box at the bottom.)

Comment

• lbeaumanior
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Critian Caceorte View Post
          Hero: Page 187, last paragraph (not the text box at the bottom.)
          I see that you get a new "slot" to use per Calling dot, but nothing about learning new knacks in the process:

Your character receives a new Boon per dot of Legend
          they possess. Heroes at Legend 1 possess 5 Calling dots, and
          thus may have five Knacks “active” at any one time even
          if they’ve purchased many different Knacks; additionally
          Calling dots increase the number of “active” Knacks
          . Your
          character receives a new Boon per dot of Legend they possess
          past Legend 2.

Comment

• ZipDrive
            • Jun 2018

Hopefully this is the right place: can someone please define much more clearly the difference between a tier 2 crafting project and a 1 dot relic? Explanations and examples would be super appreciated!

Comment

• Critian Caceorte
              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by ZipDrive View Post
              Hopefully this is the right place: can someone please define much more clearly the difference between a tier 2 crafting project and a 1 dot relic? Explanations and examples would be super appreciated!
              A tier 2 crafting project grants a +1 Enhancement to a specific roll: Using an enchanted sword to strike Rakshasa, for example. That sword's enhancement would then only apply to Close Combat rolls against Rakshasa.
              A 1 dot Relic is better in two ways (three, really): First, if the Relic has some flaw attached to it, then the Relic can have more effects active to it than a measly +1 Enhancement, such as a Purview or something to that effect. For 1 dot, a Relic could also grant access to a Boon or a Knack.
              Second, The specific Enhancement gained from a Relic covers a small range of situations. A Relic sword wouldn't just be easier to attack with against Rakshasa, it might also apply that Enhancement against all Knack rolls against them, it might apply in trying to intimidate them, etc.
              Third, A Relic's origin can be used as a source of free enhancement for social rolls depending on if it's relevant to the situation or not. This combines with the above Enhancement as well, making it once again easier to use against Rakshasa.

Altogether, Tier 2 Crafting Projects provide a singular benefit, while Relics actually grant a variety of options depending on how they are built and used.

Comment

• ZipDrive
                • Jun 2018

Presumably the +1e to striking a rakshasa stacks with the melee tag for a total of +2e. Would something like "+1e vs. Asura be too broad for a t2 craft?"

Comment

• glamourweaver
                  • Nov 2013

Just a thought, but certain Denizens should have Knacks that let them construct Relics normally impossible at their Legend level. Like Norse Dwarves shouldn’t need to be gods to make relics the Gods want

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

• literatzi
                    • Nov 2014

I misread Mysteries of the World when they introduced needing an appropriate Path to construct a Relic, and thought they meant you could attempt a craft project one tier higher than you usually could if you had an appropriate Path. When a friend pointed out my mistake I decided to keep it as a house rule, since it let mortals do Tier 2 projets if it made sense, and let my Hero players build Relics if they tied closely to a Path.

It's worked well for my table since it lets me have mortal magicians and witches who just use Tier 2 projects for a lot of their effects, and the Incarnation of Heimdallr in my game is reforging gjallarhorn without waiting for Demigod. Your mileage may vary, I don't have anyone who is seriously specced out to build Relics in my game so I imagine some Knacks and Boons might make this house rule a bit too much at the Heroic Tier.

Comment

Working...