[Fan] New Dragons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fan] New Dragons

Topic for your idea of new Dragons for the Scion Dragon book setting. Even some truly non-canon.

My take - as birds are de facto dinosaurs – so fire bird is fire reptile – i.e. Dragon.

1.Phoenix

Phoenix is a long-lived bird that cyclically regenerates or is otherwise born again. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor. Some legends say it dies in a show of flames and combustion, others that it simply dies and decomposes before being born again.

He was known to almost all writers of classical antiquity, beginning with Herodotus, who, however, doubted his existence, although he described legends related to him. According to him, the phoenix was the size and appearance of an eagle with golden-red plumage. He came to Egypt from Arabia every 500 years, bringing in the sphere of myrrh the remains of his predecessor laid on the altar of the sun at Heliopolis.

According to another ancient source, Phoenix was supposed to come from India, from where, after 500 years of life, it would go to the Lebannon Forest, where it "bathed its wings in perfume"; then he flew to Egypt, where on the altar of the sun in Heliopolis, in the month of Adar, the priests prepared a special pyre on which he burned and rose after three days.

According to Ovid, he was to eat drops of incense and cardamom juices, and after 500 years of life, he would build a nest filled with cassia bark, nard spines, yellow myrrh and cinnamon, and then he would die and reborn on his own, and he would take his nest to the city of Hyperion, again in an altar dedicated to the sun.

In reality, Phoenix is survivalist. He adopted to various Pantheons – Netjer, Theoi, even Deva – just to not be forgotten. He is not interested in Gods and Dragons war, he only points to his own survival. He even forgot his starting Flight, those millennia ago – or has he never chosen one?

Phoenix is known to travel the World – but also to hide. He return to his own Lair is flaming Terra Incognita, Heart of Fire, where no one, but himself can survive. His Heirs are known to recreate those environments as close as they can on Earth.

Callings: Mystic, Nomad, Primeval
    Memory: Being reborn in fire, Betrayal from Gods and Dragons a like, Travel to Heart of Fire
    Dragon Magic: Animal Control, Elemental Manipulation (Air), Elemental Manipulation (Fire), Understanding
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 05-17-2021, 08:42 AM.

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
    LGBT+ through Ages
    LGBT+ in CoD games

I love this! I have nothing to contribute, except to ask for more like this

Comment

Cool! We need more content like this!

Comment

Don't forget the Phoenix is linked to the Russian pantheon as the Firebird, and has connections to the Chinese, Japanese, and Iranian pantheons too. Also read Adventures in Unhistory, the Phoenix must be connected to the New Agers as well.

Comment

The Red Dragon of Wales would be one to write up. Fiercely protective towards humanity, profoundly loving, outrageously furious. He is associated with rain and subterranean water. A healer, singer, poet, scholar, and brawler.

Comment

Hmm. Mokele-mbembe might make an interesting one. Not sure what it'd be though.

ADDED: Probably some sort of introverted loner with an affinity for water magic, who enjoys eating hippopotami.🤔
            Last edited by No One of Consequence; 05-23-2021, 01:42 PM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

The Ouroboros would also make an interesting dragon idea, I think. Especially with a lot of the alchemical associations.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

So, interestingly, way back in the days of the Roman Empire, the people of the region known as Dacia used as their banner a wolf-headed dragon. Dacia is an area around the Carpathian Mountains and the Black Sea, encompassing present day Romania. One of the core regions of Romania is the former principality of Walachia. This principality was ruled for a period of time by Vlad the Dragon and his son Vlad the Impaler, better known as Dracula (son of the Dragon or little dragon). I feel there is a pressing need - nay, a demand! - that the Dacian Draco/Dracul be a Scion Dragon. Because if I can't have Count Dracula as a Dragon patron, I will be very cross.

Comment

My first takes on mentioned Ouroboros and Dracula Dragons, mentioned by @No One of Consequence – full write-ups will need a bit more research, and I expand this post then, but basic ideas are those. Ouroboros is Water Mystical, being described as ‘snake of infinity’, compared to Pheonix being Fire Mystical Dragon. DraculDacian Dragon - on the other hand, comes from analysing vampiric Dracula powers, most popular, at least. ( I stick to Bram Stoker's Dracula from 1992, as it’s my favorite interpretation. )

1. Ouroboros

Callings: Collector (Knowledge), Healer, Mystic
                  Memory: Awoken in Great Water, Return to Source, Feeling the Dying World around you
                  Dragon Magic: Decay, Elemental Manipulation (Water), Transformation, Understanding

2. Dracul (Dacian Draco)

Callings: Guardian, Predator, Ruler ( or Mystic, depending on Vlads interpretations )
                  Memory: Awakening in the Mother Land ( ground ), Hunting on the interlopers, Defending the Mother Land, Previous lives reincarnate all over again
                  Dragon Magic: Animal Control, Elemental Manipulation (Earth), Fear, Illusions ( Weather Control?)

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
                  LGBT+ through Ages
                  LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Hmm. The Phoenix, The Red Dragon of Wales, The Mokele-mbembe, The Ouroboros, and The Dacian Draco. That would make a pretty good Storypath Nexus thing.

Hmm. Maybe the Russian/Eastern Slavic Tugarin? A cruel glutton associated with fire.

Comment

Gwangcheol from Korean folklore? He wanted to ascend as a dragon, but failed for various reasons. Now he rages across the lands, breathing out fire and inflicting drought on the fields, similar to how "western" dragons are popularly characterized. Maybe in the context of Scion, he wanted to be a God but failed/ was rejected, and acts as a Dragon out of spite.

I guess I need to pick up Scion now...

MtAw Homebrew:
                      Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
                      New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

I wonder if it would be possible to do Bruce Lee somehow.🤔

Comment

Bruce was a Philosophy major, an impressive artist, and a highly skilled warrior. That combo fits many dragons in world Mythology. Heck, I've seen a recent YouTube video that makes a very strong case for the ancient Israelites seeing Jehovah as a dragon (Seraphim were winged fire breathing serpents). So making Mr. Lee the Scion of a scholar/poet/warrior dragon.

Comment

Me being who I am (which is a giant dork), I'd probably end up having either his patron or Lee himself, if he became a true dragon, be named Fei Long (the flying dragon), after the Street Fighter character who was based on Lee.

Comment

Try this wild little YouTude video. Then try this idea. Seraphim, the highest order of Christian Angels are winged serpents that breath fire. Try the idea of the Seraphim as a group of Dragons sworn to protect humanity and promote the moral development of humankind. One faction follows Jehovah and is allied with the God El, The other faction is lead by Samael and allied to the Morning Star.
                              Last edited by Astromancer; 06-18-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X