Greater Titans in 2e?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greater Titans in 2e?

In 1e, Greater Titans were God-level threats, so maybe we haven't gotten there yet. But it does seem that there is a different, less Hellenic, approach to titans in general and Greater Titans in particular.

Are there plans for world-sized Muspelheim, Zrvan, and the rest, as living planes of existence, enormous embodiments of an overwhelming elemental idea? Or has that idea been toned down out of respect for Pantheons with a less adversarial relationship with their associated Greater Titan (or no relationship)?

Greater Titans are not a thing anymore, no. The concept sort of works from an RPG standpoint, but not from an actual mythological standpoint. Not even in the mythologies you mentioned. There are no cross-cultural overtitans even in Greco-Roman mythology, and the entities themselves are more Lovecraftian than anything else. Hope this clarifies things?

Comment

Are Primordials Pantheon specific like Titans are? I think the answer is yes, but I wanted to double check and find out for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Penelope View Post
        Are Primordials Pantheon specific like Titans are? I think the answer is yes, but I wanted to double check and find out for sure.
        Yes.

Like unless they are specifically a figure that is acknowledged in multiple pantheons, the same as most other figures.

Comment

That makes sense. Thanks.

Comment

Yeah; the Primordials have basically replaced 1e's Greater Titans, but without the innate antagonism that 1e had.

Comment

Primordials are so big an mysterious even to the Gods, you can always have the possibility that some Primordials are faces of the same vast being, so the game isn’t going to say that Oludomare, HaShem/Jehovah/Allah, and Ahura Mazda AREN’T the same True Creator - but the pantheons certainly relate to them separately.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Grevnor View Post
                Greater Titans are not a thing anymore, no. The concept sort of works from an RPG standpoint, but not from an actual mythological standpoint. Not even in the mythologies you mentioned. There are no cross-cultural overtitans even in Greco-Roman mythology, and the entities themselves are more Lovecraftian than anything else. Hope this clarifies things?
                It does, thanks. I'm glad that they're doing better research this time, and making the game's focus less eurocentric.

However - I'm going to miss the Lovecraftian elemental greater titans. Three or four of them were really well-thought out, and I was looking forward to seeing them fleshed out more with the new edition.

Ah, well. On to the underworld(s)!

Comment

Working...
                X