No announcement yet.

Other Native American Gods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do recommend Edward Bonekemper's The Myth of the Lost Cause. It gives a pretty good overview of how the Civil War came about and how the mythology and misinformation about it developed afterwords. (Also an interesting comparison between Lee and Grant as generals based purely on numbers.)

As far as Native American pantheons, as much as I'd love to see the Dine/Navajo and their related gods/heroes (being a long time fan of Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn & Chee mystery novels), I understand some of the cultural sensitivity hurdles that prevent that.

I'm hoping maybe we'll get to see Cherokee or Muskogee/Creek pantheons at some point. The Inuit would also be pretty cool. Also some of the native Columbian gods, and the Mayan.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
      I do recommend Edward Bonekemper's The Myth of the Lost Cause. It gives a pretty good overview of how the Civil War came about and how the mythology and misinformation about it developed afterwords. (Also an interesting comparison between Lee and Grant as generals based purely on numbers.)

As far as Native American pantheons, as much as I'd love to see the Dine/Navajo and their related gods/heroes (being a long time fan of Tony Hillerman's Leaphorn & Chee mystery novels), I understand some of the cultural sensitivity hurdles that prevent that.

I'm hoping maybe we'll get to see Cherokee or Muskogee/Creek pantheons at some point. The Inuit would also be pretty cool. Also some of the native Columbian gods, and the Mayan.
      Regarding the Diné, from what I know, they don't have rules against sharing for most of their mythology (unlike the neighbouring Pueblo peoples), but are by now pretty much politically opposed to it because what rules they have have been broken a few times too often. So in their case it's not traditional prohibitions and more having been hurt once too often. Which is a crying shame, because Diné mythology is beautiful. I don't know the situation for the Cherokee, Maskoki, and Inuit, though we have a community member who is Chahta (Choctaw) and working on their Pantheon. Latin America is generally easier because there are fewer sacred prohibitions and the history of the peoples is simply different, making them less resistant to sharing. In many cases, native mythologies are also seen as part of the general national identity of Latin American countries today, and while one shouldn't just go with what the mestizo majority says about indigenous identity, it does present additional avenues of access. I certainly have my ongoing research on fan versions of Maya and Muisca Pantheons

Comment

Many Native American deities were worshiped by more than one tribe. It occurs to me that some of the deities might be both the deity/patron of a living tribe and mourning a tribe now extinct. There are chances for drama in that.

Also, let's remember that present day archeology is showing that the pre-contact Native Americans conducted fierce wars among themselves. Some of these appear to have been genocidal in effect and probably purpose. Other groups of Native American gods might be laying low for reasons that are totally about relationships between different groups of Native American gods. Let's not be ethnocentric and assume they're aren't plenty of internal dynamics in the Native American communities.
        Last edited by Astromancer; 08-02-2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tytalan View Post
          I noticed that the two Native American god group are from very distant areas the one is Central America based and the other is more northern based. Is there plans on covering other groups like like the south west or Great Plains? Has anyone worked on these? Or other North American groups? What about the South American mythology’s yea we has some of that with the central but there is much more. I know the Onyx Path can’t do all of them and the Native American mythology’s are both Hard to get information about and include a large number of different groups.

This is a very interesting topic and it has not been fully studied, because there were so many tribes on the territory of America, so many different beliefs. Some part of the culture and traditions is still preserved, but this is very little to get sufficient access to the study of beliefs.

Comment

Working...
          X